Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for the New Yorkers
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 05:03AM

Hello,

*Help* Does anyone know of an ACTUAL raw food (un)cooking class in New York? This is really annoying me, because I've been looking for 2 years, and they *appear* to exist, except in reality, there never seem to be any classes going on. A mirage, as it were.

The only thing I know what to do with a fruit or vegetable is wash it then eat it. I'm aware this is the optimal way to eat and that's fine, but I also want to know how to do fancy, pretty things with my food.

I just can't imagine that I would have to travel outside the city for raw food classes, that seems weird to me.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Sunshine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 05:08AM by sunshine79.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the New Yorkers
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 10, 2008 05:54AM

YouTube is such a great resource for raw cooking demos...

I know Alissa Cohen has a DVD too of her cooking classes...

Good luck!

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:55PM

I'm not in New York, but I'm right there with you. I think taking uncooking classes would be a lot of fun. For no other reason, to meet others in your community who are living the raw foods life. I hope you find some classes.

And I agree with maui_butterfly, YouTube is great for cooking demos as well as encouragement, information and events in the raw food life. These demos won't likely be as in-depth as you're looking for, but it's a good place to start.

You can also Google raw food websites to find ones with cooking demos. www.rawfoodmedia.com has a few. Again, they're usually the simple ones because making lasagna takes awhile!

Posted by: monson ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:00PM

have you tried [www.theplantindumbo.com]?

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 10, 2008 02:17PM

Alisa Cohen's site has a listing of teachers all over the place who can give classes. You can even get certified, but I don't think the expectation is that you'll work in a resturaunt. You can do it for yourself. Here's the locator:

[www.rawteacher.com]

Date: March 10, 2008 06:47PM

Maui_butterfly & Simple Living - thank you for the youtube suggestions - a real class seems much more fun to me, though.

Monson - yes that would be a good one except it appears to be defunct. Too bad, because it looks perfect.

Itzdavey - That is a terrific listing, I would never have found that, thank you. I see there are several teachers in the NY area - maybe they hold occasional group classes? I will have to email them.

Date: March 10, 2008 07:30PM

monson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have you tried [www.theplantindumbo.com]?

I emailed them and I did get a generated subscription response from them saying they'll email me regarding upcoming classes.... so maybe they do still exist?? But when I tried calling, their number was out of service, and 411 also had no information listed on them. So I have no idea. But thank you for that link, it's worth a try.

Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: March 12, 2008 02:43PM

Hi there, funny you should ask because at almost every raw resturant I've been to they offer un-cooking classes.

Jubb's Longevity, 508 E. 12th St., (212) 353 5000 is one, he even lets most people apprentice in his shop! which looks like alot of fun though it's a small shop.

Quintessence @
East Village 263 E 10th Street
(btw. Ave A & 1st Ave)NYC(646) 654-1823, used to have raw food classes, since they closed down their upper west side shop I stopped going but I would call just to find out if the classes are still going.

And here's another a little bit furthur uptown
RAW SOUL RESTAURANT AND JUICE BAR
348 W. 145th Street
(between St. Nicholas and Edgecombe Avenues)
New York, NY 10039
T: 212-491-5859, more info on classes at website www.rawsoul.com.

Goodluck!

Date: March 12, 2008 11:24PM

Rubyjewel, thank you for that info!

I did come across the Raw Soul one except it's in Washington Hts. I've been up there a few times and everyone stared - didn't feel safe.

Jubb's Longevity - def sounds good! I'll be sure to check that one out.

Thanks for your help smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables