Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Greens without the strong green smell
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 08:09PM

All,

I am trying to make 3 greem smoothies per week now and thisis the goal anyway... But here's the problem. I am not liking it. I am sort of forning myelf to try these because I know they are good for me and I want to try them.

Here's my question:

The taste of the green smoothie is fine with me - I make it sweet with lots of fruit.

But the green smell like I am eating my lawn is what I don't like now..

The only one I truly enjoy is cilantro smoothie, as I love that green.

I tried kale smoothie today and it smells like my lawn.

could you please tell me which greens smell less? Like spinach I like it is tasty and does not have a strong smell.

the other day I brought some mustard greens and I almost threw up - it was very strong green...

What else? what do you all like (that doesn't have the front lawn type of strong smell:-)

Take care
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greens without the strong green smell
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 25, 2008 08:26PM

Iceberg lettuce is the mildest, followed by romaine, bibb/boston, redleaf, and greenleaf.

I eat mostly lettuces for greens, but it takes a lot of them because they are mostly water.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:29PM

I can't breathe through my nose at all when I do shots of wheatgrass, UGH (and I have to do it in shots, else I'd never get it down).

I have to add lots of fruits to my green smoothies. With enough sweetness, aside from the color, you wouldn't even suspect the greens are there!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:32PM

mustard greens
i tried that once
in juice form

never tried it again
sulfuric power was overpowering

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:43PM

Oh, I can't do whaet grass like at all, I am so glad I am not teh only one. I Have to close my nose and just gulp it down and after that I still throw up. I don't drink wheat grass any more. I seem ok with spinach and cilantro o far.

Has any one tasted Dandelion greens? Are they ok? do they have the strng green smell? Like I said, taste is ok for me and the smell is the one that bothers me.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:45PM

Sometimes I don't want any of the crucifers because of that sulfur smell. It stinks us up, too, when we eat them. I can smell it on me. I can also smell it in the fridge.

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:23PM

Have you tried bok choy? I smell it, but not much.

Betty

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:06AM

Try adding a very small amount to your smoothies of those offending greens. Some greens are very strong and can be overpowering in many ways.

You can also add orange juice to your wheatgrass shot and have it mixed. I find wheatgrass so sweet tasting. I don't dislike it, but it's not my fav. taste and I always like having oj after the shot of wg.

Try some dandelion greens, just add 2-4 leaves of it into your smoothie..they are a great liver cleanser.

Beets are my least fav. as to my taste buds they taste like dirt. And yes..I do wash them before I add them..oh well for juicing..as I've never tried them in a green smoothie. Hmmm..I wonder if they would be better that way? I might try a small sliver of one sometime soon.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:41AM

if you like cilantro, you might like parsley too...

lately i've been doing lots of clover and alfalfa sprout smoothies, just because i'm sprouting up a storm and my supply is outstripping my demand (i need to use the stuff up!) those smell pretty mind i think. i made a cantalope-clover sprout smoothie that was pretty tasty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables