Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pepsi Raw
Posted by: No5 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:24AM

[pepsiraw.co.uk]

Ingredients include...

Sparkling Water
Cane Sugar
Apple Extract
Colour
Natural Plant Extracts
Tartaric Acid
Citric & Lactic Acid
Gum Arabic
Xanthan Gum

This beverage might be healthier than other colas but there's no way it is raw. I wonder if Pepsi is intentionally misusing this word to take advantage of the increasing popularity of the raw movement. Even if they aren't it's unfortunate that naming like this is legal since it reduces a word with an important definition down to a meaningless buzz word.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pepsi Raw
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:26AM

Raw? Think: 'fresh, unprocessed plant foods' instead...and Pepsi raw has none of the above. Is Pepsi capitalizing on consumer demands - perhaps so. Is this surprising? Certainly not. LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:44AM

perhaps they mean raw like cool is hot or hot is cool or phat is cool or wicked is good. etc. a buzz word for sure. raw is, i think, way too fringe and way too far out of their target market for them to be capitalizing on it. what a poor marketing move on their part that would be.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:23AM

r

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2008 03:25AM by rawmilk.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:40AM

i like it! it means some madison avenue marketing genius has decided that "RAW" = HEALTHY. the world can't be far behind...

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:57AM

Pepsi=poison, but for sure it's a good sign that "raw" =healthy/good/cool!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 05, 2008 12:17PM

I initially laughed out loud when I heard about this.

If that drink is 'raw', is the regular brand Pepsi Toxic Swamp?

I'm kind of glad that they're doing this though. I'd much rather someone drank this type than diet pepsi etc.

When I used to drink cola-type drinks, I would always drink an organic-version of cola if I could find a health food shop, but in general, I'd end up drinking a yucky commercial version because 1) it was cheaper and 2) easier to obtain. Having a massive company like Pepsi release a healthier version of its drink is kind of a breakthrough and a step in the right direction away from aspartame and dodgy preservatives.

So I'm all for change in this department- since, at the very least, it might get people googling 'raw' and finding sites like this :-)

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 05, 2008 02:39PM

I saw A sign for non-fructose corn syrup Dr Pepper at Jason's Deli a month ago. It was made from cane sugar. It may not be the best but is certainly the right direction.

Organic used to be a health food store item and now my Kroger has expanded their organic section to about a fourth of their produce. This is in one of the unhealthiest states. There is now more availability and better prices all because of exposure. If the word raw becomes more mainstream I think it can only be a good thing. "Raw" may not mean the same thing we want it to mean but hopefully it will be a trend toward healthier choices.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 08:50PM

I know a friend of mine who buys natural soda sometimes. She says it is just aerated water with sugar and fruit essence. I have never tried it.. But to say that Pepsi "raw" is raw with all its ingredients, it is ridiculous. Just a marketing gimmick.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 09, 2008 01:23PM

The "secret ingredients" in coke and pepsi are essential oils. Those are decidedly not raw. Distilling is not raw. You have to use temperature the boiling point of the fluid to make it work. Essential oils are not all that natural if you ask me, it takes a great deal of energy and material to extract even the smallest quantities of oil.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 09, 2008 05:12PM

It still has sugar as the second ingredient and so it's still over-sweetened as it probably needs to be due to it's acidic, bitter, or maybe chalky taste without it. They should try adding Blackstrap Molasses instead..that at least has minerals and vitamins in it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 09, 2008 06:04PM

God, that's worse than Organic Rice Krispies!

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 04:15PM

LOL LOL LOL

I love it. I also saw Organic Frosted Flakes. Woo hoo, that makes them healthy now!! Right on. Well ... at least the world is moving in the right direction. Recognizing the importance of eating organically and less harmful chemicals in the Pepsi. Maybe someday these things will become more commonplace and affordable and accessible for everyone!

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 10, 2008 05:26PM

I hope so Angie. It'd be nice if that trend came along with an "honesty and integrity" trend. This looks more like a trend of disingenuous marketing strategies aimed at people who want to live healthier.

I think the people on this forum are the type that tend to do their own research about nutrition and the products that are out there, but I think that represents a minority. Most people will probably buy into this stuff non-discriminately in hopes that it will ease their health problems without sacrificing anything. Decent people, maybe not too bright, but decent people with good intentions will spend all kinds of money on these products without realizing what it's really doing to them. Kind of makes me sad.

-DaveK

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 01:24PM

Yeah, I know. I see it every day. I work in a convenience store, and people spend LOTS of money on the "healthier" fare like General Mills cereal bars, milk, whole-grain Power Bars... The latest thing is all this "Vitamin Water." Sobe, Dasani, Crystal Geyser, Glacier - we have two huge coolers of it. Flavored water with artificial colors, artificial vitamins, artificial sweetners. "But it's just water! It must be GREAT for you!" I dunno -maybe it's healthier for you then a candy bar, but if not I'd rather have the candy bar! haha

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: March 14, 2008 03:11AM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raw? Think: 'fresh, unprocessed plant foods'
> instead...and Pepsi raw has none of the above. Is
> Pepsi capitalizing on consumer demands - perhaps
> so. Is this surprising? Certainly not. LOL.
>
> -David Z. Mason

What about juice though? And how about if you vacume seal the juice & freeze/refrigerate it. How many minutes/hours must ellapse before it becomes "unraw".

It's a hard line to draw.

Though it's pretty obvious this product is not in the least bit raw.

- ***z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 03:12AM by jamielor.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 14, 2008 04:55PM

**Z,

<<How many minutes/hours must ellapse before it becomes "unraw".>>

It depends on many things, surface area exposed to O2 compared to volume, visible and UV light exposure, specific components, temperature, and pressure.

Keep it in a tall, skinny container filled all the way to the top with minimal headspace in the fridge and you will get a couple of days out of it.

Pour it on a flat plate in the hot sun and it will be ruined in a few hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables