Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sore back/muscle tightness
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:01PM

Has anyone overcome a troubled back? I remember reading testimonials here and there about how people fixed different back problems with raw, but since it didn't apply to me, I failed to store the minutiae of what they actually did to help themselves. ^.^;;

My boyfriend has been having a tough time with his back recently. He has a strenuous construction job, is a bit overweight and on the SAD diet, has been in an out of the chiropractor's office, but the same problems always seem to be returning. He actually called me to (seriously) say today, "Baby, maybe I should do some yoga with you," which is INCREDIBLE, because it's one of the first times he's genuinely showed an immediate interest in doing something for his health. He usually just ignores everything that gets disturbed within his body, and then gets angry with me if I show too much concern. Since he actually came to me for some advice, I want to give him the absolutely best suggestions that I can.

I know this board is a great place full of advice, so I was just wondering if anyone could share any natural tips I could pass to my boyfriend to help him help himself. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sore back/muscle tightness
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:13PM

I was going to say breathing exercises/yoga, so he's on the right track. Also, shoulder stretches.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:48PM

#1) YOGA!!!

#2) KETTLEBELLS for functional strength & flexibility (esp. back and shoulder) nothing beats kettlebells. they're AWESOME. check it:

[www.artofstrength.com]
[www.youtube.com]

#3) regular (once or twice a month) bodywork -- deep tissue massage, rolfing, chiropractic, whatever. if you just do the bodywork with no other work (yoga, kettlebells, etc.) the effects of the bodywork won't really last in my experience. but getting regular bodywork in conjunction with those things will greatly assist the body.

good luck phantom! sometimes its our illnesses that lead us to the greatest things. when we get sick and tired of being sick and tired... i wish you and your bf well!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 19, 2008 11:56PM

Also, though expensive, you can't beat a good mattress. I HATE sleeping away from home (even if I'm enjoying myself in said other bed winking smiley because my back hurts the next day. I love my bed!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 20, 2008 03:47PM

Rolfing! I finally committed to doing ten sessions (expensive!) and after the seventh, I fianally notice a drastic change. It was SO worth it. Yoga, stretching, and strength training have been helpful adjuncts--the last of which shocked me. I thought since I was tight, I didn't need to work my muscles any more. But it turned out that some side back muscles were working overtime, and my trapzius need to be strengthened so they will do their job of bringing the shoulders down and back. So the strength traning is putting everything back into balance.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:03PM

He might try adding some Bragg raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to salads daily as a dressing, or in some water to drink. Between 1-3 T a day. He may have stones, either or all kinds of stones..like kidney, gall and liver stones. Softening them up first is easiest.

Also, low iron is another thing..so you could tell him to try a green smoothie daily for a couple weeks. Or for a test, have him take some iron tablets (1-3 a day) and if he doesn't feel better in the first 3 days, he probably doesn't need additional iron.

A balance of minerals you find in green leafy veggies are in perfect proportion to each other.

Better diet, getting rid of stones and uric acid build up, exercising more are all great ways to get a healthier back.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 20, 2008 07:18PM

Thank you, everyone. =) We'll see how it goes...

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: March 20, 2008 11:09PM

Not sure if this helps at all, but my back hurt as a result of detox when I first went raw (or 'raw-er' than before).
i got a cold and back pains. Took some flaxseed for omegas as my body worker suggested, and it helped.

Posted by: theredtree ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:07AM

Im have just started treatment with an osteopath for scoliosis (and by no coincidence,the facility is located within a yoga studio). Nevertheless, i feel the results immediatly after each session and sleep sound, finally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables