Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is 40 really fabulous?
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 05, 2008 10:05PM

I'll be 42 in April so I'm already beyond fabulous but my question isn't about age...

The accepted temperature for refrigerators is 40*F (4.5*C). But it dawned on me today that this is basically to keep cooked food-type items fresh, like meat, milk, eggs, opened containers, etc., When I go to the co-op for my groceries, the veggie coolers never feel that cold. Is 40*F optimal for raw foods?

What do you keep in your refrigerator and what temperature do you keep it at?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is 40 really fabulous?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 05, 2008 10:11PM

i keep it all except bananas and tomatoes in the fridge at whatever temperature it was factory set at. if not, we get invasions of fruit flies like crazy!
i set out what i want to eat so it warms to room temp sometimes but not always.

Date: March 05, 2008 10:23PM

I used to keep everything in the fridge because I like my fruit and veggies cold and crisp. I definitely keep tomatoes in the fridge! I know that's not optimal, but they're not in there long enough to affect them adversely. Tomatoes are just HUGE red M&Ms to me.

My fridge is still set at 40*F but it seems too cold for things like cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, etc., Even for my greens sometimes. (But I haven't figured out a way to dry my greens after washing them yet. Buying a Salad Spinner would be hypocritical because I made soooo much fun of them when they came out! Now that I understand the purpose behing them, well...

(My addiction has switched from champaign mangoes to red/yellow/orange peppers as of today. Very odd.)

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 05, 2008 10:34PM

My experience is that foods often become sweeter and firmer when chilled - although many prefer closer to room temperature. In any event, as long as the temperatures do not frost or freeze the water in your produce....or the produce become waterlogged....then chilling only reduces the enzymatic action. Anywhere between 40 and 60 sounds fine - it's a matter of preference.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:45AM

I've just had to use the fridge for storage reasons--the market I love to shop at is 20 minutes away, so I go once a week. In any case, factory settings have always been fine for keeping my strawberries fresh for a week, and it's never given me problems with tomatoes or anything else.

Question: does the enzyme action re-increase when the food is heated inside of you? Or is it best to let it come back to room temperature and then eat it? O.o

Date: March 06, 2008 03:52AM

That's a good question. I would imagine that since many foods are partially liquidized in the mouth....and then even more so in the stomach.....that VERY rapidly any cold (or hot food) is brought into whatever 'standard' temperature is in the body. Thus...any enzymatic action would still be present...and re-activated upon warming in the body. Just my thought/speculation.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 06, 2008 04:27AM

I don't understand enzymatic action or how it reacts to hot and cold. Is it a bad thing to consume hot or cold foods and beverages? I do drink my water at room temperature. I lived in Europe for a spell and got used to not having ice. So much so that I don't want cold beverages anymore. I always ask for "no ice."

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:50PM

I keep my fridge on the lowest setting. We have a brand new super energy efficient fridge and on the factory setting everything I had was almost frozen. Back when we used butter the butter would be like a rock. I had to turn down the settings in my freezer too though.

Date: March 06, 2008 04:16PM

Opinion: I don't think it matters (hot or cold) - because the body rapidly brings it to core temperature (98 degrees or whatever). So the enzymes that help digest and break down the food would be present...as long as the food itself wasn't damaged by freezing, cooking or processing.....if you subscribe to such an explanation.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 06, 2008 04:39PM

Posted by: davidzanemason (IP Logged)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:16AM

Opinion: I don't think it matters (hot or cold) - because the body rapidly brings it to core temperature (98 degrees or whatever). So the enzymes that help digest and break down the food would be present...as long as the food itself wasn't damaged by freezing, cooking or processing.....if you subscribe to such an explanation.

-David Z. Mason

Like Hooked On Phonics, it works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables