Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

electrical gadgets.
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:28AM

Hello

I was musing on the dependence of electricity for our everyday lives.

Many people use blenders, juicers, dehydrators regularly.

How many people would be really inconvenienced if they for some reason could not use these gadgets?

do some of you use no electrical items at all, or would some of you like not to (similar to giving up the car for green issue)

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Philippa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: electrical gadgets.
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:41AM

I think they are tools like anything else. As long as you don't NEED them....and have a choice....then by all means use the technology! This is a personal choice. I use a little electric juicer to juice my oranges during the season. Beyond that - don't really use gadgets. I think, though, that are are far greater strides and choices a person can make to help out 'green wise'. Things like composting, recycling and limiting trash output. Things like investing in green companies and products. Things like being involved in your community so that green choices and initiatives are moving forward. Just my opinions.

-David Z. Msaon

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 31, 2008 12:32PM

The first two years of being raw I didn't use any electrical gadgets (the first year I lived without electricity).

Now I use my blender everyday, but I know I could go back to the old way if I wanted (using a hand mincer instead of a food processor and a hand grinder for grinding seeds.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 31, 2008 12:51PM

My use of electrical gadgets has slowly and steadily been declining. At present I only use gadgets for about 20 percent of my eating. Almost all of my food is eaten either as is or using a knife & cutting board. One gadget food that I am consistent in making daily is to VM blend a very green smoothie. The amount of fruit I eat has been increasing steadily over time and is by far the largest percentage of my diet by bulk.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 31, 2008 01:17PM

I went my first 5 years raw without "any" electrical gadgets. No problems for me, but that's me. I did eventually buy some though and like them occasionally for fun. If anything, I would say a good blender such as a vita-mix would be my first choice for anything. Even looking back I think I would have appreciated it in the beginning if I did have it.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 31, 2008 02:15PM

I use a juicer usually daily and about once/twice a week my Vita-Mix for dressings and other miscellaneous and maybe once a week for my food processor.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 31, 2008 06:44PM

If I use my blender, it's for a treat.

My technology is a knife and a cutting board. If I want to juice citrus fruits, I have one of those little $5 by-hand juicers from the supermarket.

I'm looking in to getting a bike for the summer--my workplace is only 5 minutes away (driving) and gas is supposed to skyrocket soon anyway. =\ It's too cold for me to go by foot to work in the winters, though.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:47PM

Posted by: phantom (IP Logged)
Date: March 31, 2008 09:44AM

I'm looking in to getting a bike for the summer--my workplace is only 5 minutes away (driving) and gas is supposed to skyrocket soon

I have a car and a bike and I appreciate each of them for their respective uses but its the bike I like to use when I can. I have a 21 speed (3x7) city bike with a luggage rack on the back. I just got back from riding to an Asian market about 4 blocks away where I bought a case of mangos (16) which I put on the luggage rack and tied down with bungee chords. I just love getting out and riding my bike. :=)

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: March 31, 2008 09:04PM

I live in a place not connected to the grid. So our electricity comes from the solar panels. The only electrical stuff in the house are lights, computer, stereo, laundry, and power tools for building. Foodwise, nothing. The green juicer is manual. Living out of the grid, you learn to save.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 31, 2008 10:19PM

whee, i am in love with your post there sgc. totally love it.

we are using a blender in the morning for quick breakfast smoothies for the little man before school. sometimes i use an electric citrus juicer because the manual one hurts my wrists if i'm making lots of juice. very infrequent use of the juicer or food processor. i can live without all that stuff, in fact i hardly ever even use the manual gadgets. why bother? a knife and cutting board do it all.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:35PM

i use my vitamix daily, but no electric juicer (manual citrus only), no dehydrator, no food processor. i have a manual spiralizer that i like a lot. i like the items i have, but i am not attached. you could take everything away from me... blender, spiralizer, manual citrus juicer, knife and cutting board... and i would still joyfully eat RAW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables