Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fermented foods... and yeast ...?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 12, 2008 04:13PM

Fermented foods are considered raw, but they contain bacteria... Is that the same thing as yeast? or is it totally different?
Is nutritionnal yeast considered raw?
Arnt we supposed to avoid yeast??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fermented foods... and yeast ...?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 12, 2008 04:28PM

Bacteria and fungi are in different kingdoms. We are genetically closer to fungi.

Yeast is a fungi. I have never had a problem with it.

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:15PM

Aren't we supposed to avoid active yeast in raw food because it continues to grow in your body and it leeches nutrients? Or is that just one of the many myths that gets passed around because it sounds both plausible and scary?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:20PM

We digest active yeasts. They don't survive in our very acidic stomachs. But some bacteria do, such as H. pylori, the one that is responsible for ulcers. They survive by secreting urease enzyme, which hydrolyzes urea to carbamic acid and ammonia, which is alkaline.

The nutrient leeching parasites are the big worms. You generally get those from eating undercooked flesh or walking over infested feces with your bare feet. So quit worrying if you do neither of those.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:29PM

i heard the same thing as you No5

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 01:21AM

The common raw food wisdom around fermented foods and yeast is that it shouldn't be consumed by people with candida. Take this with a grain of salt, as candida was probably not caused by the consumption of these products (more likely the over consumption of fat).

I used to like fermented products, both before raw and during my transition. But I lost my taste for them. Also, the by products of fermentation include alcohol and acetic acid, both of which are not health inducing. Also, a lot of fermented products contain salt, which is also not health inducing.

Posted by: Dada ()
Date: March 16, 2008 11:42PM

Bryan, what about rejuvelac?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables