Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouting Question
Posted by: Juanita ()
Date: March 12, 2008 12:19AM

I want to start sprouting. The choices at the supermarket for organic sprouts are practically nil. My question - what things can you sprout? I mean can I sprout raw seeds like sunflower seeds that I buy at the store? I am confused as to which seeds I can sprout and where I can buy them?>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouting Question
Posted by: activeinternet ()
Date: March 12, 2008 12:37AM

Here is one source...

[www.healthy-eating.com]

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 12, 2008 12:46AM

this website is chock-full of sprouting information and organic seeds
www.sproutpeople.com

but if you go to the health food store, you should be able to find at least lentils (whole, not split), quinoa, and probably mung in the bulk section.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 12, 2008 01:00AM

There's no harm in trying! Ha! ha! Try many sources until you find a reliable one. Just soak your regular seeds and nuts overnight. Very small seeds might only need 4-8 hours. The rinse regularly and store in a cool, dark place until they sprout. Even stubborn ones should show activity within 3 days. If not, toss em and find another source.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 12, 2008 07:51PM

I read we should place them in a place where they get light. I would be easier for me to sprout them in a dark room (the only room I have left for that) but I want to make sure they'll do fine.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 08:47PM

I don't have light and mine do fine. The initiation of the sprouting process is the water--after all, if they were underground, they wouldn't see light until they already sprouted. Light is good for after the sprouting smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2008 02:01PM

I think certain sprouts,like the beans Mung and Lentil for example,sprout best in darkness.
I put my alfalfa sprouts on the window sill for a few hours everyday while they are growing.This makes them leaf out,and I am told thats when they are making chloryphil.
Spell check on that?
smiling smiley

Date: April 07, 2008 11:32AM

Hi.
Anyone ever sprout cantaloupe seeds?
Tasty?
Do they grow tails?
Brian

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:04PM

I KNOW they will form greens in soil...but I haven't tried just sprouting them. YOU can certainly try. Just rinse the seeds thoroughly of any melon pulp....then keep rinsing (3 times per day) and sprout for 3-5 days.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 07, 2008 02:23PM

i thought some sprouts (microgreens like broccoli etc) HAD to have sunlight? My sprouts look so miserable when they don't have any sun! "Hey, it's cold in here!"

Date: April 07, 2008 06:08PM

any sprout that gets a leaf needs some sunlight to develop chlorophyl, yes. grains, seeds and legumes that are going to be eaten as a sprout as opposed to a baby green (sprout with a leaf) are fine sprouted in the dark (like a sprout bag) or in a mason jar on the counter. no problem.

i keep tomatoes in a basket in the kitchen instead of the fridge and sometimes when i cut one open some of the seeds inside have started sprouting, it's the strangest thing! i feel funny eating them actually, since i didn't sprout them on purpose and they are trying to make a new plant. i feel like i should take them outside and put them in the ground!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables