Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Supplement or not?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:27PM

Hi Folks,
I am seeking opinions today on whether to still take even just a daily multi vitamin every day.
Do any of you take vitamins,even on a raw diet?
Am I just still caught in the brainwashing of the vitamin companies,and all the mainstream nutrition opinions out there?
Will vitamin pills make me sick if I am totally raw?
I feel like I will become deficient in SOMETHING that my body needs.
But then again,I do feel the raw foods of the Earth will supply everything I need.
I am still very new at this.
smiling smiley
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Supplement or not?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:31PM

hi!

well... You are "supposed" to get all your vitamins (and loads more) from a raw diet... Only B12 can be harder to get, but you can find it on unwashed root vegetables (carrots turnips radish) its ok not to wash them if they are organic, cause anyway they dont have perticides, only a little bit of soil, wich contains the precious B12 bacteria...
Since its a bacteria you can find it "on" the fruits, vegatables, sprouts...Seeweed is supposed to have some, but i think we dont really assimilate it well...

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:34PM

Hey, Brian. I would at least take a sublingual B-12, such as this (look for methylcobalamin): [www.downbound.com]

----
that's the only one i feel is necessary (and not daily, maybe twice a week)
----

I also take 1/3 of a dose of a multi. I don't have a good reason why. I just do. smiling smiley

I also take DHA, but you can get omega 3s from things such as flax oil, walnuts, hempseeds, etc. (http://vegangoods.com/store/product.php?productid=718&cat=0&page=1)

I don't think the raw or not-raw nature of a vitamin would make you ill. smiling smiley

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: March 16, 2008 07:39PM

They wont make you ill, but its just a waste of money... Anyway, most of the vitamins on the market dont actually even contain as much vitamins as they say, and its "dead" anyways so... If you eat properly, ya just dont need thos pills full of flour! hahaha

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:46PM

I take B12 once a week and D2 daily. If you sun and are not that far from the equator you don't need to take D2.

Date: March 16, 2008 07:56PM

Thanks folks for quick responses.
I did have a gut feeling that some B 12 would be a good idea.
And I dont get huge amounts of sun,so the D2 I will look into also
And for omega 3's I do take a spoon of flax oil several times a week.
Thanks.
Brian

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 16, 2008 08:07PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont get huge amounts of sun,so the D2 I will look into also

Shiitake mushrooms have vitamin D2 in them. Here's a link:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 16, 2008 08:32PM

I've been all raw for over 6 years, and I don't supplement.

Date: March 17, 2008 12:29AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unwashed root vegetables ...
> its ok not to wash them if they are organic...

i will again relate the story of my very healthy country livin' sister who was infected with a Dreadful parasite that required aggressive antibiotics to rid herself of. she still (2+ years later) hasn't entirely recovered from either the drugs or the parasite. Ascaris lumbricoides, in case you feel like looking it up.

wash your produce people. parasites like this one ain't fun yo.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:05AM

Eek! Ascaris is a worm.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:25AM

Here's a picture:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: March 17, 2008 02:29AM

well... even when washing your fruits/vegatables, there are still chances to catch parasites... I'm not really afraid of that...

Date: March 19, 2008 11:35PM

Hi folks,
Tonight I am wondering if anyone here takes any kind of herb or nutrient to heal a specific condition.
The reason I ask is that I was a heavy beer drinker before transitioning to raw diet,and I have read that things like milk thistle and lecithin granules are helpful for healing the liver.I dont have any outward signs of liver damage.Just slightly elevated enzymes on my last blood work.
Would your opinions lean toward relying on totally raw foods to heal any damage?
Thanks.
Pleasant evening to all...
Brian

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:07PM

My husband and I both supplement. We're new to raw and probably won't do it after we get accustomed to eating right but right now I worry that we don't know enough about nutrition to get the right amount of vitamins and nutrients. So for now we both take a vegan multi vitamin and are very happy with that.
My husband has suffered from severe acid reflux for a very long time. He took Prevacid twice a day and ate tums like candy. He went to the doctor about getting surgery for it and they told him his condition was so severe that he'd literally end up having to have the surgery every year so it wasn't worth it.
Since we went raw he no longer takes Prevacid at all. He still has occasional heartburn but usually it happens when he eats non raw food and for that he only needs to pop a couple of Tums and he feels fine again. We didn't do anything specific, just ate raw food, nothing special. My husband does have a tendency to make extremely sour green smoothies and he drinks a ton of grapefruit juice on a daily basis.
We're both having bloodwork done on our yearly checkup in the next month or so here, I will be sure to post the results. Last year my husband had extremely high cholestoral and some stuff was pretty out whack with his liver even though he doesn't really drink, so we'll see what happens this year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables