Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Opening a coconut
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 08, 2008 08:10PM

How do you do this, 1) without making a mess, 2) without losing the water, and 3) how do you separate the meat from the shell?

I see conversations here about coconut water and wonder how many coconuts people are buying to get a good amount of it? Or, have I misunderstood and people are buying their coconut water and milk separately instead of getting the water directly from the coconut or making their own milk?

How nutritious is the water? How much raw coconut is safe to eat without raising cholesterol or getting too fat!? I don't like dried coconut at all, but when I was living in Italy, I found a street vendor with a beautiful display of fresh, white coconut chunks so I tried it. I found I love fresh coconut and with all the talk of coconut oil and water on the forums, I'm craving some!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opening a coconut
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 08, 2008 08:37PM

To open a young coco, check out How to Use Young Coconuts for your Vibrant Health!.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:35PM

Just as Bryan indicated. And for a brown one, just hold it in your hand and crack along the perimeter with the claw end of a hammer. Just keep going around at a downward angle until the crack forms. Then hold over a bowl to catch the water. Then just finish cracking the pieces into about 6 or 8 pieces. Then work the blunt end of a butter knife under each side of each piece......and twist....and the hard meat will pop out.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:54PM

I like to blend young coconut juice & pulp together. Here's a video of someone opening a young coconut:

[youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 10:55PM by EZ rider.

Date: March 09, 2008 03:19AM

That video was extremely helpful, EZ rider! This is how I will attempt to do it. This video led me to another one of someone with an amazing skill at opening coconuts! Watch this guy! [youtube.com]

When you blend the meat and the water together, do you eat/drink it all at once or do you store it in the refrigerator?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 03:23AM by Simple Living.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:41AM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you blend the meat and the water together, do
> you eat/drink it all at once or do you store it in
> the refrigerator?

I drink it all at once. I have found the young coconut juice & pulp blended together to be a little under a quart on average.

Date: March 09, 2008 03:55AM

Thanks EZ rider. I checked out the website of the young woman in the video you recommended and I'm having a lot of fun with it! VERY interesting to see what chocolate looks like before it's "chocolate."

Something I noticed about the raw food life - it's fun and adventurous! Just like many of the people who live it!

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:57AM

Here is a link to the post where I show how I do it. I think it is the most efficient and least dangerous way.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables