Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bar snacks
Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 13, 2008 07:29PM

when i go out with my friends, i only drink wine but when surrounded by greasy gross bar food, i often wish i had something to munch on. i have been taking home made trailmix with me...any other suggestions for easy to carry munchies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2008 07:41PM by nadiarafi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: natalia rose
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 07:46PM

I would go by your own experience on the fruit. I'm not sure, as long as I don't overeat I seem to be able to digest anything. Maybe I would notice more of a difference when overeating. She has interesting ideas for sure.

What I found interesting--eating light to heavy throughout the day, starting out with fresh green juice (her green lemonade is great), *slowly* transitioning your diet, choosing lighter healthy cooked foods like sweet potatoes over heavy foods like loads of nuts.

What I didn't like--as a vegan looking for raw ideas I was dismayed by all non-vegan or even flesh recipes. It's not enough for me to dismiss the book, but I felt like it was unnecessary, like many parts were a backwards step for me. Splenda was in the first edition but I believe she took it out after that, with stevia instead. Too much oil in some of the recipes--I don't use oil, I'd rather get a limited amount of fat from nuts and seeds (MUCH more nutrient-dense), and I can't use it regularly and maintain my weight. But they were modifiable.

I would recommend it, even if I don't endorse all the ideas.

Re: bar snacks
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:09PM

She? Who? What book? =)

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:42PM

Sure. Although I stick to fresh, you could make your own dehydrated snacks....like raisins....if it helps you to transition...and eat more fresh, raw plant foods. But what's wrong with apple slices in a baggie? When I'm out at a bar with friends...I'll whip out an apple. It's all good. I don't have to DO what they do....to be loving and supporting (thank goodness!) winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 09:21PM

Whoa! there was a post on natalia rose's book and what we thought about the fruit combinign ideas. Where'd it go!?!??!

Date: March 14, 2008 02:32PM

hi sorry i deleted the post because i realized...after further scrutiny of the books that she (natalia rose) endorses non-vegan food as well...so i figured it didn't belong on the forum. however, what i was intrigued about was her ideas on combining different fruit groups and waiting between eating them...i.e don't eat fruit 30-40 minutes before or after a meal that includes grains/veggies because the combination in your stomach ferments and isn't good for your digestion...she is also opposed to mixing fruits and veggies together (even in a salad...but veggies/maple syrup/olive oil/vinegars/raw sweetners and seasonings are considered neutral food that can be combined with whatever...

i wasn't sure if it was ok to bring her up in the forum because of her non-vegan raw theories...but if i haven't talked about anything that's non-vegan...i figure i'm ok...right?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 14, 2008 04:52PM

Bar snacks are going to be nutritionally very similar to trail mix. And not all that good for you compared to what David Mason is suggesting.

I'd bring some cut up fruit and order a garden salad, no dressing, maybe a wedge of lemon or lime as dressing.

Date: March 14, 2008 05:09PM

wait...how can bar snacks (french fries/salted roasted peanuts/pretzels/and greasy friend unvegan food etc) be the same as trail mix?

here's my trail mix recipe:

dried unsulphere apricots
dried organic unsweetended raisins
raw almonds
raw cashews
raw sunflower seeds

sorry i just don't see how it's the same. also, when i'm carrying a small clutch/purse it's hard to put cut up apples/fruit etc into it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 14, 2008 06:28PM

Oh, I meant like Lara Bars. Not drinking bars.

Date: March 14, 2008 07:21PM

oh...haha gotcha

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:40PM

For some reason, any nut/ trail mix I combine with fresh fruit causes stomach pain for me. So in my opinion,you may want to be careful really, fruit usually doesn't combine well with a lot of stuff, and better eaten alone. But if you are ok with it, then all goodsmiling smiley I can't though. If you ask my opinion, some raw crackers (yummy flax crackers - I saw the recipe in Karen Knowles website), raw unsalted nuts are good ideas for snacks..

Take care
A Iyer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables