Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

rash around mouth
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 20, 2008 01:50AM

My daughter has developed a red irritation under her bottom lip and chin. She now hates me washing her mouth. She is 2. This has appeared since trying to get her to eat more raw foods. Could it be from fruit? Maybe from having juice from eating fruit sitting on her skin for too long before I've washed it? What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rash around mouth
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 20, 2008 02:32AM

hmmmmm... sounds like you're on to something... is she eating mangoes or pineapples at all? i know some kids who can EAT mango, but can't let it touch their skin or they will get a rash (and they can't touch mango skin at all, either). and pineapples can be so acidic.

Date: March 20, 2008 03:04AM

mmmmm, could be either. Your mango info is interesting. I was thinking too that it could be the cherry tomatoes she's been eating of the bushes in the veggie garden.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:30PM

well!! when i cut up a pineapple, I eat the flesh left on the heart of the fruit, AND EACH TIME, i get a rash around my mouth... It gets all red and it itches... But i keep forgetting and doing it over and over again...

Posted by: birch ()
Date: March 24, 2008 03:03PM

I get the same reaction around the mouth from eating mangos- they are botanically related to poison ivy which i get a VERY VERY bad reaction from (poison ivy). I avoid the rash by drinking mango juice and eating dried mangos but hardly ever fresh (I find if I eat *skinned* mango *with a fork*, I'm okay - it's something to do with the skin and seed).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 24, 2008 03:52PM

Sure. If she reacts badly to a particular fruit or food....make sure to identify and eliminate. Fruit, although very good, is often unripe....and might be more negative to a sensitive child's mouth area.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 24, 2008 06:23PM

Hi, I had the same reaction few times, when I started eating lots of fruit. For me, it was not any particular fruit, but in general, wen I switched to a mostly raw diet, I got several rashes around my mouth.

I read that, fruit is very light and "flushes" toxins out. In many cases, the rash looks like "allergic" reaction to fruit and actually its the flushing of toxins. For me thats pretty much what it was..

But this can be painful and uneasy for a small child, so may be can you try more fresh veggies than fruit? May be that will help her to ease into raw.

In anycase, congrats on feeding raw healthy food to your child.

Hope she feels better.

Take care
A Iyer

Date: March 24, 2008 10:18PM

thanks everyone.
anuiyer7, it doesn't sem to be any particular fruit, as far as I can work out. I can't increase the veggies because she won't eat them!
Grayzie

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:12AM

You might try washing gently with a little hydrogen peroxide mixed in some warm water and use a paper towel or kleenex for each time after she eats. If you can get her to wipe her chin herself that might be the best way to get her to do it. It could be bacteria that is creating the rash from all that good juicy fruitsmiling smiley

Try adding some watery light greens to her fruit smoothies..the kids here love them..and I am able to use lettuces, celery, cuckes, spinach, parsley, cilantro, etc..

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables