Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Next time somebody tells you your diet is extreme...
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 26, 2008 12:27AM

Just tell them about this:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Current scientific theories about nutrition and generally accepted common sense both indicate that a person who follows this practice in the long term would die of starvation or dehydration. Breatharians have seldom submitted themselves to medical testing, and currently there is no evidence to support their claims. In a handful of documented cases, individuals attempting breatharian fasting have died.

(No kidding!)

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next time somebody tells you your diet is extreme...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:51AM

you know, there have been several people on this board over the years who aspired to become breatharians over time. i wish i were kidding but i'm not.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:41AM

There is an inedia ebook called "Life Style Without Food", that says at one point:
----------------
When the body shows the signs of emaciation, that is:
• it is weak most of the time;
• it is getting thinner;
• it is losing weight (even if only 0,5 kg a week);
• your mood is getting worse or is bad most of the time;

this means its about the time to resume eating.
----------------

Not bad advice, really smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:36AM

I hear you. People like to debate what is 'possible'. As if there is ONE empirical standard for a person....or that they are just 'machines' tha that have ONE mechanistic/universal mode of 'perfect' operation. I just don't believe/observe this phenomena. In any event, it is up to each of us to be a shining example of pursuing our passions with intelligence, joy, passion, bliss, patience and acceptance of the consequences with responsibility. We do this....almost disconnected from the results. Because what people need to see...is an EXAMPLE of someone who is engaging in the PROCESS of following their dreams....even if the dream is regarded as empirically responsible.

On a personal rant (which does not include anyone in this post...or anyone I know personally): if people spent 1% of the time becoming a shining, joyful example of what THEY believe in....that they do finding critiques in what OTHERS are doing.....then THEY would be the 'gurus'! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 26, 2008 04:29PM

Everyone walks their own path. Obviously not all paths lead to health and wellness as shown by the number of people who are sick. I seek to find the truth in health and in life wherever that leads. So far I have found feeding the body with adequate natural raw foods to be a healthy practice.

Date: March 26, 2008 04:34PM

I personaly see nothing extreme about this at all....when someone is mentally and physically ready to do this then they are ready to do it, if your not ready for this stage of life it's going to be harder to understand or imaging yourself doing it, in the same way it's hard for me to imaging me swimming the channel but yet it's been done by others before me, so it is possible!

Just my two cents

Richard

Date: March 26, 2008 05:46PM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I personaly see nothing extreme about this at
> all

Seriously? I realize that people are trying to keep an open mind and be accepting of other's lifestyles, which is good, but I draw the line at starvation.

Not eating and drinking at all - not just for some set period - but as a lifestyle, is a Very Bad Idea. This is not veganism, raw foodism, fruitarianism, running an ultra marathon, running an iron man, or deaf and blind quadraplegics climbing Mt. Everest. It's ceasing from eating and drinking forever. No, I definately draw the line there.

-DaveK

Date: March 26, 2008 06:12PM

Ha! ha! I hear DaveK. It's just like anything else. There is a fairly wide difference between not choosing or approving of a lifestyle for myself, and telling others that a lifestyle is just wrong. I may not agree with what some one has to say or believe in, but (as long as they are truly happy and passionate) I don't feel that I need to tell them that their lifestyle is wrong. LOL. Just my thing.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:18PM

From what I understand of Breatharianism, there is a deep spiritual aspect to it and a belief that when shutting down the digestive part of the body, a different, deeper spiritual part begins to wake up/work.

I'm definitely not interested in trying it for myself at this point in my life, but I have no problem with others who try it. I think it would be fascinating to meet a Breatharian.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

Date: March 26, 2008 06:20PM

well, you might get to meet one in the afterlife. winking smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 26, 2008 08:57PM

We,humans,are living photocells which gain energy and nutrients from sunlight.
If our body (physical and emotional) is very clean,we don't need food or water,we can live from light (prana)
Plants have energy from the sun,and eating them we get that energy also.

I wish I were a breatharian.Must be wonderful.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:22PM

Yes, plants do get energy from the sun, but they also take in nutrients and water through their roots. If you left a seed on a rock in the sunlight without any water it probably wouldn't sprout...if it did, it probably wouldn't grow very much without water and nutrients.

Personally, even if it were possible, I wouldn't like to be a breatharian. There are so many wonderful flavors to enjoy for the short time that we get to inhabit these amazing bodies... I'll wait until i shed this form before i start the light-only diet.

edited to add: but when i consider the price of food on Maui, a breatharian diet might not be too bad!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 09:28PM by MauiGreg.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:24PM

Does anyone know any Breatharians that have been doing it for a few years ?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:44PM

Mony Vital is a breatharian for many years.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 26, 2008 09:48PM

"I'll wait until i shed this form before i start the light-only diet."

^^Me too! Not to knock anyone else's decisions, humans are capable of amazing things.

I don't recall his name, but I remember reading about some Breatharian professor guy of several years who just occasionally drank wine or coffee. THAT blew my mind even more than the Breatharian part. O.O

Date: March 26, 2008 10:07PM

I couldn't delete the post I posted, becuase it was something that turned out to have nothing to do with the topic we were discussing, so I'm just editing my post instead.

So

Hi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 10:17PM by Itzdavey.

Date: March 26, 2008 10:18PM

Although you certain CAN.....There's no need to 'discount' breatharianism. If you don't believe it...don't even give it another thought (positive or negative). Just start threads..and post to threads that you DO wish to pursue. I, personally, don't choose to be a mountain climber at this time. But I certainly wouldn't get on mountain-climbing sites and tell them how impossible or dangerous it is to climb remote, ice-laden peaks. Pursue YOUR passion - to participate in what you might regard as fallacious....even in discussion...helps no one. Just my opinions.

-David Z

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 26, 2008 10:40PM

i don't know D, i think this is a pretty valid thing to discuss seeing as how this diet/lifestyle tends to evolve to cleaner and cleaner living. there are certainly those who aspire to cease menstruating, eliminate all physically pleasurable pursuits (sex, material possessions, etc), those who wish to eat only fruit, those who wish to eat nothing stimulating. for sure, i think that looking at this to see if one beleives that it will eventually evolve into breatharianism is valid. even if it is to discount that as an option. when i first heard of eating all raw i said No Way! is that even possible, listed all the reasons why not, really looked them over and decided that sure, it could totally be done. i think this thread is the same thing, an outlandish idea that people are looking at to see if they think it's doable or not and why. just because it isn't something i want to do doesn't mean i don't want to discuss it and hear other people's ideas about it. i may only prove my own point to myself in the end but maybe not eh? you just never know...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 26, 2008 10:58PM

If "calorie restriction" (or having a clean body/hunger cycle that demands what most of us would view as "restricted"winking smiley seems WAY far away right now, I can only imagine how much further Breatharianism is beyond that. It definitely doesn't appeal to me now... But if we're all still here on the internet pushing our 150th birthdays, who knows? It is kind of like the ultimate in reserving metabolic reactions.

I also read somewhere about a guy who water fasted for 411 days. 411 days!! He's also trying to get people to study him, apparently. There's so much we don't know~

I would love to hear from people who are trying it. Or who feel the need to evolve into something like that... or masters. Whichever. I can only offer speculation and dumbfoundedness. =) In the same way, I could hang around a mountain-climbing site to hear interesting and inspiring stories.

Date: March 26, 2008 11:13PM

Sure. I hear you coco. I hope this discussion - or other ideas....lead you onwards towards YOUR passion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 27, 2008 12:56AM

for sure, that's what it's all about. sometimes i think about something i read here or said myself for days and days afterwards. it's like the evolving idea inside my head is changing me, myself, as it changes and grows. i am a pretty firmly opinionated person, i believe what i believe... but i am happy to change my mind when something different that i discover is a better fit, you know? and then i believe what i believe again until i find something that is more believable than that. my passion is simply this, to experience life. to think about things, hear new ideas, debate, share, grow. it's all good.

though i do think sometimes about that fact that many people who pursue raw have an eating disorder in their past and for them restriction, control, limiting, etc can be very dangerous ideas to play around with. in that regard some of the unrealistic ideas that get put forth are maybe a little irresponsible. not that anyone can be responsible for how another perceives thngs and how they then behave, just... you know, a level of consciousness about our effect on those around us. it's a lot to ask but there it is none the less.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: March 27, 2008 04:41AM

I have two opinions on this issue (not just breatharianism, but raw foodism et cetera):

A) I think any food practice (actually any practice period) is 'extreme' if you keep following it when it isn't working for you; and

cool smiley I have no patience for the 'food as spiritual practice' schools of thought. Personally, if I'm looking for something to believe in, the last place I look is inside the refrigerator. Even if it's empty.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:22AM

davidzanemason,

I agree with the essence of your personal rant - we should all spend more energy on demonstrating what we do works, rather than pointing out what others do perhaps does does not work.

When it comes to beliefs, I am finding for myself that believing in something is not it for me. In fact, I like the line from "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" which goes "I believe in everything; nothing is sacred, I believe in nothing; everything is sacred".

I am looking at disassembling my belief system, and discarding them, replacing belief with experience. I don't believe the raw vegan diet works for me, but my experience demonstrates to me that the raw vegan diet works for me.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 27, 2008 06:54AM

i totally agree with you seabucktho

Date: March 27, 2008 11:28AM

Yes. Exactly Bryan. Who we ARE, in essence, is not to be BELIEVED in...but rather taken experientially. You go there....and then you ARE there. winking smiley But YOU already know this...heh..heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables