Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shaving
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2008 03:43PM

lemoned, you wear panties silly duck, even for a brazillian wax.

i love my underarm hair, i really do. i think underarm hair on a woman is sexy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:50PM

I shave my armpits about once every other week and my legs maybe once a month. I'm a redhead though so all my hair is super pale, the only way you would notice it is if it gets really long. My husband was a welder for a long time too, he has super thick callouses on his hands and never notices if I shave unless he can actually see the hair, so it's wasted on him. I shaved much more often when I was single though.
I like when my husband shaves, but only because he looks much more handsome with a clean shaven face than with a beard, he just looks weird with a bear, it doesn't suit him. But if it did I wouldn't care. Honestly yes, if he had a lot of back hair it would gross me out, but thankfully he doesn't so it's a non issue. I do tweeze his eyebrows though, hehehe. But he asked me to..he's middle eastern and everyone in his family tends to have one eyebrow unless they do something about it.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 19, 2008 06:46PM

I haven't shaved in nearly 20 years. The last time I shaved was when my sister insisted that I not embarass her at her wedding (since I was in the wedding). I hated doing it and it wasn't comfortable at all when it started to grow back in.

I think underarm hair is sexy on men and women, but I know most people don't think that way. My husband told me when we first started dating that he didn't care if I shaved, or not, so I stopped. Years later he told me it might look nicer if I did, but that he still didn't care, and by that point he was out of luck. I love being natural and letting hair be where it's intended to be.

Over the years I've gotten many negative comments about not shaving. I feel sorry for the people saying things because they are brainwashed into thinking natural isn't normal. :-( I'm used to negative comments, however, since I've never really liked walking the paved path in life. There's too much fun creating your own path in life, right? ;-)

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 19, 2008 06:58PM

I like your story GypsyArdor! My boyfriend said the same about my legs, so I stopped. And then he started getting weirded out by bare underarms, so I stopped that. I am proud to have hit (and passed) puberty!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 19, 2008 09:10PM

There are a lot of elements of society that seem to be steering us toward an infantile state (dependence on technology for everything), so I can see, in a bit of a twisted way, how fearless display of sexual maturity could be perceived as a threat. There's SO much anti-family sentiment in western culture, fueled in part by some who can profit from destruction of the family--and hair appears finally when you get those special powers that let you start having your own family.

Date: March 20, 2008 02:54AM

righteous! it's not just a bit of fluff under my arms eh? we unshaven are like frida kahlo and her at the time unfashionable indiginous jewelry, it's a political statement yo! we'll make if fashionable eventually! or bring it back into fashion as the case may be...

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:36PM

I think that everything that is natural is against society.The society will never agree with nature because it is free and "cheap",and also everyone has a different way of viewing things. Society wants one way,one mind,unatural and expensive things and no freedom at all.
So,the best way is to be our own way and away from society.
Give fashion a new statement" freedom fashion,my own fashion.I do care about my fashion,my style.

Date: March 20, 2008 07:42PM

yeah phantom! And coco I like your Frida reference!

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 20, 2008 11:07PM

Has anyone's leg and underarm hair growth slowed down noticeably on raw?
mine has! But my the hair on my head and eyebrows has grown super fast! Any ideas as to why?

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:14AM

i'm a non shaver too. atleast for the winter months...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 22, 2008 02:03AM

Man. So. I've just been letting everything grow...

...and my boyfriend finally noticed today. He *FREAKED* out. He started yelling at me, saying how I had to find new ways to be weird every week, and if I wanted to go "all natural," he couldn't deal with it, and didn't want to be the one to stand by me. He talked about how it was gross, I shouldn't have it, etc. He "never saw himself as the guy with the hairy vegan girlfriend." He'd "dump me in the summer if I showed everyone my hairy armpits." This went on for an hour or two. "EVERYBODY shaves unless they're in a third world country. Even everyone in Europe shaves unless they live way far away from the city."

I never judged him for anything about his body. Anything. I told him I loved him for him, despite whatever condition afflicts the body he inhabits.

He asked, "Doesn't my opinion matter to you? Are you trying to fill some kind of void in your life by doing all of these weird things?" He really just went on and on and couldn't stop talking about how ugly it was. I have never had anyone so close to me point-blank razz me for something so utterly superficial to my face.

And I thought it was looking nice. I really don't want to shave it. There are plenty of hot and successful women out there who don't shave their armpits.

I had no idea I'd be met with such resistance. I tugged at his armpit hair while he went on and on, but, I'm "a girl, and shouldn't have armpit hair."

I'm quite blown away.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 22, 2008 02:32AM

wow, phantom. shocker! i don't know quite what to say! i know from experience though, if you like your hairy natural self and you shave to please some guy, you're going to regret it and resent him. so there must be another way to work this out between you two. sounds like the essential complaint is not about the hair at all, it is about your growth and exploration being labeled as finding new ways to be weird because you have an inner void. that's what really needs to be addressed. he's not being superficial, this superficial issue just happens to be the way the deeper issue is coming to the surface. its not the hair at all, but how he is choosing to interpret the hair in the context of your relationship (possible subtext: "i'm concerned that all these changes mean my girlfriend is a bit crazy, also that she might change so much that she will leave me behind, and i'm upset because my opinions don't seem to matter to her."winking smiley

good luck!

Date: March 22, 2008 02:44AM

Maui_butterfly is very wise. *Hugs* to you, Phantom.

XOXO

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 22, 2008 04:47AM

on the one hand i agree with maui.

on the other hand, IF it is a good relationship and

IF shaving is not a big issue for you, then maybe

you might want to.

but then again why let your bf dictate how you live

and what you choose to do and not do.

bummer really. good luck phantom.

i support you either way.

Date: March 22, 2008 03:45PM

Whoa--what is *really* going on with him? What he said about no one not shaving is just not true. It sounds like he's afraid that you're on another path, leaving him, and he wants to bring you back down where he is. He's afraid so he's acting out? Just some guesses. Maybe there's a way, if he's open to change, that you two can grow *together*--but he has to be willing to compromise to a certain degree...good luck, phantom.

Date: March 27, 2008 05:57PM

I need some advice on products/procedures, etc. My daughter, almost 13 years old, insists that she wants to shave no matter how much I tell her why I think it's not necessary. The choice is hers; it's her body.

So, I have to purchase supplies for her. When I shaved as a young girl, we didn't have a lot of money and I just used soap and a cheap razor. I always ended up with nicks and sores in my arm pits (probably because I was using the same razor over and over and over again). Anyway, what natural products are out there now for women who shave? I don't want her using some sort of cream to shave with if there's going to be a strong artificial odor. Any recommendations for a specific razor for her to use?

Thanks for any advice on products.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 27, 2008 06:05PM

hair removal is something i've been doing since i was 12, and i can't not...that said, i can't shave...not only does it not last nearly long enough but i have awful ingrown hairs...i think waxing is a pretty good way to go... i also have a machine called a silk epil...which everyone maynot be into (my body has become immune to the pain) but it's kind of like 10 tweezers working simaltaneously.

Date: March 27, 2008 06:13PM

She's next to me now, waiting for me to tell her what others have suggested. OUCH is what she says about waxing and the silk epil thing. LOL I told her wait until she gets an ingrown hair from shaving...then she'll know what OUCH is! ;-)

Thanks, though, Nadiarafi. We'll wait for the next responses to see if they are something she'd consider.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: March 27, 2008 06:28PM

razors have definitely come a long way since we were 13, GA... the newer ones are MUCH less likely to cut you. i would suggest just a nicer (non disposable) razor with disposable heads designed for women, and a shaving cream from the health food store. put aloe on the legs after shaving to close up the pores and prevent rashes.

once she's been doing it for many years (like me) she can do it with a rusy old disposable razor in the car while driving on dry legs (HA!) and suffer nary a scratch. but at first i would get all the training wheels (a good razor, the shave cream, and the aloe)...

good luck!

Date: March 27, 2008 08:09PM

I would just get her whatever she wants, as much as I'm personally against it, within financial reason. Simple cream and a razor (cheapest too). I think that's great you're letting her learn on her own, otherwise she'd always think of not shavingas a punishment.

Date: March 27, 2008 08:35PM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that's great you're letting her learn on her
> own, otherwise she'd always think of not shavingas
> a punishment.

Agreed. And I consider the "its YOUR body" message VERY important to communicate to our daughters in this society.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 27, 2008 10:59PM

whoaahhhh phantom

that is pretty harsh how your boyfriend treated you....

even though i like to have "smooth" ( hairless) legs etc. i would certainly respect whatever other people wanted for themselves

i don't know about the rest of u women, but men's chest hair tickles the heck out of my nose and face.. i'm not kidding... if u try to hug them bare chested and you are shorter than them etc. their chest hair just drives me insane! and i don't much like it (though i don't lose any sleep over it)

but i wouldn't tell a guy to shave his chest hair off... unless that is something he wanted to do for himself

though i did know of a guy who did that cuz his girlfriend requested him to do so. so he shaved his entire body LOLsmiling smiley

at any rate, i think phantom's boyfriend went overboard

is it a texture thing? like he just doesnt like the feel of hair on a woman's body?

i don't know

i do know that one time a previous bf of mine decided to 'surprise" me and shave his head into a mohawk

i freaked because i thought his hair looked good the way it was

but then , i kinda got used to it... and had to admit. that he looked pretty sexy either way LOL smiling smiley

Date: March 27, 2008 11:03PM

you know, waxing hurts at first but each time you go it stings less and less and really, it isn't that bad to begin with. i waxed for many years as my skin is very sensitive and i get razor rash and ingrown hairs like crazy no matter how careful i am or what i use.
tell your daughter this, shaving lasts for a day at best, stubble is the ultimate in unsexy, shaving costs way more in the long run, it is time consuming and messy and she WILL cut herself several times over the course of her shaving carreer, this is simply unavoidable and may leave scars for life (i have more than one). waxing is less expensive in the long run, it leaves a hairless leg for a great deal of time and eventually thins out the hair so that it grows back lighter and less noticable, So Long As it is Done Consistently! this is true and it's one of the major reasons to wax. and it's a trip to the spa, something that i still love to pamper myself with now and then (not the waxing, i go for a pedicure or facial which i totally love).

good luck to her!

oh, and the bikini line wax isn't really all that bad after the first time either. it's the underarms that i found excruciating.

oh yeah, and phantom, your bf is being a total jerk. i can't imagine talking to someone i care about like that. that is simply demeaning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2008 11:05PM by coco.

Date: March 28, 2008 12:38AM

At 12 (almost 13), she's not at a point where she thinks she's ready to try waxing. I wish she'd hold off on hair removal altogether! :-P

Anyway, I guess we'll check out the health food store for a shaving cream. Does anyone recommend a specific natural brand? I like the idea mauibutterfly suggested of a razer where my daughter just changes the blade, for less waste.

Thanks, everyone. I have read your comments to my daughter and she says thanks, as well.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: March 28, 2008 01:01AM

GypsyArdor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At 12 (almost 13), she's not at a point where she
> thinks she's ready to try waxing. I wish she'd
> hold off on hair removal altogether! :-P

hahahaha... good luck with that. my daughter is 5, and she thinks she's ready to gt her own apartment.

> Anyway, I guess we'll check out the health food
> store for a shaving cream. Does anyone recommend a
> specific natural brand?

dr. bronner's makes some, organic and fair trade. [www.drbronner.com]

Date: March 28, 2008 01:13AM

Thanks, maui_butterfly! I love Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap. I'll look for the shaving cream at the health food store. :-)

I miss when my daughter was younger and she thought I knew all the answers. She used to tell me she'd marry me when she was older, and that she'd always live with me. My husband wanted to correct her and tell her that she couldn't do that, but I insisted that she be allowed to think it was possible. I knew one day she'd grow up and not want that anymore. They grow up too fast---way too fast. Watching them grow is a beautiful part of life, but I still miss when she was very little. One day I'll miss this age she's at right now, too, I'm sure.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: March 28, 2008 01:57AM

GypsyArdor Wrote:
> Watching them grow is a beautiful part of life

Agreed. smiling smiley

Date: March 28, 2008 03:09AM

the best shaving cream i have ever used is hair conditioner. i still get irritated skin but much less than with anything else.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 28, 2008 06:11AM

natural shampoos make a good shaving cream as well
i ran out of shampoo the other day so i used my herbal conditioner
worked just fine

now coco

u got me to think about waxing

what do u use?

i had a roomate who used to boil honey and put that on a cloth to use as a wax

i forget how she did it

it was a while ago

i don't like using waxing chemicals

do u know of a natural formula?

Date: March 28, 2008 02:51PM

i don't take my hair off anymore but there is a recipe with boiled sugar and lemon that is supposed to work wonderfully well. maybe someone here has it or you could google it. i'll bet you find it no problem.
maybe i'll try it again this summer but i don't know. my skin just freaks out when i take off the hair. i might just use the clippers to trim it all as short as possible without taking it off right down to the skin if i am going swimming or something. or move to europe. ha ha.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables