Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruitarians : A few questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2008 06:29PM

Hey everyone!

In the past I was raw vegan for quite a while, and didn't enjoy it much. Not because of the limits of what you can eat, but rather than I am not a fan of vegetables whatsoever. Or at least, not many of them. I gave myself plenty of time to adapt my tastebuds to that way of eating (including doing a water fast prior to it), but it was just never my thing. I want to live a lifestyle that I will enjoy. And the more I research, the more I feel I could truly enjoy being fruitarian. I've found that some find this odd since I didn't like raw veganism, and being fruitarian is one step up from that. However, the difference is that with being fruitarian I can eat foods that I thoroughly enjoy eating! I see that there are different views in what fruitarians may consume, but that generally most find it OK to eat fruit, seeds, and nuts. These three things I love, and love a variety of items in the groups themselves.
Now, I have obviously read all the cons about this as there are cons about every diet that isn't considered to be "mainstream". But overall I have a few questions I would love answers for smiling smiley. Thanks in advance!

1. How much food to you typically consume in a day? If a few people could provide me with a few sample 'menus' of what they eat that would be absolutely wonderful!
Also, how much do you typically spend on groceries per MONTH?

2. Do you think that a monodiet is the best way to eat this way? I've found information about eating mono only, but I feel as if sometimes I would crave the variety of things like a fruit salad with sunflower seeds on top smiling smiley.

3. Do you currently eat 100% fruitarian, or do you mix in raw veganism? Or did anyone transition into eating this way by eating mostly raw fruitarian, but throwing in some cooked fruit (such as baked apples) here and there? Or were you raw vegan prior?

4. On fruitarian.com they mention that if you eat 100% fruitarian that you don't need to drink water, is this true? I'm a water junkie and am worried about consuming too much water once I reach 100% since you can get water poisoning.

5. I know this is one you've heard a million times. How do I ensure that I get all needed nutrients for my body to run adequately and efficiently?

6. If I'm pregnant, should I forego eating this way until the baby is born or until I am done breastfeeding? I want to make sure I keep optimum health during this time. If I should wait, then I will pick it up as soon as it is healthy to do so.

I guess that's all *for now*!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 06:30PM by LadyKhazam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruitarians : A few questions
Date: March 11, 2008 06:57PM

Just my two cents....if your going to go Fruitarian it's something that you must feel drawn to do, you have to have a gut feeling that it's the right direction to go in.....it's shoudn't matter what you hear about it or what people say because the need to follow this Fruitarian lifestyle has to come from within.

The most important thing is to simply eat what you enjoy....not what other people say you have to eat or when you have to eat it.

Hope that made sense.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 07:00PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 11, 2008 07:28PM

True, if you have to ask, I would reconsider it myself. It will come in time if it is meant to be. :O)

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 11, 2008 07:34PM

I thought about it and decided to reply more fully. :O)

Oh well, here's my answers for what they are worth

1. How much food to you typically consume in a day? If a few people could provide me with a few sample 'menus' of what they eat that would be absolutely wonderful!

7 bananas
2 Honeydew
6 oranges
6 tomato/.5 avocado
These are approximate numbers. I don't actually count my food :O)
I average about $10-15.00 a day though.
And this WILL and DOES CHANGE with the seasons, activity level among other things.

2. Do you think that a monodiet is the best way to eat this way? I've found information about eating mono only, but I feel as if sometimes I would crave the variety of things like a fruit salad with sunflower seeds on top smiling smiley.

When eating all fruit, mono works best for myself. Cravings are lessened when a diet is simpler in my experiences. The more I have combined, mixed or swing back and forth the harder it has been. Ofcourse that was years ago ;O)

3. Do you currently eat 100% fruitarian, or do you mix in raw veganism? Or did anyone transition into eating this way by eating mostly raw fruitarian, but throwing in some cooked fruit (such as baked apples) here and there? Or were you raw vegan prior?

97% Fruitarian, the winter can alter this to a degree. Never anything cooked, but some raw broccoli or brussel sprouts I'll partake in. Maybe I'll juice some carrots once in a blue moon too. Winters, like now just don't have the available fruit at times where I'm at so I make do.

4. On fruitarian.com they mention that if you eat 100% fruitarian that you don't need to drink water, is this true? I'm a water junkie and am worried about consuming too much water once I reach 100% since you can get water poisoning.

If you are thirsty still, drink water, being fruitarian isn't an automatic follow blindly no water diet.

5. I know this is one you've heard a million times. How do I ensure that I get all needed nutrients for my body to run adequately and efficiently?

There are no guarantees. If there was, everyone would know about it and everyone would want to do it. Do your best research and take it from there. No 2 people are the same and everyone has an opinion :O)

6. If I'm pregnant, should I forego eating this way until the baby is born or until I am done breastfeeding? I want to make sure I keep optimum health during this time. If I should wait, then I will pick it up as soon as it is healthy to do so.

No idea on that one and I wouldn't take a forum opinion for this advice actually, unless from a trusted, known individual.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 11, 2008 08:13PM

LadyKhazam I'm pregnant and doing fine on a raw diet. I actually feel fantastic, no morning sickness or anything. My only issue is that I'm pretty new to raw and I'm still having a lot of cravings for cooked food which are only made worse by pregnancy. I do take a vegan prenatal vitamin though...just to make sure.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 11, 2008 08:31PM

I'd wait till lactation was done. But more likely I'd adopt.

In the meantime, eat lots of fresh juicy fruit, which can be most but not necessarily all of your diet.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 12, 2008 01:25AM

Right. I agree with F1. Eating mostly...then all fruits was.....in my case....something I evolved into....and did....and then later heard sort of 'dissenting' opinions. So what? Is that going to alter MY life's passions...or what I feel is the fuel that's going to get me there? I applaud you for your intelligent questions. Lemme take a stab....

-Breakfast = 2 big glasses fresh orange juice. Snack = 1/2 lb grapes. Lunch = 5 small avocados (or whatever is really ripe in season). Snack = 3 or 4 apples. Dinner = 1/2 canteloupe or 1/2 pineapple or 1/2 watermelon or 1/2 papaya. It's all good.

-I think when you've evolved your diet, you may find eating mono eliminates potential digestive problems. It could be a good tool for your - if it's in line with YOUR goals.

-Yes. 100% fruit for at lest 2 or 3 years now. No nuts or greens. Of course, I transitioned to all raw over the course of 2 years...and ate all raw for many years before moving into more and more fruit.

-That's 99.9% true. I still occasionally drink water when REALLY working out.....sip some to be polite.

-Run your foods through the nutrient database or Fitday.

-I think you CAN make very small changes now...and keep increasing those VERY SMALL changes over the course of your pregnancy. Avoid any larger changes until after you give birth. Just my opinions. After all, it's the PROCESS...not the AMOUNT...that ensures success. If the process aint good...I don't care HOW much work a person does in a single day. The big buildings don't go up that way (neither does even the most basic tree).

-Hope some of my experiences are helpful.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Rozemarijn ()
Date: March 12, 2008 02:23PM

Storm and Jinjee have 5 kids. During some of the pregnancies she ate cooked and during others she ate raw. Ask her.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables