Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Carob Not Cacao, more info about how toxic Cacao is!
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:45PM

Carob NOT Cacao!

Many people today are becoming addicted to chocolate because they are led to believe that it is good for them. Chocolate is a drug and harmful to the body. Although in small amounts, the body will adapt and be able to ingest a drug without immediate effects, but damage can still occur. I feel a need to let everyone know about the harmful effects of this popular drug. At one point, I was very excited about the raw version of chocolate. I ate it and enjoyed it, but noticed my health suffered every time I ate it. Finally, I gave it up. I wasn’t going to mention it to others because I wasn’t sure if it was just me or if it was the chocolate. As I lectured across the country and began to notice the growing popularity of chocolate amongst raw food eaters and health advocates, I started to hear many people complain to me about the same harmful effects I experienced. For a certain time, every talk I gave there was someone with a complaint. People were also emailing me asking why they were having these issues. That’s when I started to do some research and wrote two articles about the harmful effects of Cacoa. (You can see the article’s on my site www.rawlife.com under articles)

Of course exposing the harmful side to this addicting food didn’t make me a well-liked person amongst many of the people who have become so addicted to it. When a person is addicted to something, the last thing they want to hear is that it is not good for them.

Habit VS Addiction
A habit and an addiction are not the same thing. A habit is something you do on a regular basis, but you could stop if you found out it’s not good for you. An addiction is something you are compelled to do on a regular basis, something you must do, even when you know it is not good for you.

When it comes to eating harmful foods, we need to change those addictions to habits, and then break them.

One suggestion to help transition people off of chocolate is to use carob. But many people don't think carob tastes as good as chocolate. If you ate a carob pod right off of the tree, you might even like it more than eating a cacao bean right off the tree. However, mixing a bunch of sweet foods with the cacao bean creates an appetizing addiction. Mixing sweet foods with carob can taste just as good, without the side-effects. For anyone that doesn’t think that carob tastes as good as chocolate, try this great recipe using carob that tastes wonderful.

Carob Pudding

6 Medium Avocados
1 1/2 cups raw Agave
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups raw carob powder
1 cup cold filtered water

Blend in a food processor till smooth, top with, strawberries and/or bananas, mint leaves And a sprinkle of cinnamon.

A friend of mine was one of the first people to start making raw food chocolate bars that tasted out of this world. They were so good. But she received many complaints about the harmful effects of cocao it has on each person, so she then added a selection of the same candies made with carob instead of the chocolate.The carob version tasted just as good or even better. I am convinced that if she didn’t label the new version made with carob, most people would not have known the difference. Today, carob can be purchased in most health food stores in a raw or cooked form. Eating a roasted version of carob is not as harmful as eating cacao, cooked or raw.

After posting the article I wrote about the harmful effects of cacao, many people responded with their experiences. They say that they feel no harmful effects and it cannot be bad for us if others are promoting it as a "super-food." I am sure many people who promote and sell raw chocolate do not know or understand the harmful side effects, and if they did, they wouldn’t sell it. From my experience, most people selling it are good-hearted people who only want the best for people, and they are deceived to thinking it’s a super health-food. But please beware, because there are some who promote it and do know it is very addictive and not the ideal food to promote. They are making a good living off promoting this food and nothing seems to be able to convince them to stop selling it despite more and more people having issues with it. Below is a great example of the many emails I receive each day.

From CP in California:
Hey,

I ate a bunch of cacao last night because I kept hearing such great things about it from other raw foodists. I felt like I was on some serious drugs last night, and did not feel well at all!! I woke up at 6am with an awful headache and threw up. Now I feel so sick!! I know I don’t feel this way when I eat a bunch of fruit or veggies...even nuts!! I really hope I am ok. I totally agree with your article based off a not-so-good personal experience!!

I get many emails like this. People ask me why I am so against cacao. I am not interested in being the most popular raw food health promoter. I will not tell people a lie to gain popularity nor will I withhold the truth. I want to promote what is known to be healthy and not get people addicted to drugs.

It is not new information I am finding out about how harmful cacao is. Recently, I found a raw recipe book from the 1950’s. The author talks about the negative effects of cacao. Here is the article from the book “Live Foods; Nature’s Perfect System of Human Nutrition" by George & Doris Fathman

Page 36 and 37.
Many people seem to have an incurable “sweet tooth.” If you are one of those and you want to satisfy it, but without the harm that comes from using white sugar, which is the base of so much sweetening, then we recommend you substitute carob. It has a delicious chocolate taste and children as well as grown-ups love it.

Carob is made from grinding the pulp in the pods of the carob tree which grows in the Holy Land and in the Mediterranean regions. The pods are fed to animals. They are mentioned in the Bible, where “he would fain have filled his belly with the husks they swine did eat.” It formed the food which John the Baptist ate in the wilderness, hence sometimes called “St. John’s Bread.”

Carob has a fair amount of vitamins and minerals, but its chief virtue is as a chocolate substitute. Chocolate and cocoa, while rich in calcium, also contain considerable amounts of caffeine, theobromine and oxalic acid, stimulants the body can do without. The oxalic acid not only renders the calcium unavailable to the body, but also robs the body of its stored calcium. Many doctors feel chocolate is responsible in large measure for the adolescent problem of acne and forbid it to their patients. Like Sesame (or Tahini), Carob has a delicious flavor without the harmful qualities of chocolate. We highly recommend it as a substitute that all your family will enjoy. Carob can be purchased in health food or specialty food stores.

This article was from a book written in the 1950’s and I am sure the more research I do, the more I can find. Once people are addicted to something, sometimes the only thing that will take them away from it is learning the hard way. Read my article on www.rawlife.com and see what Jeremy Saffron says, the first person to promote and introduce raw cacao to the raw food world years ago. Today Jeremy is so against it and wants to warn others. Hippocrates Health Institute had a big article in their magazine about how bad it is, and recently I heard an interview with one of the world's leading promoters speaking about cacao. The people interviewing him were not big fans of raw chocolate and instead of the average interview by people who were big fans of it, this time the truth started to come out. The questions were excellent and the person's answers were revealing that raw chocolate is not an ideal food for everyone, even admitting himself that is was a drug and in some situations needed to be eaten with caution.

Please don’t worry, but please do something. The body is amazing and can handle much abuse. If you enjoy chocolate cooked or raw, you won’t get sick every time you consume it. There are much worse things you can consume. I am not suggesting that everyone needs to give it up and never consume it again. You can eat chocolate on occasion and be fine. I am not writing this article to make you think it is an all or none deal. I just want you to be aware that is not the "super-food" that it’s promoted to be and to be careful with it. Like coffee, the first time someone drinks it, they may not even like the taste. But there is a drug in it that makes us want more and more. A un-educated person about health would think this is the body saying we need it because the body is craving it. Well, there are many street drugs that people crave, it doesn’t mean their body needs it. If you consume chocolate, you can enjoy it sometimes and be fine, but if you have gotten in the habit where you feel you need it everyday, being convinced emotionally, physically and mentally that it is the best food for your life and you can’t go a day without it, try to give it up for a week, and see if you experience withdrawal symptoms. That will reveal that there is an issue. These are the people this article is written for.

I have many friends that safely use and promote raw chocolate using and knowing it comes with a warning to be cautious of possible overdosing effects. I speak at stores that promote chocolate and have friends who sell it. I do not want to harm or lessen their business. I will not come to your business and speak hours about the harmful effects. In fact, unless someone asks, I usually don’t even bring it up.

So, for those of you out there who like my message, but you are worried about me coming to speak at your place of business because I do not agree with your views about cacao or some other items you may promote. Understand I respect every person who welcomes me to come and speak, and unless we agree on doing a lecture on the topic, I will not come in your place of business and disrespect you and what you sell. I say this because sometimes I get a call from someone saying "we would like you to speak here, but because you say this or that, it may not be the best place for you." This is nonsense. No people agree 100%.

Recently, I spoke at a potluck of one of the biggest promoters of raw chocolate. While setting up the event he told me his concerns, but was very open to having me speak because he liked my message. In all fairness to him, he asked me if the topic came up, to just tell everyone what I knew about chocolate if I wanted to, but to let people know the truth that I have personally never tried the raw chocolate he promotes. (there are different companies that promote cacao, each one claiming they know there are issues with the raw chocolate that other companies promote, but theirs is the best and safe) I was willing and fine to let people know that, but just like most of my lectures, the topic never came up. I am invited to speak at many places to promote chocolate, and after my lecture I am invited back many times. My mission is to teach everyone about health, have an open mind and get a long with everyone.

Bottom line is to educate yourself about any food you put in your body. Don’t believe someone because they call it a super food. As for chocolate, if you enjoy it, I suggest try making a few recipes with carob. If for some reason you do not like the taste as much, then go and enjoy your chocolate, but only once in a while. Not everyday. It is a natural food that grows in nature and is not going to kill someone if they enjoy a small amount once a week or so. But PLEASE don’t be misled to believe it is the best food ever. Because it is not, a better title would be the most addicting food ever.

God Bless you all

If you have had bad reactions to cacao and would like to warn people, please email me your experience and I will share it with everyone. Thank you. email paul@Rawlife.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carob Not Cacao, more info about how toxic Cacao is!
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:59PM

Funny, I find myself "addicted" to carob much more. But maybe it's because I am lazy and carob is naturally sweet smiling smiley No drug-like effects from carob, at any rate. But the taste of chocolate is far different, IMO.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 07, 2008 02:52AM

Forgive my ignorance. What's the difference between cacao and carob? I've had both. Why is cacao dried and carob soft? I've never understood this. The cacao I've tried tasted dirty.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 07, 2008 03:05AM

Cacao is the bitter seed that comprises the main ingredient of chocolate. It is a seed inside of a fruit. Carob is a legume that grows in a tree, and is sweet. Carob does not have the psychoactive elements that are found in cacao.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 04:23AM

I believe the reason so many people are addicted to chocolate is not because of its psychoactive properties, per se, but more because of its extremely high magnesium content. Given that most people are deficient in magesium, the popularity of chocolate is understandable. This is also why women crave chocolate before periods - magnesium levels drop in those few days. And why chocolate makes you feel better - because a magnesium deficiency will make you depressed & irritable.

If you eat enough other magnesium foods, your chocolate cravings will disappear. People try too hard to not eat chocolate, in my opinion, and blame lack of willpower for not being able to resist it. The body is simply crying out for magnesium. Carob can never replace chocolate because it just doesn't contain the same amount of magnesium. Wheatgrass juice, on the other hand, WILL make you stop craving chocolate, because it is high in magnesium.

Paul, I totally agree with you on the toxic effects of raw cacao. I've tried the stuff and it didn't agree with me at all, I got a bad drug comedown from it and not enough of a high to make it worthwhile.

And given that raw cacao has to be eaten in such smaller quantities than cooked chocolate, then it can't really address cooked chocolate's most important mineral contribution, i.e. magnesium. So it's just plain toxic.

Date: March 07, 2008 04:28AM

When people say "chocolate" are they talking about raw cacao or a Snickers Bar?

I can't imagine raw cacao being addictive without the sweetness. It's so bitter and dusty tasting. I don't enjoy it at all. I also felt nothing by way of highs, lows, mood swings, joy or sorrow. I ate about two ounces of it! My mouth just felt like I ate dirt all I wanted was water.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 07, 2008 06:36AM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't imagine raw cacao being addictive without
> the sweetness. It's so bitter and dusty tasting.
> I don't enjoy it at all.

right. raw cacao is kind of like baker's chocolate. you need to add a sweetener for it to taste good.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: March 07, 2008 12:28PM

I got heart palpatations and couldn't sleep the night I made a chocolate amond milk. The rest of the bag sits unused. Maybe I'll compost it when the warm weather hits.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 07, 2008 01:57PM

Simple Living Wrote:
> When people say "chocolate" are they talking about
> raw cacao or a Snickers Bar?

NO! A Snickers bar might have "chocolate" in it (albeit very processed), but it is not pure chocolate, such as cacao. smiling smiley

I personally have no problems with cacao, nor do I have problems getting magnesium without it. Just my experiences.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: March 07, 2008 02:14PM

I haven't heard carob mentioned on the boards yet. (Except in this thread.) Does anyone here eat that? I've seen people go ga-ga for cacao and I thought I was missing something so I tried it. It's not for me.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 02:24PM

I love carob, becasue it is naturally sweet. I eat it mixed with almond or hemp butter, or in smoothies with bananas. Some people mix it with avocado or coconut jelly for a pudding. It's not a fresh raw food, but a nice way to vary the diet.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 07, 2008 02:27PM

Simple Living Wrote:
> My mouth just felt
> like I ate dirt all I wanted was water.

When using cacao with avocado or making smoothies, I think it's not so bad (esp. if agave is added and there's lots of liquid). But I've found the store-bought raw chocolate bars/energy bars definitely have that dehydrating dirt taste!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 07, 2008 03:05PM

Every once in a blue moon, I'll get the urge for raw cacao--I think it has to do with the magnesium or zinc content. I'll blend 2 bananas with 2 cups of coconut water, and sprinkle in a tbsp of raw cacao nibs. The sweetness of the blend is the perfect compliment, and it's MMMMM dessert soup! It hits the spot, for whatever minerals I suppose I'm wanting--I don't want any more, I don't get wired, and I don't have any headaches or withdrawl.

I have had experiences where I've eaten too much and felt like the Tasmanian devil. It also doesn't taste good if I'm not wanting it--I think I've found the happy medium, for me, for where I am now. Who knows what I'll be eating a year from now!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:16PM

i bought a ton of raw carob before (online) and disliked it immensely. i gave it away.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 01:47PM

Paul,

I agree about cacoa completely. It is a drug. But how about agave? That is not really raw and very often corn syrup is used in the mixture. What do you think of agave?

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 01:47PM by minou33.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:58PM

Sunshine, are you saying roasted cacao has more available magnesium than the raw kind? Is it like tomatoes and lycopene or something?
Does roasting the cacao make it easier to digest maybe, like certain veggies?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables