Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Busting Through the Myths!
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:25AM

Are Goji Berries the be-all, end-all, in nutrition?

Is cacao the food of the gods?

I admit it. I'm gullible in my newness to the raw food lifestyle. I don't know what to believe. I know I will learn as I walk my own path in it, but I'd love to be able to see through the lies and the hype of authors and gurus! So, before I go out and buy a 50lb sack of flax, a year's emergency rations of cacao or move to Tibet to sleep under a Goji Berry Bush, I'd like to know what you folks think. Separating fact from fiction could help save a newbie a lot of time and money!

How do you distinguish between myths, opinions and facts in the raw food lifestyle?
And, in an effort to hold you to task here, what do you base your comments on regarding these myths, opinions and facts? I know you might just say, "That's just my opinion," but what do you base it on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Busting Through the Myths!
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:50AM

I think the best anyone can really do is try to figure out what works best for you personally. I bought a bag of cacao, and wasn't crazy about it. Not really surprising though, considering I was never much of a chocolate addict.

I like flax, the crackers are tasty, and often they give me a good substitute for other much less healthy things that might tempt me. Miracle food? I doubt it.

Before you run off to Tibet, you could always saunter over to the health food store and pick up a small bag of goji berries. See if you like them.

I'm sure all these things are good, but I don't quite believe in any one superfood. I think the best superfood is just a good combination of foods every day. It's human nature to wish for a "silver bullet", but good health is much more of a combination of things, and the spirulina which might be a miracle for you today might do nothing for you tomorrow.

I tend to be quite suspicious of big promises.

Sapphire

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 20, 2008 06:13AM

You could always try figuring out what the human body needs nutrition-wise and base your decision on what different foods provide.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 20, 2008 11:10AM

If the lifestyle/food gives way to more simplicity, freedom, health and joy....and I made a CONSCIOUS choice to eat the food because I thought it was the healthiest...then it's all good! It's pretty simply in my book. Confusion is impossible when you set YOUR goals....and keep them. It doesn't matter WHAT those goals are. The true fuel of the body (or anything else) is consciousness and awareness. Exercise THAT, and you'll be as healthy as you want....and really never confused.

-My personal experience/opinion: I've identifies fresh, unprocessed, plant foods (these days fruits) as being optimal for me. I make conscious choices every day to eat those foods - and thus reap health. Do you follow? As long as YOU make the choices....it won't matter...and YOU'll reap health. So: in my own case I avoid dried, frozen or otherwise processed items like Cacao, dried Goji berries, Algaes, supplements, etc.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:00PM

I love goji berries and cacao, I eat them everyday. They are by no means necessary, but they are great nutritious additions to your diet and add some variety.

(Disclaimer: I sell both goji berries and cacao on my website.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:12PM

I got a bag full of cacao and really don't know what to do with it. As for the claim of cacao for the gods, well I believe the aztecs used it and they did believe it was from the gods. It has a lot of things in it that are not so great for the body. I thought the aztecs used it for the warriers before battle. I have some goji berries and the ones I have don't taste real great to me. I am going to try them in a smoothie.
In my opinion the freshest is the best but the most super food I know of is fresh wheat grass juice. I believe it has a power punch that beats all. Sprouts are second on my list.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:12PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Disclaimer: I sell both goji berries and cacao on
> my website.)
>
> Rob

Yeah, well, users usually end up selling to support their habits.

smiling smiley Just kidding. I like cacao and goji too! But I don't *need* them, or always have them.

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 20, 2008 04:23PM

when starting raw, i went to trader joes and got almonds, some unsweetened dried fruits, raw cashews and a whole lot of organic produce. once i was raw for three weeks, i decided it was time to start investing in some serious raw food essentials and got a giant tin of cold pressed olive oil, a ton of almonds, raw honey and more items in bulk. in my opinion, start off small and see how it goes.

i too got on a ton of websites and started fantasizing about buying goji berries, nuts, seasonings, seeds, etc in bulk but then decided that a) my budget wasn't hanging with my decisions and b) that i wasn't a hundred % sure regarding how much i liked said items.

it's always better to start small. but no harm in buying a bunch of celtic sea salt, olive oil and maybe one kind of nut that you like. it's general saving.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables