Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Exercise is just as important as diet!
Posted by: No5 ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:50AM

Use it or lose it!

What are you scrolling down for? You should be outside jogging already! grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exercise is just as important as diet!
Posted by: sagebush ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:55AM

ya I thought here was something wrong with my screen...

its to muddy to go jogging, not to mention dark, cold...

got a more practical suggestion city slicker?

Date: March 09, 2008 04:01AM

lol

Sagebrush you could do jumping jacks or pushups every time there is a commercial break on TV! Sometimes I do that smiling smiley

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: March 09, 2008 04:25AM

I am so aghast that you would picture me watching TV...
there is only one station out here, and it likes to play hockey on saturday nights
I only watch the tv to check how much dust it has collected...
when I get tired of books I look at the stars, or the fire, whichever is brightest...
i just got the internet hooked up two days ago...cause a friend sold me a laptop...
its dial up...no high speed service available...
i am exercising my fingers pretty good right now...how about that?

Date: March 09, 2008 04:43AM

Whatever floats your boat smiling smiley

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 09, 2008 01:28PM

I concur - exercise is phenonomenal. I love to run and do yoga.

Date: March 09, 2008 04:56PM

you call running exercise? around here I call it putting distance between me and a bear...
yoga, yes that is good in the morning, before the light comes...it feels more private in the dark, plus when the sunlight comes I like to be outside...
its funny to hear of folks who actually have to put time aside to exercise...thats a whole other world to me...I get so much exercise just doing what it takes to survive that my body is lean and strong and looks good. I always think people who lift weights should lift rocks and build a wall. Then then will have muscles plus something worthwhile to show for it. The wall could hold soil to grow plants in.
I read this biography of a fellow who promoted all this wonderful exercise, this whole routine, and he was 80 and looked great, but I thought, well, all that time exercising alone, spending time on his body, just so he can die a good looking corpse? what about doing something with his energy to help things out in the world, how about spending time with other people...I'd rather be out of shape and have lots of friends than fit and lonely.
also, isn't it just the corporate mentality to be a consumer of products to help us stay fit, like all that gym equipment, when we could be out in the world doing physical stuff to help out with things...and connected to poeple in the process...
like those bycycles in the gym that people pedal, and get no where...
i SAY, go out into the world, lend your body to a garden project, and housing project, do something physical and have it be a service to someone else. your lover will appreciate your fit body far more if that is what you do, rather than work out in a gym. In my opinion anyways...

Date: March 09, 2008 05:02PM

I don't think everyone does things for their body because they perceive some lover might like it; I make my body how *I* want it.

And I enjoy running outdoors; it's something to do just as planting a garden is. What do I have to show for it? I went outside, got fresh air, I look and feel great. Does it honestly bother you that people exercise?

Wow.....of all things to be upset about! smiling smiley

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 09, 2008 05:26PM

Most people, living in the city and not being construction or landscape workers, aren't going to get exercise unless they make space for it. I don't have a car so I always bike or walk, and my body still doesn't feel sufficiently used (like it let energy out) unless I exercise and lift weights apart from that. That's great if your lifestyle lets you exercise without trying, but that's not the case for most people.

Exercise feels SO good--I don't think you can be out-of-shape and physically feel as good as someone who is in shape, it's just not a healthy state for the body to be in and that affects the mind. Even just walking a little every day is a BIG difference from being completely sedentary.

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: March 09, 2008 06:06PM

I personally feel great about the six or so hours a week I squeeze in at the gym exercising. It's crucial for my health. Looking good is just an added bonus. It's been a cold and gray winter here in the pacific nw, not very inviting for regular outdoor activity. Ideally I'd love to get all my exercise gardening, hiking, biking or building a rock wall...but it's not realistic for me at this time. I'm a single mom supporting my kids on my own, and although my desk job isn't ideal, it's
keeping us afloat at this time and I'm thankful for it.

I support everyone getting the exercise they need by any means that works for them in their lives.

Peace

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: March 09, 2008 06:25PM

A rebounder is a good option if you can't exercise outside. When I don't have a rebounder I'll just jog in place and do sit-ups and push-ups. No excuses right?

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 09, 2008 06:45PM

80% diet
20% exercise

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 09, 2008 07:02PM

I have heard that 80/20% thing many times, too. I don't know about the exact numbers but there seems to be some truth to it--you can't burn off toxins just from exercising, and you can make a lot of headway with just diet, but you need some exercise.

Date: March 09, 2008 10:44PM

the older i get the more the 80/20 rule applies.

just my 2 sense.

Date: March 10, 2008 12:48AM

It all depends on so many variables such as the intensity you put in on any given execise, emotional/spiritual state and with the diet...what you don't eat is more important than what you do!

my opinion.

Richard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 12:50AM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: March 10, 2008 03:51AM

I wasn't upset, just making a suggestion.
it seems silly to me since I dont live in a city.
but I think you totally missed the point.
obviously i don't fit in around here...
gosh, have fun, whatever you do!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 10, 2008 12:45PM

I agree with Richard, it seems lately that researchers are learning that what we omit is more important than what we consume.

We have to exercise, too.

They are both necessary but insufficient conditions for health.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 10, 2008 12:54PM

I agree with Richard - and the other great posts. Health is certainly a lifestyle 'spectrum'. If anything, I think that the fuel you choose (or choose to eschew) is certainly an important aspect of consciousness.....as is the energy that we choose to spend (exercise and attention)...you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 10, 2008 04:32PM

Yeah...you gotta see things wholistically...you can't just change your food and expect things to go on happily ever after or add fitness and expect ever lasting health, there's many more things to be mindful of such as how you deal with your emotions/adversity, pollution in the air/water supply, etc!....you have people on cooked food living to a ripe od age and then you get long time raw vegans that are still getting cancer and part of the reason for that is because of how the individual is handling their emotions/thinking/consciousness...so this 80-20 thing doesn't make sense to me personally simply because there's more to the equasion than just exercise and diet!

Again just my thoughts on the matter....

Richard

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 10, 2008 04:41PM

I was also thinking the 80/20 idea was missing the third part, which is the mindset. Or whatever one chooses to actually call it.

Date: March 10, 2008 04:52PM

the title of the post is

Exercise is just as important as diet!
-------- ----
that's what i commented on by mentioning the 80/20.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 10, 2008 05:00PM

True, but I think others then expanded on that idea perhaps??

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 10, 2008 05:07PM

After I switched to raw foods I found that I actually get upset and antsy if I don't work out. It's become a new requirement in my life. And in order to not feel like I'm wasting all my time at the gym I try to ride my bike and walk to the store for all my errands, I garden, I mow the lawn, I clean the heck out of my house. I reorganize my closet and tool shed. This is all great exercise that gets your life on track too.
But yeah, with raw if I don't get at least an hour or two of physical activity a day I feel very grumpy. On the days that I don't eat raw(I totally fell off the wagon this weekend) I don't even want to get off the couch, it's such an amazing difference. I guess I just assume other people feel this way...does everyone not have this experience?

Date: March 10, 2008 06:54PM

I get antsy, too, without exercise. I have a lot of energy! My legs get restless, too, if I don't move them enough. So I hear ya!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables