Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

constantly tired
Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:24PM

ok, i've been raw for almost three weeks now and am going tohrough some serious fatigue.

i start off my day with a smoothie with a combo of fresh and frozen fruits with some raw honey and a handful of flax seeds. then i have two pieces of fruit and a salad for lunch which contains a combo of dried fruits, fresh veggies, lettuce or greens and nuts. I also will supplement this with either a lara bar or some homemade trail mix. then i have another big salad similar to lunch time salad for dinner and more fruit.

i run 5-6 days a week and life weights twice a week.

i sleep 6-9 hours daily.

drink 2 glasses of wine about three times a week.

not only am i constantly fatigued but my weight is staying very stable. i didn't go raw for weight loss purposes but i would like to shed about 10 pounds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: constantly tired
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:34PM

I am interested in what others say, but I wanted to ask if you were drinking caffienated beverages before? Sometimes when we stop consuming stimulants, we get more in touch with what our body needs--and it may be more sleep than we were getting before. I too have been getting 6-9 hours of sleep, and at 6-7 I feel awful, at 8-9 I feel great (though I realize this is individual of course!).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:50PM

I hear you - and it must be frustrating.

1) If weight loss is an issue for you, then you CAN start journaling EVERYTHING you are putting in your mouth. Try it for a week. Then you can easily find out how many calories you are consuming, and what you generally need to maintain body weight. In general, if you are eating far more than you need to maintain body weight...than it will be tough to lose weight in the long run...no matter how long you run! LOL.

2) You CAN eat simpler by avoiding processed foods.

3) Eat a more measured level of nuts, avocados, or other high-calorie items.

4) Avoiding medications and nervous system stimulants or depressants (alcohol) may help stabilize your energy levels.

-In any event, energy fatigue (or high-energy phases) are normal throughout a transition period - especially if the person is still eating processed or cooked foods. Simply accept this...adjust accordingly...and I do believe it will pass. Just my experiences / opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:50PM

I would bring up the topic of proper food combining...that the fatigue might be your body trying to process to many varieties of food at each meal? Thoughts everyone?
Also the wine .It is a depressant and I dont know how even small amounts will affect you on a raw diet.(I personally wouldnt consider 6 glasses a week a small amount)
Also fatigue might just be your body adjusting to a different eating style.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 18, 2008 07:51PM

I know someone who, when they went raw, drank wine and it made them sluggish.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 18, 2008 11:47PM

If you are tired you probably aren't eating enough. You said that weight loss is not a strong motivation right now. So I would put that off for a bit and start eating more! Figure out how much you have to eat to feel good and stay there for a while.

Back to now: I'll bet you have lost at least 1/2 lb per week of fat if you are feeling draggy, it might be that you are retaining water at the moment to make a temporary disguise.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:57AM

nadiarafi,

I wrote about my detox and experience with constant fatigue in this post called Re: New 80/10/10 raw blog.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: March 19, 2008 08:10PM

fatigues is the first sign of dehydration....eat more fruits and veggies....they are hydrating....dried fruits....nuts....lara bars....alcohol is dehydrating.....

just a thought....

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 19, 2008 08:20PM

Posted by: meinleben (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2008 12:10PM

dried fruits....nuts....lara bars....alcohol is dehydrating.....

I think I read somewhere that caffeine is dehydrating. Does anyone remember if thats correct ?

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:16PM

thanks for all the responses. i will start journaling what i eat. i don't think dehydration is a problem tho because since i've been eating raw, i've yet to feel thirsty, despite that i drink about 2 liters of water a day.

maybe i need to lay off the wine for a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables