Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

passion fruit
Posted by: mindy_r ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:15PM

hi everyone,

i was just at the grocery store the other day and i was looking at the "exotic" fruit section and found something that i thought looked like a chocolate sapote. seeing everyone talk about them really made me want to try one!! so, anyway, i bought it and it turns out that it is a passion fruit. i have not ever bought one before (or even tried one!) and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what i can do with it? are they good to just eat on their own? should i put it in a smoothie? any suggestions would be great!

thanks for your time,

have a great day,

mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: passion fruit
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:54PM

i just slurp those things up, but they are great in smoothies. my favorite way to eat them is to take half a papaya, remove the seeds, scoop the passionfruit into the papaya boat, and squeeze lime over the whole thing. YUM!

FYI you want to wait until the passionfruit turns UGLY, starts to get all wrinkly and brown, before you eat it. its not ripe when its all firm and pretty and yellow/green.

they are called lilikoi in hawaii.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:22PM

They are yummy but tart, so I like them with other fruit is green smoothies.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:26PM

I mix them with frozen pineapple chunks in my Vita-mix and make a sorbet....yum.

They've just gone out of season here in Hawaii.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 31, 2008 10:05PM

you can blend the seeds with water and honey in the vitamix,in a normal blender you have to strain the seeds.It will calm you down a lot.Passion fruit is very good to calm you down.

Date: April 01, 2008 01:40AM

thanks guys!

i will have to wait a little longer to try it, i think. it is brown but not wrinkly yet winking smiley

i think that the calm you down effect will be good too.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 01, 2008 03:06AM

HA! I saw them for the first time at Whole Foods yesterday. I was admiring the firm and purple ones (these were a purple kind), and I did spot a few ugly ones, immediately thinking, "OMG WTF Who would pay $209382304830934.99 + Whole Foods tax for THAT?!"

I'll wait until they appear at the Asian markets for much cheaper before I try one.

They are strange and wrinkley!

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: April 01, 2008 09:40AM

i can't beleive you haven't tried the before! I LOVE them. I cut them in half and teaspoon it out. You don't have to wait until they are wrinkly. yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: April 01, 2008 11:07AM

hundreds of them grew in our back yard when i was a kid. i'd collect them all, halve them and slurp them out. yum...

Date: April 01, 2008 11:15AM

yum! the idea of being able to "slurp" them out really sounds good! sounds really yummy and juicy! i am going to try mine later today

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables