Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw olives?!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:31PM

Where can I find some of these?!

My entire life, I hated olives. Two days ago, though, my roommate came back from Montreal with fresh olives marinated in some kind of garlic and spices--not sure what--and they smelled so good, I had to try one! And holy cow, they were *delicious.*

My boyfriend, who loves olives, immediately seized the opportunity and brought over a fancy jar of almond-stuffed olives. I was kind of craving them last night, so I opted to try one, even though they were pasteurized (boo). They were fabulous... so I did end up eating several more than one. angry smiley

Aaaand I had to make my way to Whole Foods to see what I could find today--all I did find were some jalepeno-stuffed olives that were ambiguously labeled. I figure there is heat generated during the machine-pitting process that is not optimal from a raw perspective. =\

It might be the sodium, the fat, some other nutrient, I'm not sure, but I want some more olives!! I don't want to keep eating them if they aren't raw, but my body's definitely craving something in them, so I'd like to address the situation as wisely as possible.

Thanks! =)

On another note, healed palettes are amazing. I NEVER thought olives would taste good to me, ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw olives?!
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:38PM

you can be pretty sure that most if not all of the olives at the grocery store, including fancy organic olive bar at whole foods, are not raw. but you can order them online:
[www.naturalzing.com]
[elfwholesale.com]
[www.rawguru.com]

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:42PM

if you live in Canada...
www.realrawfood.com

Date: March 06, 2008 10:09PM

Wicked. Thanks! I think I like Kalamata olives most... yum!!!

Edit: "Olives are the fruit highest in minerals and the #1 mucus dissolving food." (from one of those sites) Is that true? I've been trying to cut out all the foods slowing my detox (mostly overt fats), and while it has been hitting me harder the past few days, olives are really striking a chord with me.

Can't WAIT to try some raw! XD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 10:21PM by phantom.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 06, 2008 11:51PM

i've never tasted raw olives... But i drool on my keybord when i see the pictures on the online food stores....hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:57AM

Not sure where you are posting from, but if in New york city, Westerly health food store at 54th & 8th carries a few different varieties of raw olives in the back of the store where they have a raw deli. I've seen some of sunfood nutrition's black olives there and the brand posted in that first website. Good luck on your olive hunt!

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 07, 2008 10:41PM

We have an olive tree. It rocks! If you can plant do it.

Date: March 08, 2008 02:54AM

What climate zones are good for olive trees?

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 08, 2008 03:50AM

phantom you are cracking me up with your olives.

"can i grow them? can i snort them? can i cuddle them in bed with me at night? what bedtime stories do you think olives like? do you think bathing in a tub full of raw olives and organic olive oil might aid my detox process?"

you might need to seek treatment! smiling smiley

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:27AM

lol this thread is great.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Date: March 08, 2008 06:19PM

Depending on the variety you can grow them in zones 8 and 9 but most do best in zones 10 and 11.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:49PM

Phantom

I have tried the Black Botija olives from www.upayanaturals.com and they are very good, so rich I chop up only 2 or 3 at most and sprinkle them on my zucchini pasta. They last a while in the fridge too.

Posted by: ahlam ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:58PM

This is uncanny! Phantom, I have been craving olives, too. I figured the ones from the stores (even our co-op) must be processed. I've eaten a ton of them in the past week (won't buy any more until I get some raw from online), but I got the WORST tummy ache after AND 1/2 the next day :-( The terrible thing is, I was craving them so badly that I ate them ALL UP anyway! I know you just started 100% raw, too (I have been for a little over 2 mos. now)...is this normal for newbies? Does it have something to do with the detox of switching to raw?
Anyway, I'm absolutely going to order some raw olives today!!!
mmmmm
Yes, I want to snort and cuddle them too :-p

~Amelia
"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what
you're going to do now and do it."
– William C. Durant

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:10AM

I was at Whole Paycheck, I mean, Whole Foods today and I asked an employee if they have raw olives. He looked alarmed that I would ask such a question so we both went to another employee and she looked equally as alarmed. The three of us then went to a third employee and he said, "No, I'm sorry. You'll have to order them online. Try...." I looked at the other two and said jokingly, "I'm not so crazy now, am I?!" LOL

Date: March 14, 2008 03:38AM

I learned the hard way it's very important NOT to snort the ones that have been pitted and stuffed. :O

But I heard about this amazing raw olive detox that can remove pieces of pimento that were accidentally lodged in your brain...

Thanks everyone, this thread is cracking me up, too! The bad thing is just waiting for the mail to arrive... Olive zucchini pasta will haunt my dreams tonight. <3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables