Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Frozen Wheatgrass
Posted by: Juanita ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:37PM

I have just received my first order of frozen wheatgrass - it is in my freezer as we speak. I have been following a raw food program since February and am feeling great. I have no illnesses to speak of so I am wondering how much wheatgrass would be good to comsume a day. On the video they show putting 3 "cubes" of wheatgrass in water each day. Each cube is .56 oz and I have 12 packs of 12 to try - but as the stuff is very pricey I don't want to be gobbling it down if there is a basic amount for maintaining optimum health.

Any one out there know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frozen Wheatgrass
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 04:14PM

None is necessary (many people here never use it), so do what you feel is best and see how you feel afterwards. If you are consuming greens, you are already getting many of the nutrients that are found in wheatgrass.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 26, 2008 04:25PM

You may consider growing your own wheatgrass, it is not that difficult

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 26, 2008 05:55PM

i'd say use only 1 cube.
with all the other greens you
eat, you'll probably only need
the 1 cube.

just my 2 sense

Posted by: Juanita ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:54PM

I actually purchased a kit to grow my own wheatgrass but got very intimidated reading about the possibility of mold, bugs etc - I have the kit sitting there and have not used it. Do you grow wheatgrass Madinah?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:29AM

I have some Frozen Wheatgrass Juice in my freezer right now. I take 3 ounces of it at a time, always mixed with Carrot Juice. I prefer the Fresh and have 2 to 3 ounces of it diluted with a little Water as a serving, and always first thing in the morning.....WY

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:41AM

Juanita Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you grow wheatgrass Madinah?

I have. I was a commercial wheatgrass grower ten years ago and sold to Whole Foods Market as well as in farmers' markets around my county. It's so easy even for apartment dwellers with good sun exposure. Mold is due to a combination of over watering, over seeding, too much heat and no air circulation at the seed level. Mold can be water blasted down to the roots below where you cut the grass. If I were you I'd get some seeds, soil and a few trays. Fresh sweet juice can't compare to frozen although I've never had frozen wheatgrass juice.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 28, 2008 09:16PM

I currently use frozen wheatgrass and have been thinking about growing my own indoors. Do you have any suggestions?
Is it worth buying a kit from a healthfood store, and if so what should i look for?

Thanks
dc

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 29, 2008 12:46AM

Dynamic Greens? I use the same juice mostly cause of convenience and I like the taste. I have an order coming on Tuesday.smiling smiley

I'm not sure about the putting 3 cubes in water thing. Before finding them, I have always read to drink juices "undiluted" for maximum absorption. So for most of it that I drink I just pop a few cubes into a plastic ziplock bag and putting it in a bowl of water to dilute and drink. If it's completely under water, no chance of air hitting it to ruin it.

I know on their website and in "The WheatGrass Book" the average recommendation is 10oz a day. So yeah, that would get pricey. It's cheaper to grow your own and despite the mold concerns, there are still tons of testimonials of people who have had their health improved by growing it in trays. I usually do both. Frozen for convenience and the rare days I feel like juicing and growing I do my own.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 29, 2008 03:59PM

I bought a bunch of wheatgrass seeds from Amazon.com and 5 trays too,and I'm planting my wheatgrass in my kitchen.Soooooo easy !!!
Just put some soil on the tray and also the seeds,water it and cover for 2 days.After that uncover and water every other day.That's it!!!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 30, 2008 12:15AM

cy Wrote:
> I bought a bunch of wheatgrass seeds from
> Amazon.com and 5 trays too,and I'm planting my
> wheatgrass in my kitchen.Soooooo easy !!!
> Just put some soil on the tray and also the
> seeds,water it and cover for 2 days.After that
> uncover and water every other day.That's it!!!

Yeah, it's easy to grow. And cheap.. I can buy "wheatberries" at Whole Foods or a natural health food store for less than $1 a pound. But mold is the concern.

Is all the "nasuea" and "dizziness" most people (I've seen it on this forum) complain about really from "detox" or is it the mold like other sources suggest?

I know regular fruit/vegetable juice and fasting doesn't make me "nauseaus" so I find it hard to believe that "detoxing" with wheatgrass should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2008 12:16AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: March 30, 2008 02:13AM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> cy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I bought a bunch of wheatgrass seeds from
> > Amazon.com and 5 trays too,and I'm planting my
> > wheatgrass in my kitchen.Soooooo easy !!!
> > Just put some soil on the tray and also the
> > seeds,water it and cover for 2 days.After that
> > uncover and water every other day.That's it!!!
>
>
> Yeah, it's easy to grow. And cheap.. I can buy
> "wheatberries" at Whole Foods or a natural health
> food store for less than $1 a pound. But mold is
> the concern.
>
> Is all the "nasuea" and "dizziness" most people
> (I've seen it on this forum) complain about really
> from "detox" or is it the mold like other sources
> suggest?
>
> I know regular fruit/vegetable juice and fasting
> doesn't make me "nauseaus" so I find it hard to
> believe that "detoxing" with wheatgrass should.

I've felt nauseas on non moldy "sour" wheatgrass.
It was pre-cut, stored in a "green bag" in the fridge but starting to yellow.
The young sweet freshly cut stuff gives me a good warm glow tingle under my cheekbones.
Like I said, don't fear mold.
A small kitchen fan works wonders at minimizing it if you aim it at the seed height.
A garden hose can water blast it below where you cut it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2008 02:15AM by warm-glow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables