Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Planting in Arizona
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:16PM

I'm posting this here because it seems to be a more active part of the board and nobody answered me in the gardening area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gonna start with a disclaimer, because I really know NOTHING about this. I gardened when I was going up in Chicago and planted lots of trees but it's SO different out here. The soil is weird and I can't seem to make things grow. I think I'm planting at the wrong time and basically not doing anything right!
I've planted a couple trees and other than the citrus they've all died. I want to plant a lot of fruit trees as I have a decent backyard for it and I love having free citrus right now, it really helps me with staying raw.
Does anyone know when the right time to plant is? There has to be some time of year where my poor baby trees won't freeze and won't burn and can get roots in a little to withstand the summer or winter.
Anyone in a desert climate? I would appreciate ANY gardening/planting tips you have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Planting in Arizona
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:11PM

Hey, I havn't posted since the old format a few years ago. But I've been following and learning from the great posts.

If I may try to answer your question, as someone who used to live in the Valley, and has almost always gardened (though I lived in apartments while there).

The best time of year to plant trees is late September to October in order to give the roots time to establish in time for next summer. Wrap the trunks if you expect a hard freeze. Keep the trunks painted white until the tree canopy can shade the trunk from burning.

[http://phoenix.about.com/od/monthlygardencalendar/Monthly_Desert_Garden_Calendar.htm]

A local nursery might have stock best suited to the low desert.

[http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/citrus.html]

The soil is generally considered fertile in the Valley but can be like cement in places...what's yours like?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2008 10:17PM by loeve.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 22, 2008 12:58AM

The best time of year to plant trees is in the fall a month or so before the first frosts arrive..It's also the best time to plant even if there are no frosts in the area that you live..

Check with the Arizona State Agricultural Extension Service as they would have the best ideas for you to plant fruit trees, get them to survive the first year (usually the toughest period of time), & allow them to thrive..

Go online to see if there is an organization in Arizona that is concerned with organic fruit growing, & see if they can give you any advice or help..

Some reasons that trees don't survive & or thrive are:

Planting at the wrong time of year--not digging a large enough hole for the tree's root system (bare root)(root ball)--not cutting open the fabric covering around a root ball, especially synthetic ones--making the soil in the hole too fertile--leaving the soil in the hole too loose--over watering--under watering--not mulching--allowing weeds or grasses to compete with the new tree's roots for nutrients & water--not staking the tree's trunk so that it can effectively resist strong winds--not collaring the trunk at ground level so that rodents can gnaw at the base of the young tree's trunk & damage it--picking the wrong species & or cultivar for your region / micro climate..

Local knowledge usually can't be beat for this type of problem solving..

Good luck

Bruce

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 22, 2008 02:00PM

"Check with the Arizona State Agricultural Extension Service" -yes

...or stop by -thanks to the "Where are you raw" thread.

You probably know ASU has lots of beautiful trees including citrus (look for the white painted trunks).

I lived in Scottsdale for one year then Tempe for four. Nice area!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables