Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juice fasting and colon cleansing..need advice
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 14, 2008 10:28PM

hi,
I am vegetarian in good health, but not vegan or rawfoodist. I want to begin doing a juice fasting because I've read all the benefits, hopefully I like it a lot and stick with rawfoods.
I would like get a colon detox as well while I do the fasting, but I am not sure if the juice fat will be enough to cleanse the colon, so I am considering using natural supplements. There are way too many colon cleansing supplements in the internet and some quite expensive, so I need help from someone who has done this before. Any suggestions on which one to use, also book or program to stick for the juice fast? how long should I do it for? (I was thinking a 30 day most, but would this be good enough?) what kind of vegetables and fruits to use? any other products I should use. I have a regular blender already and a juicer (Breville elite) is this all I need? I am very eager to do it, but a bit scare as well, from experience I know that cleansings can be tough and not sure how my body will react, so I would like to get as much information as possible.
thank you very much for your suggestions….

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 10:30PM by jezmia.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juice fasting and colon cleansing..need advice
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 15, 2008 01:14AM

I would recommend Celery and Carrot for the juices and Oxy-Powder for the colon cleanser. Go easy on the O-P. It works by creating oxygen in the colon from the main ingredient....Magnesium Oxide........WY

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 15, 2008 06:19PM

the salt water flush from the master cleanse is a great colon cleanser... you could do the juice fast essentially like a Master cleanse, with senna leaf tea (traditional medicinals Smooth Move has senna, and some other herbs that support) in the evening and a salt water flush in the morning each day. or i actualy switched it and did the senna tea in the morning and the SWF in the evening...

Date: March 15, 2008 11:35PM

Maui_butterfly,
I am totally new at this, so I google the master cleanse and got this, is this what you are talking about
[www.mastercleanser.com], can I convine this with a juice fast or do you think this is too much? if I do, how many days should I fast in total? thanks!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 16, 2008 12:17AM

jezmia,

If you are intending to start and continue with the raw diet, all this fasting and colon cleansing will not be necessary, as the raw diet just by itself is quite cleansing. All the soluble fibers found in fresh fruits and vegetables do a great job of cleaning out the digestive tract.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 16, 2008 12:48AM

I agree with Bryan, I think it's more important to find a way of eating that you can stick with and do that for awhile before doing anything else. It's easy to do a fast for awhile and get a colonic, but it's not an actual lifestyle change, and it's easy to go back to poor habits if you weren't eating well for a long time before making those changes. Cleansing is not a race and any positive changes you make (increases in fresh fruits and veggies) will clean you out at a comfortable pace.

Date: March 16, 2008 12:55AM

Hi Bryan,

the only concern I have is that I don't think that parasites will be eliminated only by eating raw food, I can be mistaken though.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 16, 2008 12:58AM

Some parasite can be eliminated with just raw foods, say like giardia (in this case, it goes away by itself). But the parasites that are not handled by a raw diet can be handled with a supervised water fast.

Before you cleanse yourself, be sure you have parasites. Many of the parasite cleanses have harsh herbs in them and won't feel good to consume them.

Date: March 16, 2008 02:55AM

> Before you cleanse yourself, be sure you have
> parasites. Many of the parasite cleanses have
> harsh herbs in them and won't feel good to consume
> them.

Unfortunately I already know I have parasites, got them traveling abroad and haven’t been able to get rid of them with prescriptions.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 16, 2008 06:46PM

re: master cleanse -- yep, that's it. you don't have to buy the book (although its only $7 and available at most health food stores...), its online here [healthandlight.com] a quick read.

its a liquid fast combined with using senna tea and salt water flushes for colon cleansing (although the lemons and the cayenne in the master cleanse are said to prep the colon for cleansing...)

however, imo doing a colon cleanse by itself is not enough to get rid of parasites, because it doesn't address all phases of the lifecycle generally. combining it with an herbal treatment would help. say 7 days of herbs, then start the cleanse for however long, but keep the herbs going for 60 days. my ayurvedic practitioner mixed up a custom blend of herbs that included cloves, black walnut, triphala, lotus root, some other stuff. i noticed no discomfort and felt good taking it, and it worked quickily (i noticed results in 4 days, symptoms completely gone in 2 weeks) although i stayed on the herbs for 60 days to get ALL the buggers.

good luck, regardless of how you choose to approach this, i support your seeking and know you will find the answer for YOU.

Date: March 17, 2008 06:47PM

Thank you Maui_butterfly for your message and words of encouragement. I will check if there is an ayurvedic doctor in my area who mixes herbs and can give me something. My acupuncturist also practices ayurvedic medicine, but he already gave me a supplement bottle, which did not do much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables