Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pools and spas
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:41PM

What do you guys think about going to pools or spas? Are the chemical bad for the health. Do you still go to pools?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pools and spas
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 17, 2008 05:53PM

I still go. It comes up so rarely.....for me. Swimming in a pool disinfected with chlorine...is the LEAST of my worries for day-to-day living! Ha! ha! It is the lifestyle and thoughts that I lead in the other 99.9% of my life that are going to determine my state...you know? I'm far more worried about maintaining my car.....eating well....and showing friendship to the NOW....and the amazing people in it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 17, 2008 06:58PM

Ah... the lovely New Jersey beaches of my childhood, closed often for red tide and full of syringes floating down from New York... I'm still alive!

I had a friend with an indoor hot tub that used no chemicals--everything was cleaned with some kind of internal boiler. It was quite lovely. When I have my own place and can have such luxuries, I'd definitely want one like that.

You also have to consider the amounts of chlorine and other chemicals you're getting from the tap on a daily basis...

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 07:39PM

When the smell of chlorine starts to bother you, it is probably too much. But up to a certain point, I think the enjoyment of it can outweigh the chemical risk (I do it rarely so I never worry, for example).

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 17, 2008 10:24PM

I have a friend that has a saltwater pool. It uses a few chemicals but much less.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 18, 2008 12:21AM

the nearest pool is salt water. still some chlorine but not as much. i would think that swimming in a very chlorinated pool would not feel terrific to me. the smell of bleach alone is enough to give me headache, never mind soaking in it.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 12:33AM

Coco, I'm with you. I can't imagine soaking in chlorine. Yuck. I can't even use it in cleaning products or on my clothes.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 18, 2008 01:37AM

rivers and beaches for me.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: March 18, 2008 02:33AM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When the smell of chlorine starts to bother you,
> it is probably too much. But up to a certain
> point, I think the enjoyment of it can outweigh
> the chemical risk (I do it rarely so I never
> worry, for example).

I'm beginning to smell chlorine in the bathroom and coming from the kitchen taps too. At first I thought someone had used a harsh cleaner in the house, but I realized it was the water.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:52PM

I go to the saltwater pool at my gym and that's it. I started smelling a lot of chlorine in my water too and we ended up installing a filter on the shower head.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:58AM

I've been a big Fan of Pools and Spas. The Chlorine Issue hasn't bothered me.
However, it may be best to just exercise in a warm room rather than use a Spa to work up a Sweat. A Spa is chlorinated heavier than a Pool. The Spa I use is kept at 104 to 105 Degrees Fahrenheit and the Pool is around 82. It stimulates the System to go from one to the other........WY

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: March 19, 2008 05:39AM

I swim 3-4 times a week in a chlorine pool.
Of course it is not ideal, but it's OK with me because I trust that it is necessary when so many people come together and share their...stuff. I love swimming more than I dislike the risk of chemicals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables