Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New and Some questions
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:40PM

Hi folks! I just finished my 3rd 10 day master cleanse and am starting eating today! I have been researching raw foods lately, but this seemed like a good active forum, so I wanted to join and introduce myself.

I don't know how much I can commit to going raw, costs and laziness being issues, but I'm sure as heck going to try. I see there have been some discussions of cost here.

First question:

Fruits and nuts!

I have been collecting raw recipes from across the internet and I noticed that I tend to gravitate towards fruits and nuts over vegetables. I was looking at my "raw recipes" file - it's filled with desserts!

Am I right in thinking I am not alone here? It seems that in transitioning to raw I want to fill up the hole of yumminess left by my previouis eating habits. Do people notice this behavior in themselves? Is it a problem? Is it a phase?

Also anything about mitigating cost would help. I think it's unrealistic for me to go all raw and I haven't even commited to giving up meat yet - not totally. I'm looking for a good ratio. I'm thinking maybe 50% raw, 20% cooked veggies (saving money here buying frozen), and the rest things like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and minimially "other." I'm still trying to find my "golden ratio" that works between cost and good health and allows for occasional cheating without going overboard.

I guess that's enough for now. Thanks for reading and even more for responding!

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New and Some questions
Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:59PM

Hi Dave!

Welcome...I am newer to the site too and it has been so informative and inspirational so far. I am sure you are going to love it! As for your question...I absolutely agree with you. Now, I do love vegetables, but, because some produce can get expensive (and confusing as to what to do with them) I had tended to gravitate to the "staples." My best advice to you is to make a smaller version of a recipe (vegetable based, I mean) and go from there. Not only can you open your "raw world," but you also are more likely to consume everything you make before it goes bad! I have found some unbelievable recipes of items that I thought would only burn my tongue off if I put them in my mouth..LOL. I have, too, found myself gravitating towards the fruit and desert recipes. I love sweets and they are what help to make my transition more successful for myself. I, too, am not 100% raw, rather leaning more towards 75%-80% on most days. This works for me right now and it works for my lifestyle. I have found through experimentation and reading that this lifestyle is about how to make it work the best for you. So...from learned experience...base your "diet" (I really hate that word..haha) around the raw that makes consuming raw food work for you, however, try to keep some balance by making it diverse. Who knows, you may find you have quite a taste for something that you never thought would tickle your tastebuds smiling smiley I too, at this point, fill in the gaps with some cooked products.

Good luck in this wonderful life-changing journey! I wish you the best in your health smiling smiley

Date: March 08, 2008 07:37PM

Thank you sapphire! It's always remarkable how similar people's journeys are sometimes.

I have about 20 pages of recipes I collected from the raw food site (master cleanse board). Most of them are fruity but not all. The way I'm thinking now is "whatever works." So if I go overboard on fruit for now I won't get upset about it. I'll just try to keep the balance in mind as I get my bearings in this new world.

-DaveK

Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 12:03PM

You are very welcome smiling smiley By the way...since you like fruit...check out the "yummy strawberry shortcake" in the recipe forum! Amazingly delicious!!!!

Date: March 10, 2008 02:51PM

Thanks Sapphire. I did take a look at those recipes in there. It's amazing what people have come up with. I'll have to add that one to my little file here.

Yesterday's breakfast was:

banana
a stalk of ceery
6 dates
some nuts (I had soaked)

all chopped up. It was good but too much celery. I had the same thing today with half a stalk and it was better.

For dinner I tried to make this cucumber avacado soup thing, (Just avacado and cucumber blended in food processor) but I don't think the avacado was very ripe. I'm new at the avacado thing. It was refreshing to eat but not very tasty. I threw some nuts in there which made it edible. The recipe calls for optional mint, but I didn't have any. Maybe it shouldn't really be optional.

-DaveK

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 04:04PM

Hi Dave!

Welcome to raw foods!

Just a couple words -

I recently discovered Costco for a source of bulk produce that is very decent quality.

And as for that "hole" that is left - a simple sweets recipie. Either take a Vita Mix blender (if you have one) or a food processor and powder some walnuts using the S-blade. Then pit some organic, unhydrated dates (unhydrated ones will look wrinkly and like raisins, hydrated, or steemed ones are glossy and plump). Smash this all together - best to use your hands - it's easiest. EAT! Can also roll in dry shredded coconut. It's like carmel - sssoooo good.

In my experience frozen, as opposed to fresh, will still bring you tremendous health benefits over SAD.

I totally had more success with raw when I got my Vitamix, and you might be able to find a cheap one on www.craigslist.com - it just makes getting things down a lot easier when you are busy.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: March 10, 2008 04:52PM

Thanks! I'll have to try that little snack. I have been having hard time finding dates. (um... the edible kind...um..the edible fruit kind) The only ones I could find were packaged and I'm suspicious about how much they were processed. The package says that they were "sun dried and moistened." What the hell does that mean? Oh well.

Dates do seem to be popping up in a lot of those yum-yum raw recipes I see as a kind of sweetener.

-DaveK

Date: March 10, 2008 05:36PM

ANGIE!!

I just did your recipe! It worked with the dates I have, BUT instead of making them into caramel like things (which was great) I put them on celery!

And the nuts I had were walnuts with some hazelnuts mixed in, all soaked. MMMM

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 10, 2008 10:36PM

It's so hard working out for yourself where to find a balance esp in terms of cravings and cost. In my experience, it's a constant journey so starting at what you've described and going from there sounds great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables