Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mornings - what to eat and not eat
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 04, 2008 11:46AM

What would be the ideal things to eat in the morning?

I've heard that melons and lemons/limes are the ideal wakeup call for your digestion (because of their ph?), and that you should then move on to bananas and other heavier fruit, and eat greens and other proteins at noon.

So many times I see people say that they start off their day with some kind of smoothie where greens and heavy fruit (and maybe even flax or hemp seeds) are all blended together. It seems like a rude wakeup call for your stomach. IMHO

Wouldn't greens be beter eaten at noon? Tha Arcadian Rythm has this concept that the position of the sun triggers the liver to to properly digest proteins (like greens and seeds) when the sun is high in the sky.

Set me right here if you have another veiwpoint.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mornings - what to eat and not eat
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 04, 2008 11:50AM

i agree lillian. i like a green smoothie in the morning, but usually not until 10am-11am if i have been up since 4:30am-5:00am. i usually either take lemon juice squeezed into water or fresh squeezed oj before that. this is a routine i have sort of naturally been drawn into... as drinking smoothies first thing in the morning felt "forced" on my digestive system.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:11PM

I hear you. My opinion is that one should eat according to one's activity. I'm more active around 11 - 1 - so I eat heaviest then. At breakfast, I agree with you. Melons are great....as is fresh citrus. Even a glass of water will stimulate the bowels and eliminatory faculties....and help give you a light start to your day! Each person must decide what eating style/frequency is best for THEM. Those trying to lose weight and raise the metabolism should eat smaller meals - more often (just my opinion/experience). Those trying to gain weight should eat much larger meals...perhaps twice per day....and exercise to gain muscle mass.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:44PM

I always want something very light and juicy for breakfast--berries are AWESOME, and I'll sometimes have mangoes after. Bananas, guavas, anything heavier tends to screw up my hunger patterns for the rest of the day--I just want to eat heavy things, all the time.

Greens, sprouts, and proteins are totally out of the question, although sometimes it tempts me to nibble sprouts when I give them their morning rinse. >8)

My battle right now is to not eat so late at night, so melons are making a LOVELY final meal for me that I can trust not to ferment too much. =)

A fruit smoothie, even if it has some bananas and hemp seeds, though, is a LOT sweeter of a wake-up call than waffles, bacon, sausage, eggs, and french toast.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 04, 2008 05:53PM

When I first wake I usually drink water with about half a lemon squeezed in it. Then my first meal is a smoothie made with hemp milk, bananas, dried fruit, soaked seeds, raw cacao, etc, etc. I tend to eat this around 11am, but it can be anywhere between 8am and 2pm!

When I was living in Spain, I tended to eat more juicy fruit in the morning, oranges, melons, that kind of thing, but here my smoothie works well for me.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: SandraDee ()
Date: March 04, 2008 06:10PM

lol... I'm at the other end of the scale. I've always been a morning person. So I like to eat whatever while I'm at work from 7:30 to 4 pm and then pretty much nothing else after that. I like to have an empty tummy for bedtime.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:24PM

you know, i would like to be more into that SandraDee. i get snacky later on but i often don't eat until 11AM or later.

water, tea, fruit appeal to me in the morning.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:43PM

When I ate SAD I used to have my biggest and heaviest meal of the day for breakfast. Now I like to do just the opposite. I like light easy to digest smaller meals early in my day moving toward heavier foods as the progresses.

Date: March 05, 2008 03:25AM

It seems like everyone naturally gravitates towards a light first meal. Thanks for all the info, it confirms what I read!

It's the breaking of the fast, (breakfast) and it's interesting that on longer fasts like the Lemonade Diet/Master Cleanse they do something similar and reccommend eating oranges to break the fast and wake up the digestive system.

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: March 05, 2008 11:14PM

i love fresh juice(orange especially, I just bought a case of hamlin oranges), it seems to be light on my belly and allows great BM's in the morning. i like light in the morning and heavier in the afternoons. just my opinion.
brooke

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 06, 2008 02:05AM

When do you FEEL hungry? That is the right time for your body to consume fuel. I wake up and eat a full breakfast and then have small meals in the day time.
For breakfast I normally have peanut butter with fruit (apple or orange), and sometimes oats and then later a banana. The most important thing is that you listen to your body.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 06, 2008 04:31AM

Hmmm... I used to not eat at all in the morning and my evening meal was the big one. Now, I like a big breakfast and then just snacking throughout the rest of the day.

Date: March 06, 2008 07:15AM

So now that I've got mornings down, what would be the IDEAL way to end the day. This is something that has always stumped me, but what would make sense is that; if breakfast is the breaking-of-the-fast, then the last thing one eats at night should be in preparation for a fast - any clue to what the ideal way to start a fast is? Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables