Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Raw Recipe Books
Posted by: javacado ()
Date: March 31, 2008 06:51PM

What are the best raw recipe books out there? Anyone have any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Recipe Books
Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: April 01, 2008 02:09AM

Although she uses too much nuts, still one of the best and complication free book is Ani Phyo`s. Ani`s raw food kitchen is the title. Especially if someone is new in raw these recipes are tasty, easy and some of them are really good for substituting foods that hard to say good by like burgers. I simply try to alter the ratio of nuts and veggies to have less fat in some recipes.

Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: April 01, 2008 02:40PM

My three favourite in order are:

1. Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. Her recipes only require a blender and a food processor, so are very quick to make. Her recipes are very tasty too.

2. RAWvolution by Matt Amsden. A little more complicated, but a very nice format, plus he has coloured pictures to show you how the recipe is supposed to look.

3. The Raw 50 by Carol Alt. The recipes in this book come from a variety of chefs. You have 10 recipes each for: breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and drinks.

You could check your local library if you want to try some of the recipes in these books before committing to purchasing them.

Hope this helps!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 01, 2008 02:59PM

gosh, there are so many recipes online, why would anyone ever purchase a cookbook? and its so convenient to just google what you want to make and come up with ten different recipes to compare and get ideas from! (ex: let's see, i've got a bunch of beets here, how about "raw foods recipe borscht"winking smiley

when i first went raw i went to the library and borrowed every book on raw foods i could find, thinking that if i found one i really liked i could buy it. i learned a lot but i didn't buy any. i didn't own any raw food books for 6 months. then i was gifted juliano's raw and alissa cohen's living on live food. i tried a few of their recipes, and by then they were just way too heavy for me (lots of oil, lots of nuts, etc.). but the juliano book is fun to look at the pictures...

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 01, 2008 04:16PM

I've always enjoyed cookbooks more than web searching for recipes, but it's a matter of personal taste.

I like several raw food cookbooks, but my favorite is probably currently "The Raw Transformation". It has more recipes than most raw food cookbooks, and is is not as dominated by nuts and other fats.

"Raw Food, Real World", "Rawvolution", and "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" are all personality-driven books. Each has some amazing recipes. All three tend use too much fat and salt. For serving nice dinners to SAD eaters, "Raw Food, Real World" has some tough-to-beat recipes. My favorite salad dressing is RawVolution's mayonnaise.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: April 01, 2008 04:57PM

maui_butterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gosh, there are so many recipes online, why would
> anyone ever purchase a cookbook?

Just a matter of preference. I love to read and I LOVE BOOKS!!! I always have since I was a kid. It's nice to have the recipe books with the photos and sometimes I just don't feel like being on-line looking for a recipe. It brings me joy to see my book with fingerprints, food stains, post it notes of favorites and bent corners. I think it's great that we have many avenues to find what works best for us - those who like to download and those who like to hold the book in hand. Now the big test for me is to get rid of my old cookbooks. (sneaks a peak at bookshelf)

my favs thus far:

Alissa Cohen's Living on Live Food
Matt Amsden's Rawvolution (some dishes are too salty and fatty, but I just add less)
Terces Englehart's Cafe Gratitude prep book

these are the ones I usually grab to make gourmet raw stuff, although I do have a bunch more in the collection

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2008 05:00PM by rawangel.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: April 01, 2008 05:14PM

I know this isn't a cookbook, but it does one thing that I love - the recipes are tried and commented on and rated by people, so you get an idea before you try. Plus, there are usually pictures and there are so many...

Try this out: RAW RECIPES

Good luck!

Sapphire

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 01, 2008 06:23PM

Sapphire, that site is amazing--I was just using a recipe from there yesterday. :-)

My favorite book that helped my family get into eating raw foods is Matt Amsden's Rawvolution. The foods aren't good for long term eating, but they sure taste great and make it easy to eat raw foods.

Now, I'm interested in low fat meals. I haven't found a book that includes low fat raw vegan foods, yet.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXO

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 01, 2008 07:25PM

As a cookbook junkie and former chef-every-night (especially when I had a significant other to cook for), I totally understand wanting books, having 250+ of them myself (most vegan, some raw).

My favorites (one being lent out right now) are The Complete Book of Raw Food, The Raw Transformation, Raw Food Real World, and Rawvolution. Also, Raw, No Meat No Heat has good recipes.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 02, 2008 02:44AM

Wendi,

Check out The New High Energy Diet Recipe Guide. I have the old one, and I've just ordered the new one. The new one is oriented towards 80/10/10.

Date: April 02, 2008 02:59AM

Thanks, Bryan! If the recipes are tasty, it might be exactly what I'm looking for!

*HUGS*

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 03, 2008 01:11AM

thanks everyone! i do love books, so i would rather collect raw food books than download. something about thumbing through the pages and looking at the photos!

Date: April 03, 2008 02:38AM

Wendi,

I'll let you know what I think of the recipes in the new High Energy Diet Recipe Guide when I get the book.

Date: April 03, 2008 02:56AM

Thanks, Bryan! I'd love to hear your opinion. :-)

It would be nice if Dr. Graham posted the contents for the book, so we can get a general idea of what's included.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 05, 2008 04:53PM

I like Natalie Rose's raw detox diet

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:12PM

Posted by: javacado (IP Logged)
Date: March 31, 2008 11:51AM

What are the best raw recipe books out there? Anyone have any recommendations?

I just got Karen Knowler's latest newsletter and in she says that she is moving away from recipes and moving toward simple fresh raw foods. I agree with her new approach to eating raw and throwing out the recipe books and eating simple fresh raw foods works the best for me. Listen to your body its your best raw food coach.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:07PM

Juliano's book is expensive and most of the recipes have very long and sometimes exotic ingredients lists. His recipes sometimes take a very long time to prepare and contain a lot of fat. You do NOT need to pour OIL into guacamole! Yuck!"

I like Graham's "High Energy Recipe Guide." He includes fat content for every recipe.

I don't own the other books people have mentioned but have seen them at my local bookstore. I'm in the coveting but not ready to buy phase. smiling smiley

The site Sapphire recommends is very good and best of all... it's free! Can't beat that.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:48PM

I love the pictures in Juliano's book but would never make anything as listed. 80/10/10 proponents often say gourmet raw is 60% fat by calories--I would be *surprised* if his book was that low! You could use the photos as inspiration though smiling smiley Like a raw stir fry with lots of colorful veggies, (oil-free) guac, etc.

Date: April 06, 2008 01:40AM

I have Juliano's book and have never even made one recipe from it. I often think about trying to return it, since it's essentially never been used. :-P

Date: April 06, 2008 06:06PM

Funny to hear Juliano's book being talked about this way - it is the ONE raw book I own and I bought it about 5 years ago!!!! I wasn't even raw then and I bought it kind of as a novelty thing or something. It really intrigued me. Anyway, I have never once made anything in it. However, I do love the pics and using them as inspiration. I am basically just creating dishes as I go. This is what I have mostly done with food my whole life. I own probably 20 cookbooks (with the Juliano being the only RAW book). This weekend I have spent an obscene amount of time online watching You Tube videos of David Wolfe, and some others talking about superfoods, fruits, etc. Learning a whole lot and really wanting to buy lots of new things I've never tried. I think I will buy one or 2 of the books that were mentioned numerous times and keep checking out the websites for now.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 07, 2008 08:16PM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 80/10/10 proponents
> often say gourmet raw is 60% fat by calories--I
> would be *surprised* if his book was that low!

hahahaha... agreed! i got the book as a gift, and i love looking at it, but the one thing i made from it, his house salad dressing, had 1/4 cup of olive oil per serving!!!! can you imagine? it tastes great, and i made 4 servings stretch out over 7 days, but eating it made me feel nasty. and he says in the book that some people come into his restaurant and order that dressing as a soup! what is that, like two cups of oil at least??? crazyness!

but, i like watching juliano on youtube. he's so energetic and passionate and doesn't censor himself at all -- so he says some pretty dumb stuff, but some really cool stuff too. i like his energy. but seriously, how does the guy stay so skinny and "cook" the way he does?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 08, 2008 01:43AM

Posted by: maui_butterfly (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2008 01:16PM

how does the guy stay so skinny and "cook" the way he does?

My guess is that the gourmet food is for his book and restaurant and that he actually eats more like the rest of us raw fooders eat. I think a person's physical looks are a reflection of how they eat.

Date: April 08, 2008 01:47AM

Sapphire,

Thanks for that link! It's awesome! I have printed some recipes I want to try. A seaweed salad, a couple of squash soups, nori rolls, and a brazilian soup!

Java

Date: April 11, 2008 06:29AM

Well, my copy of the New High Energy Diet Recipe Guide came in the mail recently. The recipes in the both the old and new book are excellent. The general format of the guide is that when you open up a page, the left page has 2-3 recipes and typically a color photo, and the right page as a diet tip and the caloric breakdown of the recipes on the left page. The guide uses glossy paper, which makes for great color photos (the old guide only had photos on the inside covers).

I've tried and enjoyed many of the recipes in the old guide, and I haven't had a chance yet to try some of the new recipes.

There are a few things that worked better in the old guide though. The old guide is spiral bound, which means the book lays flat on your table if you are using it to prepare a dish. Also, the old guide gave ingredients in volume or piece measures (like 1/2 cup blueberries or a head of lettuce) where as the new guide gives ingredients in weigh measures (like 4 ounces or 1 pound). The weight measure made it possible to have an accurate caloric breakdown, but at the expense of making it harder to make each recipe, as now you have to have a scale to get the recipe right.

The glossy paper and pictures, plus the modern page layout using modern computer software makes the book look so much more appealing than the old guide and will appeal to people's sense of aesthetics.

Date: April 11, 2008 11:51AM

Thanks so much, Bryan! In the 80/10/10 book I noticed a lot of recipes go by the weight of the produce. I have an antique scale that may not be very accurate, but I can probably use it for the recipes. I love that the book has a lot of color photos of the foods. That really does make a recipe book more appealing to me. I think that's one of the reasons I loved Rawvolution when I was first going raw--you get to see what each dish looks like when it's completed.

Thanks, again! I'm going to order it. :-) After doing this mono meal eating, as much as I know I'll go back to eating nuts and seeds, oil and avocados, I'm ready to eat closer to 80/10/10.

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 11, 2008 12:43PM

I love using the weights of food and am frustrated that I can't enter things into fitday or nutridiary by the lb or ounces. Sometimes I can do oz, but the caloric/nutritional information is not correct when I do. Either way, I love the 80/10/10 stuff AND love inputting it all in to see exactly what nutrients I am missing, how to get them, and what I AM getting!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 11, 2008 12:46PM

I think I am going to order the cookbook too Bryan! Thanks for the update - how is your 80-10-10 journey going? (Not to highjack this thread, if you don't want to post here maybe you could post about it in the other 80-10-10 thread?) I would love to know how things are going!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:43PM

I tend to agree about Juliano's book. I gave it away. It did have a few good recipes that I tried.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: April 11, 2008 04:11PM

Please don't call them "cook books".
Cook books are for SAD people.
:-)

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: April 11, 2008 07:03PM

LOL

I constantly make that mistake - calling them all cookbooks, when so many of my recipe books are RAW!! Have to keep correcting myself! I still say I am cooking my dinner too, even though nothing gets actually heated! Old habits!

This thread got me - now I have gone and ordered the 80/10/10 recipe book - and I had promised myself not to get any more, I have enough already.

Hello, my name is Sapphire, and I am a recipe addict.......

This is the LAST time!! I have to resist ordering recipe books all the time!! The crazy thing is that someday I hope to be so good at raw that all I need are the 80/10/10 guidelines, and in that case, I won't even need any of these recipe books! (well, maybe this new one - can't wait to get it!!)

Have a great day!

Sapphire

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables