Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is this nut intolerance?
Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 16, 2008 09:06PM

Dear all

Was just wondering if anyone could make sense of something weird that has happened to me a few times now...

I ate some lunch today, which was a couple of bananas, some blueberries and then a handful of almonds. Straight after finishing, I started to feel that my face was getting very warm and also I got a kind of "prickly" sensation. I suppose a bit like sunburn where you can feel your skin giving off heat and throbbing a bit. Looked in the mirror and my face was very red and blotchy. this lasted maybe 15 mins then seemed to go again.

This is the third time now I have had this kind of reaction. The other two were worse, in that I became VERY hot and was red and blotchy not just on my face, but also round my elbows, round my knees and round my armpits.

The first time it happened I had just eaten a bowl of muesli (before raw ha ha) rice flakes, soya milk and mixed nuts and dried fruit. I thought the soya milk must have been off. Then the second time it was coconut which set it off, again I just thought the coconut must have been off.

Now I'm wondering - is it nuts?

I eat nuts every day but I have only had this reaction several times.

BUT I have also noticed that once I start on the nuts, I have a REALLY hard time stopping and I get bad sugar cravings once I have finished with them...am sure I remember reading somewhere that if you have an intolerance to something you just want more and more of it.

Any ideas?

Don't want to have problems with nuts because I like them! And they have lots of nutrients!

Thank you!

Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is this nut intolerance?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 16, 2008 09:16PM

Yes, this sounds like allergy. It's not unusual with tree nuts. The severity of your reaction might be related to the quantity. Have you noticed this to be the case? Or if you are still eating cooked ones, you probably have better tolerance for them (unfortunately raw proteins are less tolerated than cooked regarding allergies).

You might get away with limited amounts of them. But if it were me, I'd probably pass, and do mono eating for a while, very slowly introducing one new food at a time and gauging the reaction to each.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 16, 2008 09:21PM

Can't guess about the reasons for your reactions, but nuts and fruit isn't a good mix. Most tend to give up or go easy on the nuts anyhow the more they progress too.

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 16, 2008 09:25PM

Hi arugula and tanawana

Thanks for the help...I guess no more nuts for me then, at least for a good while sad smiley

I eat cooked nuts, not raw. Haven't really noticed a connection with the amount. Had kind of been thinking that they're not so good for me for a while now, though...because they make me want to binge and also I had noticed I get a runny nose after eating them.

Thanks

claire

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: March 16, 2008 10:30PM

I bought a big bag of raw brazil nuts only to get the same reaction you outlined, along with wheezing. However, there were some happy squirrels in my yard after that.

Have you tried raw almonds? you mentioned you eat cooked nuts. Maybe after some mono eating try some raw ones by themselves?

good luck.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:49AM

Hopefully seeds will be better tolerated? Seeds tend to be more nutritious, at least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables