Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

organic aloe vera juice...is this stuff raw?
Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 17, 2008 11:02PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum though have been perusing you guys for a few months now. Can't believe how interesting and informed so many of you are...not to mention just plain NICE. Real sense of community and caring. VERY cool!! In brief intro...

I became vegetarian almost 20 years ago, vegan 10 years later, and for the last year or so have followed a 90-95% rawfood diet (still enjoy miso, "mana bread" and the occasional veggie burger...handmade of course).

Here's my question: Does the way they process the plants for organic aloe vera juice render it rawless? (new and creative word) I've been an avid drinker of the stuff for years because of the touted health benefits and how great it feels going down. Am I imagining that I'm doing something good for myself or are the claims for real?

Your esteemed input please. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: organic aloe vera juice...is this stuff raw?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 18, 2008 01:09AM

Anything like that in a packet will be pasteurised. I buy whole aloe vera leaves and use the gel in smoothies. I'm also growing my own aloe, but it takes about 5 years to get leaves you can use.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 18, 2008 05:45AM

Wasn't aware of the packets. The aloe vera juice I buy comes in bottles from Lily of the Desert and is made out of 100% organic whole aloe vera leaves, or so they say. No mention of it being pasteurised, though citric acid and potassium sorbate are listed as preservatives...both of which, to my limited knowledge, are fairly benign.

[www.lilyofthedesert.com]

Where do you buy the leaves to make gel? Is it difficult to grow? I live in the heart of San Francisco so not sure whether this is even feasible for me.

Would love to know if anyone else has experience with or regularly drinks the stuff.

Thanks!

~lanie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2008 05:49AM by Lanie.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 18, 2008 06:07AM

hi lanie, welcome to the club!

aloe grows like crazy in the desert. super easy plant to grow.

if you really want to know if lily of the desert aloe is raw, contact the manufacturer. you'll get used to doing that soon enough, and you'll soon enough discover that unless it specifically says "RAW", it most likely isn't. and even sometimes when it says RAW, it isn't. so you always have to ask.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 18, 2008 09:50AM

Most of the aloe vera juices I have seen have sodium benzoate (E211) added. Not good for people with food sensitivities.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 18, 2008 12:58PM

I get my aloe leafs from various shops here in London. They always have a label on with this website [www.aloeking.com] which is in the US.

I find them easy to grow, my only tip is don't water them too much, they don't like that.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 18, 2008 08:43PM

Thanks for all the great advice you guys...really helpful!!

You're right about not trusting the claims of raw on labels maui_butterfly. Learned that the hard way with an erroneously purchased case of "truly NOT raw" agave nectar. Luckily they accepted returns but still, what a hassle.

No sodium benzoate listed rawnoggin but I'll check it out with the manufacturer when I call.

Best option, of course, would be purchasing the leaves myself. Danke for the link funky rob...going there now.

Blessings & Peace,

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Date: March 20, 2008 07:18AM

I contacted the suppliers in Texas from FunkyRob's link as their website is still under construction.

Of course, they'll happily ship me as much aloe vera as I'd like, though I'd much prefer a less petrol wasting way to purchase the plant. Living in San Francisco may not leave me much choice though, other than to forgo the item altogether I guess.

If anyone's aware of another option for the Bay area would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Blessings & Peace,

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:15PM

Hi Lanie,

Just a thought, but personally, before having anything shipped to me from far away, I would probably go to a local garden store if you have one, and see if they have anything.

I haven't bought aloe for years, so I don't know how popular it still might be, but even here in Canada, I am sure we used to easily buy it at any garden store.

Good luck!

Sapphire

Date: March 20, 2008 11:23PM

Thanks sapphire. Never thought of that but makes sense. For a progressive city like mine, with all the farmers markets, co-ops and vegan eateries, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't carry the stuff. Great idea!! I'll check it out this weekend.

Shalom,

~lanie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables