Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Potentially a stupid wheatgrass question...
Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 04:14PM

I have never used wheatgrass before and am completely naive as to what to look for and how to go about using it. I have seen liquid and I have seen tablets. I would like to try and utilize this powerfood, however, I am curious as to what I should be looking for and in what form to make it most beneficial to me. Thanks for any advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Potentially a stupid wheatgrass question...
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 04:54PM

Fresh juiced would be best.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:04PM

nothing but fresh made juice

elnatural

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:07PM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh juiced would be best.

I agree with rost. I'v had it frozen,
in tablets, and also in powder form. There's nothing
like fresh squeezed. It packs a punch, so be careful.
Have 1 ounce, to start, at the nearest Juice Bar....WY

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:12PM

Not a stupid question at all - many people aren't familiar with wheatgrass. Fresh juiced is best, but you will either need a wheatgrass juicer, vitamix, or a juicer that can handle wheatgrass (I don't think a centrifugal juicer can handle it). If you have one of the above, here's what I do:

I went to the health food store and purchased some organic wheat berries - told them I wanted to grow some wheatgrass, so they made sure I bought the right stuff. Then I soaked them overnight and planted them in a shallow tray the next morning and put them in the window. In a few days, voila, wheatgrass, ready for juicing - you won't believe how fast it grows!

If you have no way to juice it at home, I would skip any pills or potions already made up, and see if I could find a local juice bar that can make it up fresh for you.

Good luck!!

Sapphire

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 07, 2008 06:47PM

I concur - a centrifugal juicer does not juice wheatgrass. I tried! smiling smiley

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 06:08PM

Thanks for the advice! I am so glad that I didn't waste my money smiling smiley

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:34PM

If you don't have a juice3r specifically for wheatgrass you can chew it but spit out the pulp. A hand crank juicer is fairly inexpensive. The wheat grass is a very important nutrient packed food source with some powerfull phytonutrients. The phytonutrients ane not available in the pill and powder forms of wheat grass.

Posted by: activeinternet ()
Date: March 09, 2008 12:57AM

I would recommend that you grow it, since it is easy and only take a few days. If you are in the US and near Whole Foods, they sell it freah for about $16/lb in Florida, while you can grow for less than $2.00/lb.

The powder is basically made from the extract that you throw away if you were juicing it. It would have only a fraction of the nutrients of fresh juiced wheatgrass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables