Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw during pregnancy
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2008 11:07PM

I had made a post before about trying fruitarianism after I give birth and stop breastfeeding. A few people mentioned being raw during their pregnancy.

I was curious to hear about how those who did that ate while pregnant and to hear of their experiences. Anyone want to help me out smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw during pregnancy
Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: March 22, 2008 04:37AM

I had a raw pregnancy and it was amazing. I was 100% raw for almost 2 years before my pregnancy. I gained about 15 pounds, 8 of which were baby and I was raw while breastfeeding too. He weaned himself around 2.5 years old. I followed my instincts and cravings. Before I officially knew I was pregnant (had my suspicions!) I craved oranges like crazy-- right around the time when you need a folic acid boost. My cravings tended to go that way- my body craved what it needed when it was needed. I ate a lot of dark leafy greens, a lot of fruit, and tended towards fattier foods at times, like nut pates and avocados. I had 2 banana smoothies every day, sometimes with hemp seed when I felt the craving. It was confirmation that I instinctively knew what my body needed at any given moment. It was my most perfect time nutritionally and I didn't even have to try.

Good Luck!

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:16AM

I'm currently pregnant and trying my hardest to stay raw although cravings are getting the better of me a lot. I craved oranges every day when I was first pregnant, right now all I want is watermelon every single day. I have no morning sickness whatsoever and I really feel like that's thanks to what I'm eating since everyone else I know has had terrible nausea.
I posted a raw pregnancy diary in the diary section about my challenges if you feel like reading.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:39PM

nope, couldn't do it. by month 5 i was so damn hungry, i was so hungry! i was consumed by thoughts of food and eating. finally i gave in and ate some lentil soup and had to go back for a second bowl, my body was just screaming "hurrah!".

i didn't get a lot of practical advice on WHAT to eat either though. just stories and encouragement, but it wasn't enough. maybe if i had read or heard some specific amounts of food, recipes, something but... lentil soup was it for me.

good luck! remember that each small positive thing that you do adds the the overall positivity, focus on all the good you are doing, each little step along the way. have a happy pregnancy!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: March 30, 2008 12:49AM

i'm with coco on this one....

with both my pregnancies, i was raw before pregnant, got pregnant and knew it b/c i wanted brown rice. (blech) or something odd like that.

the first trimesters i was raw, usually green juices and lots of fruit. but come the second trimester, i needed some starches- potatoes for me. and brown rice. both times. and then, at the end of the second trimester, i would be back on crazy amounts of fruit.

but while breastfeeding, back to 85% or higher raw. i make too much milk if i eat things like potatoes and rice (makes me think my body needs the easy energy for the kiddo during the second trimester, since my milk supply will double overnight and that is painful).

but i also don't know if it is seasonal, since i've gotten pregnant in June both times and had babies in March- and during the winter i'm less raw than in the summer. lately, our whole family is mostly raw in the summer, it's natural for us.

peace-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables