Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is 3-4 table spoons of coconut oil necessary to have all the benifits from it?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 10, 2008 12:25AM

i was just wondering if 1 tablespoon would be enough... Ive always read 3.5 table spoons per day, but i think its alot of fat...even for a raw vegan diet

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is 3-4 table spoons of coconut oil necessary to have all the benifits from it?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:18AM

That seems to be alot of coconut oil. I just use it whenever I need to prepare something with oil (or I use cold press olive oil).

I don't go by what a guru tells me. I judge by what my body tells me. Good luck. Therese

Re: Is 3-4 table spoons of coconut oil necessary to have all the benifits from it?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:55AM

It makes money for the people who are trying to sell it to you.

You actually don't need ANY. There is no identified requirement for saturated fat in the diet. But a tsp or two per day will not do much harm.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:20AM

The US government is recommending no more than 10% of your calories coming from saturated fats. 3.5 tablespoons of coconut oil has 378 calories worth of saturated fat, or 19% of the caloric intake of a person eating 2000 calories a day. This is double the maximum recommended intake.

No one needs any calories from coconut oil as arugula stated. There is zero need for dietary saturated fats. As far as other nutrients in coconut oil (vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytonutrients, water) there are virtually none.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2008 04:38AM

IMHO...I think it's just a scam. If you want the flavor just eat the coconut...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:46PM

You're best off eating the entire coconut, for the whole nutrition + fiber.

Places generally charge waaaay too much for coconut oil, in my opinion. But it makes a fabulous moisturizer!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 11, 2008 02:18PM

what benefits? lol

Just about as much as olive oil!!

Date: March 11, 2008 03:25PM

Actually, it's a lot worse than olive oil. Virgin raw coconut oil raises the bad cholesterol (LDL) much more than olive oil and somewhat less than cooked processed coconut oil.

They call it a "health" food because it's not as bad as cooked. But it still looks like one of the worst food choices one can make.

Date: March 11, 2008 04:50PM

Well, these are supposed to be the benefits when adding coconut oil to the diet, but they ALWAYS say that 3.5 tablespoons daily are necessary to achieve that... Wich i think is alot...thats why im asking if it is possible to get all the benefits, with perhaps a bit less per day

- weight loss
- getting rid of yeast/candida
- clearing up the skin
- adjusting cholesterol levels (to normal)
- improving digestive health
- antiviral (attacks lipid coated viruses, like HIV, herpes...!)
- boosts metabolism, giving an immediate source of energy to the body
- increasing overall energy
- full of medium chain fatty acids, the highest source, besides mothers natural milk

so thats the essential... I now that there is not "miracle food", but it seems very appreciated by alot of people... But i don't want to believe everything i read on there, so im trying it, and ill see by myself...

I've been taking somefor about a month now, next time i see my doctor, i will ask her for a blood test, to see how my cholesterol levels are...

Am i the only one taking some?

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 11, 2008 05:00PM

We hardly eat it but since all the talk on this site about we started using it on our skin and there is nothing better. It is The BEST thing for my daughter's acne and my dry skin.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 11, 2008 05:08PM

Please tell us if it helps with weight loss--I would be very surprised but am open to whatever people's experiences are.

Posted by: trumper ()
Date: March 11, 2008 05:13PM

Until World War II coconut oil was the number one cooking oil in US. Upon cutting off from the sources of supply by the Japanese native vegetable oils were introduced. A considerable part of these unsaturated oils were hydrogenated to make it head stable and usable for spreads and processed food. After World War II the vegetable oil lobby was strong enough to defend the marked against coconut oil. The most effective weapon was the myth of the unhealthy saturated fats. Over the years this myth was maintained by supporting “research findings” and friendly interpretations of real research findings in mass media.

In a recent press release from the University of Muenster, Germany
[idw-online.de]
the health beneficial value of olive oil was questioned. The researchers assume that especially the mono unsaturated fats enhance arteriosclerosis and saturated fats compensate at least partly for this effect. There is a lot of similar evidence in the reliable scientific literature

My personal road map concerning nutritional fat is to balance the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio close to 2:1 by avoiding all omega 6 vegetable oils. My body and especially my brain need saturated fat. For that reason I substitute a variable portion of carbohydrates by virgin coconut oil. For cooking also ghee would be ok.

Date: March 11, 2008 05:33PM

trumper

did you notice some effects?

Date: March 11, 2008 05:48PM

Well, it it might, but the amount will be so slight that you will not notice, it's only going to be for the first few weeks, and if you don't cut back calories somewhere else you will not lose anything. There was a study on obese and overweight men that lasted 28 days. In the first few weeks, the men using mediium chain triglycerides (MCT) lost a few more ounces of under the skin fat than the ones using olive oil, everything else was held constant in the diet. But by day 28 the oxidation rates of fat were the same for both oils. And-- these were 200-300 lb men. Four ounces on a 225 lb man is a 0.1% difference and this will be accompanied by a raise in plasma LDL. Not impressed. Ref is here:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: March 13, 2008 02:38AM

sad smiley

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 03:46AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i was just wondering if 1 tablespoon would be
> enough... Ive always read 3.5 table spoons per
> day, but i think its alot of fat...even for a raw
> vegan diet

Wow, that's almost a 1/4c! I think use only 2 Tbls a day.
I mix it with carob powder, hemp seed powder and agave nectar (or dried fruit that's been soaked and food-processed, if I have time) then put it on a piece of wax paper, fold it and spread it thin and stick it in the freezer and it gets stiff and makes a great "chocolate".

What arugula is saying about the diminishing effects of coconut over time reminds me of how Ann Wigmore would have her people be on wheatgrass for three weeks and then take a week off because if they were on wheatgrass all the time the body would adjust to it and it would stop working. (That was in the book with the spooky pic of the lips eating a strawberry on the cover)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 03:48AM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:03AM

i don't like coconut oil

the THREE times that i tried it

it made my stomach hurt and usually my stomach doesn't hurt

usually i feel pretty good

the first one was the one i got from NFL

the second one, i got at the store.. it was NUTRIVA

the third time, it was part of a raw cacao "candy"

i won't touch it anymore

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:04AM

i'm not trying to knock coconut oil

i love coconut juice

its just that i think it was simply a matter of storage

maybe it just goes rancid too fast

i don't know

but it wasn't very nice to my stomach

i don't think i like things that aren't fresh where i can see

the quality of it by just cutting into it ( like cutting an apple.. i can see if its rotten or not

u can't do that with coconut oil

it looks and smells the SAME whether the oil is rancid or not

so its hard to tell

i'm sure it would be GREAT and i would enjoy it if it was fresh instead of rancid

anyhow

i'm glad some people got good effects from it

must have meant they got it when it was fresh

Date: March 13, 2008 03:18PM

la_veronique

well its supposed to be THE MOST stable of all oil, it really does not go rancid easily, anyway the smell is supposed to change when it goes bad... But of course, like any oil, its not suggested to keep more than a year...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables