Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Aloe Vera
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:57PM

Does anyone take Aloe Vera? It's supposed to be a "superfood" with great intestinal and colon cleansing abilities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aloe Vera
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:04PM

i don't take it, but it grows like a weed in my back yard and i like to clean my gums with it. sometimes i peel off a few leaves and throw them in my smoothies.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:27PM

It is bitter (at least fresh, I've never consumed the bottled kind internally) and a laxative. Medicinal, to be sure. So my opinion is that it should not be used on a regular basis, but more sparingly. The bitterness/medicinal factor (that it forces a bowel movement) would indicate to me that there are some toxins in it. Once in awhile it can be very helpful. On the skin it is great and very soothing.

Date: March 09, 2008 03:07AM

Any other thoughts on aloe vera being used internally?

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 09, 2008 01:15PM

I used to add it to my smoothies. I never really noticed anything different, couldn't taste it, but didn't "see" any remarkable results. I too am interested in responses to this question. Did you find any info online about it Simple Living?
Veggie

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 09, 2008 11:12PM

I eat aloe vera leaves, maybe one large leaf a week when I can get them (although I have started growing my own so should be self sufficient soon). I just use the flesh from inside, which isn't as bitter as the green skin. I put the in smoothies with hemp milk and bananas (and lots of other stuff).

I've not noticed a specific results, but I eat it as a long term thing - the leaves are high in rhodium and iridium which according to research I am particularly interested in ( [www.kaleidos.org.uk] ) might be very important for brain function.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 09, 2008 11:44PM

Rob is right... the bitter part is the dark green skin and the "goo" (that can range from orange yellow to red). If you peel it properly and rinse it off it shouldn't be bitter at all. I have eaten aloe my whole life.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: March 10, 2008 01:09AM

Here are some of the supposed benefits of aloe. Has anyone experienced any of them?

Juice is also taken from the aloe vera leaves. The bitter juice is often prepared as a flavored drink and is used to help with digestive problems.
Aloe vera contains numerous vitamins and minerals, enzymes, amino acids, natural sugars and agents which may be anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. The combination and balance of the plant's ingredients are what purportedly gives it its healing properties.

The possible benefits from the use of aloe vera gel and juice include:

1. May help sooth skin injured by burns, irritations, cuts and insect bites.

2. May help moisturize and soften the skin.

3. May help speed the healing of skin wounds, burns and other injuries.

4. May help (when taken internally)with constipation, diarrhea and other intestinal problems.

5. May speed and improve general healing when taken internally.

6. May relieve itching and swelling of irritated skin.

7. May help kill fungus and bacteria.

8. May improve the effectiveness of sun screen products.

Although not conclusive, studies have been done which indicate aloe vera may have some value in the treatment or prevention of some cancers and arthritis. Other trials have been conducted and preliminary evidence shows aloe vera may be useful in treating diabetes, immune system problems and psoriasis.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:14AM

the skin soothing / healing thing is well documented, and really noticeably true. i always squeeze fresh aloe on any type of burn or cut, it works amazingly well. i hadn't heard about the sunscreen boosting effect... but it definitely is one of the best things to apply to a sunburn... (THE best thing to apply to a sunburn is kukui oil... that stuff is amazing for sunburn).

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:45AM

I have only eaten the goo of aloe, and have always found it to be quite bitter. Maybe because it wasn't organic? It's just been from various Hispanic markets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables