Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Physical exam and blood tests
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:19PM

Hi all,

I have a physical (annual) exam and all kindsof blood tests - like Thyroid, cholesterol etc scheduled for Friday at 9:00. I am kind of nervous. I have been raw for one yea now (about 80% Raw) and this is the first time after going raw that I go for these exams.

Is there anything specific I need to ask the doctor?
Before they "read" the blood test results, should I tell the doc that I am raw vegan? Will that influence the way they read test results - I mean is there some different range of nomal values for B12 etc for vegans than SAD eaters?

Take care
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Physical exam and blood tests
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:24PM

Telling the doctor about being raw will usually get a confused or at times a concerned if not anti-raw response. But, on the other hand it shouldn't be ignored if necessary. I wouldn't depend on your doctors opinion in this area unless he is informed, which I never met one who was.

In my experiences, doctors and raw foods don't mix anyhow. :O)

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 31, 2008 07:51PM

i personally wouldn't tell the doctor anything special in advance. and i wouldn't mention the raw vegan thing either. my allopathic doctor never asks me anything about my diet, which i find hilarious. (i only go for regular checkups covered by my insurance.) if she WERE to ask me any questions about my diet, i would merely state that i eat a very healthy whole foods diet of mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, and no processed foods.

IF my bloodwork or test results showed dis-ease, i MIGHT discuss my diet with my allopathic doctor IF i trusted her and thought she would be able to offer me some insight that would be in line with how I would choose to approach a solution. If I thought she was just going to tell me to eat meat and take drugs, I wouldn't allow that kind of confusion or doubt to enter the picture.

just my approach.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:23PM

I would want vitamins D and B-12 checked. But I would maybe just say I was vegetarian.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 31, 2008 08:32PM

I have found the doctors opinion on raw food is very negative. I would just tell them I eat mostly vegitables and fruit and no processed foods. Don't be discouraged by your blood work results if you are looking for a specific change and it is not there. Good for you to get a check up though.

Posted by: Lejla ()
Date: April 01, 2008 01:59AM

My Mom ( Who is into raw eating with me) had blood test not long time ago. I told her that I read in one book that raw foodist usually have low white blood count which is good sign, because the body`s system does not have to deal with an ongoing mini emergency situation after every cooked food meal. I did not mention anything to the doctor only when he saw the result he told us that the white blood cell number is low but it`s still ok, and then I just told him that as far as I know, it is common with raw-fooders. He just nodded -Oh really? and that was it.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 01, 2008 02:20AM

I would just expect good results, provided you eat a balanced diet.

Maybe, if you feel like asking for certain things to be tested - zinc levels and b12.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 01, 2008 12:15PM

I told my doctor that I was mainly raw and said I expect you don't approve and he took the wind out of my sails by saying that he didn't disaprove of anything if it works for that person and that he would only be concerned if that person was making themselves ill.

I KNOW I shouldn't have said that I expected he wouldn't approve - it was early days for me then and I wasn't very confident myself.

Date: April 01, 2008 01:34PM

Another common response is when anything seems amiss, they tend to blame the diet, if they are aware you are eating less typical than others. If you find a doctor that accepts and understands, stick with him or her :O)

Date: April 01, 2008 02:03PM

I've had many blood tests and physical exams and I've always folwn through perfectly, I don't feel I need to tell anybody what I'm doing because I've no fears about being Fruitarian.....

Richard

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: April 01, 2008 05:37PM

I went to a workshop put on by a local naturopath a few weeks ago, and he started talking about diet. A lot of what he had to say was great - organic vs non-organic, for instance, but I asked him to comment on the raw food diet.

His response was that it was very bad for the digestion. So I dropped the subject. I do not like to debate this with anyone.

But it is interesting that a naturopathic doctor would be this negative. If this is the best I can expect, I would think a regular medical doctor would be even less receptive, but you never know.

Sapphire

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 01, 2008 06:20PM

I've been documenting my raw journey with blood tests. I should see the doctor again, soon, to get another set of results to compare again. It's amazing to watch your health increase and see the proof in your blood test results.

I'd definitely recommend getting the B12 test done. Even if you aren't low in it, it's a marker for future tests after you've been raw for a longer time. I'm thinking the next time I go I'm going to ask for a check on magnesium and zinc, as well, since I've read lately that those two are usually low in raw foodists.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXO

Date: April 02, 2008 04:05PM

All,

Many Thanks. I will ask about B12 and zinc and also Mag. It is very interesting how I get so nervous about this now, but when I was eating all kinds of junk, I never even thought about this. I hope the tests come out ok and all is well and ok.

Also, I do NOT want to take supplements, the doctor when I saw her last time said as I stopped milk and all milk products, I have to take citracal (Calcium and Vitamin D) and I never did that. So I am nervous about that also. I am scared that she will remember that and ask me:-)

Take care
A Iyer

Date: April 04, 2008 07:40PM

I had my physical and blood tests today. I will get teh Results in about one week or so I guess... I am a little nervous abiut few things:
1. I am hypothyroid and was on medication, after switching to raw, I "felt"naturally that I had to stop the medication. They are checking the levels and I am not sure what they will say.. I am scared they may ask me to take the medicine. I do NOT want to..

2. Calcium and B12 aupplement: The doctor recommended that I take these and I have NOT. I am nervous what will show up in the tests.

I will let you all know when the res comes back.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 04, 2008 07:50PM

what does it mean when people say "i am hypothyroid"? is that the same as saying "I have hypothyroidism"?

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 04, 2008 07:52PM

you don't have to be afraid, and i'm not saying whether you will or will not be deficient in calcium or B12 (or anything else for that matter). all i'm saying is you shouldn't feel like a scared child who disobeyed an authority figure. that should not be your relationship with your doctor. take 100% responsibility for your health. your doctor advised you to take supplements, you decided not to (and you are well within your rights to do so! its YOUR body, anything anyone tells you to do is ADVICE that you filter through your own experience and do with what you like, and your decisions should be respected -- most especially by YOU), and the results will be the results and you will act accordingly. don't be attached to them, or scared of them, simply be INTERESTED in them.

let us know! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2008 08:45PM

tanawana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another common response is when anything seems
> amiss, they tend to blame the diet, if they are
> aware you are eating less typical than others.

this i find incredible as they never bother to ask you what you're eating when you go in and tell them this or that is hurting or whatever. and they never talk to you about diet in terms of health and prevention. in fact, the only time most doctors hint at anything diet related is when You bring it up and tell them you don't eat dead cows or drink their udder squeezings and then they act like you are insane. it's amazing that they have no interest in food and how it affects health unless you are deviating from the cheetos and diet coke diet, and Then they get interested.

the thing about stress is that it's way worse for your health than anything else and here you are stressing out about test results that haven't even come back yet. how about you just relax unless and until there is something to be concerned about and Then address it. you might find that you spent a week plus worrying for nothing when your tests results come back perfect smiling smiley

Date: April 04, 2008 08:51PM

True coco. Doctors never seem to bring up diet unless the patient does first. That was my point basically. Once they know you have chosen a different path, it's the built in excuse when they don't have the answer, which is often.

I have sworn off doctors myself, even natural approach oriented doctors have an agenda I have found out most times. Sigh, I suggest, as well as follow - be your own doctor. :O)

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 06, 2008 01:52AM

I agree about doctors and not asking about your diet. But, the exception was when I was pregnant. The OB/GYNs asked if I was drinking enough milk, eating enough eggs and meat, etc. I should have just told them, "Yes, of course." But, I told them I don't drink or eat those things. Well, after that it was a never ending battle. My husband used to squeeze my hand or lightly kick me with his foot (asking me to please not stir up any trouble) when I started questioning the doctor about any nutrition classes he had taken.

I had a strong inner voice while I was pregnant that told me what I needed to be doing for my baby. She was born very healthy, is extremely intelligent, and oh...so, so beautiful at almost 13 years old!

It's my opinion that doctors have been given too much of a pedestal to sit upon and we have lost our ability to hear our inner voices. I hope you'll take your test results, anuiyer7, and do what you feel is right for yourself to obtain the health you are looking for.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 06, 2008 02:25AM

Yeah definitley don't tell them about "raw". Vegan and Vegetarian isn't so bad because it's common so they might want to check your B12 or whatever.

You'll never hear the end of raw. Every little thing you might complain of might get blamed on that or a "Deficiency", if you're overweight and are losing weight they'll tell you you're losing muscle and too fast. If you're think they'll tell you you're too skinny or something and say you have an Eating Disorder. lol No win situation.

Date: April 07, 2008 04:43PM

I went for the appointment and I told the doc that I am vegan. She said nothing. I told her I eat greens etc for calcium and she said good. Thats it. No advise, no lecture nothingsmiling smiley)

Then they called me today and left a message that my blood test is back and all is normal. But I did not speak to her and see what the calcium, b12, iron values are and also about my thyroid TSH levels.
I left a message and asked her to call me with the actual reading frm the test, and I will let you all know when I hear from them.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 07, 2008 05:25PM

Ask for a hardcopy and any help with explainations also. Or to fax the whole thing to you maybe.

It should be interesting to read the results.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 08, 2008 03:19PM

They called me and were able to read some of the results to me. But some she was not able to open due to some problem in teh computer, so she will mail everything.

TSH : 4.068 (in the normal range - I have stopped Thyroid medication for about 10 months now)

Blood count: 14.1 (normal - she said it has to be between 12 and 16)

Cholesterol: (she said she wants to live with me for one year as the level I have are enviable)
Good: 47 (has to be between 40 and 59)
Bad: 67 (has to be <99)

She said my calcium and B12 levels are nomal she couldn't open the screen to read me the numbers and the actual levels.

I will get a letter with all the details next week.

Thanks.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 03:20PM

Great! Good to know the results of your tests! Thanks for sharing.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:27PM

Your TSH is a little high, my Doc use to wig out/force
me on Meds when my TSH was only 1.746 and the
normal range is between .350 - 3.00 level.
I started eating Dulse seaweed and my blood level for
TSH is now .856.

I could be wrong but your Doc sure is nice to let
you off @ a 4. level TSH

Just search the net for the TSH range...

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: April 08, 2008 08:31PM

btw: if anyone doesn't know TSH means
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)

Date: April 08, 2008 09:48PM

rawdev,

I thought the same thing also. I thought 4 was on the high end as well. Can you please tell me where to get dulse seaweed and how to eat this (like add to smoothies or eat just like that)?

Many Thanks for your help.

Take care
A Iyer

Date: April 09, 2008 09:29PM

There's two places I will get my herbs from and they
are:
www.starwest-botanicals.com
[http://www.starwest-botanicals.com]
&
www.frontiercoop.com
[http://www.frontiercoop.com] must be doing something
because I can't get the link to show

I mostly use frontier herbs and
you can order the regular herbs (cheaper/cost
less) or organic herbs. I always get Organic
because I don't have to worry about the
added stuff in Dulse or Kelp seaweed thats
coming from the ocean.
Kelp will bring/help regulate your Thyroid just
like Dulse, I just like Dulse (flavor wise) more.

One tablespoon of Dulse in my smoothie for 3 months
brought my TSH to where it is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2008 09:41PM by rawdev.

Date: April 09, 2008 09:40PM

rawdev,

Thanks so much. Is this the one

[www.frontiercoop.com]

I just wanna be sure before I order... also it is pricy so I really wnt to be sure I am getting teh right one.

Thanks for your help.

Question: after three months did you stop taking this dulse seaweed? if yes, did your thyroid TSH level maintain or do you have to keep taking this?

Take care
A Iyer

Date: April 09, 2008 09:49PM

Yeah, it's Frontiercoop.com and like I said
before I know Organic is more costly but
again it has to be pure or it wouldn't have the
USDA Organic backing/label.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables