Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyine here eat chia seeds?
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 27, 2008 01:03PM

Does anyone here eat chia seeds? How do they taste? Are they organic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyine here eat chia seeds?
Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:17PM

Chia tastes like nothing. It is a hydrophilic seed and gets quite gelatinous when exposed to fluids. I get organic seeds from a health food store near where I live. I eat them pretty much every day. I have to start getting larger bags from a better supplier. They are really high in calcium and iron ... I think that they have boron too. I make a great raw jam with them.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: March 27, 2008 03:26PM

i eat them for a quick filling pudding. just soaked with raisins and agave syrup.x

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 27, 2008 04:39PM

I've never eaten them. Are they considered a grain? Does anyone have anything negative to say about them as far as being unhealthy for the body? I've been hearing about them more and more and it's making me curious.

Love,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:14PM

They are a seed, like hemp or sunflower or poppy seeds, not a grain. I like them.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 27, 2008 10:55PM

I believe that they have omega 3 and 6, better than flax seeds which has only omega 3.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 28, 2008 02:05AM

Cy: Flax seeds actually do have omega 6, though not as much as omega 3, you're right there. I'm no expert of course but from what I've read they offer the optimum balance of omegas 3, 6 and 9...moreso than either hemp or chia seeds.

"Flaxseeds have the highest alpha-linoleic acid (omega-3). They contain about 3 1/2 times as much omega-3 fatty acids as omega-6 fatty acids. Flaxseeds also provide abundant fiber, about 60% of which is soluble fiber (the type of fiber that is especially effective in helping control blood sugar levels and reducing blood cholesterol levels). It is also the richest known source of potassium, magnesium and boron. Other than salmon, Golden Flax Seed has nature's most perfect balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9."

Haven't tried chia yet but just adore the sweet/nutty flavor of hemp seeds.

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Date: March 28, 2008 12:56PM

"I make a great raw jam with them."

GorillaWar, this sounds really interesting... what is the recepi?

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: March 29, 2008 09:05AM

Fresh apple juice as the liquid to assist blending with black berries, raspberries and blueberries. I blend half the berries well (about a cup and a half) and the second half is only pulsed so it's still chunky. I add about 6 tablespoons of chia, mix not blend, and let it sit in the fridge for at least a half hour before eating. It's great over banana icecream. I occasionally make buckwheat-flax crackers and it's great on those with some raw almond butter. works well with strawberries but no apple juice, just a small amount of distilled water.

I like making things up. My partner wants me to write an uncook book.

Date: March 29, 2008 12:05PM

Thanx for the reply! Sounds very good!

If you that many recepis, I say go for it!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 29, 2008 03:55PM

Thanks Lanie,I didn't know that flax seeds had so much good stuff !!!

Go forward Gorillawar,make your book and tell us, please.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 29, 2008 11:46PM

You're very welcome Cy.

I didn't know ANYTHING about nutrition really until I started asking questions and looking into stuff myself. Can't trust labels either, I'm learning.

LOTS of good info and advice around here though...that's for sure!!

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2008 11:46PM by Lanie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables