Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Going to Mono Eat for Nine Days
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 01, 2008 06:07PM

Starting this coming Sunday evening, I'm going to mono eat for nine days. But, I'm thinking I want to eat a different food each of the nine days. Any recommendations for fruits/veggies that are easy to eat mono? The first things that come to my mind are bananas, oranges, celery, romaine. After that, nothing is jumping out at me.

Is there an order that I should follow when eating nine different fruits/veggies that will be best for cleansing my body?

Thanks for any advice.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi Dee
XOXO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going to Mono Eat for Nine Days
Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: April 01, 2008 06:23PM

please keep us updated...i would like to try to do that for a couple of days as well depending on how it works out for you.
nadia

Date: April 01, 2008 06:24PM

also, what about carrots/apples or sugar snap peas?

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: April 01, 2008 06:46PM

why 9 days specifically?

Posted by: claire ()
Date: April 01, 2008 07:34PM

How about melon?

Reckon I could eat honeydew all day for a month!!!

I would also be interested to hear about your progess smiling smiley

Date: April 01, 2008 07:49PM

Rawtastic, I'm doing the mono eating during the Hindu Spring Navratri (April 6-15). It's traditionally a time of fasting, but most people don't fast anymore--they just try to pay a little more attention to their diets. I'll start in the evening on the 6th and end in the evening on the 15th.

I'm sure this will give me some sort of benefit, since I'm currently still consuming a lot of fats each day. Mono eating will eliminate that (unless I mono on avocados LOL).

Carrots aren't a favorite of mine, so I can't imagine eating them for an entire day. Apples are okay, during the autumn. But, I wouldn't be opposed to doing an apple day. I think a sugar snap pea day would be a bit difficult and I'd be wishing to eat something in addition to the peas. I'm not sure on that one. As for melon, I'm in Pittsburgh and I'm not sure if I can find enough organic melons for a mono meal day. If I can, I think I'd like a cantaloupe day. I'm most likely going to have a day of bananas, since I can easily see doing a day with only bananas and loving it.

I'd really love some suggestions for fruits/veggies to eat in a specific order. You know, like eat only this for one day since it cleanses the liver, then follow that with this for your kidneys, etc. But, I don't want to make it difficult by eating something I don't truly enjoy eating, you know?

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 01, 2008 08:13PM

GypsyArdor:

-My opinion is that you don't HAVE to eat organic to receive 99% of the benefit you would receive from eating healthy...especially if you are mono-eating. That said, melons DO make a great filling meal. Other things like papaya & pineapple also make great meals. You can mono eat a few avocados....or 4 apples in a sitting (which is a lot!)...or 3 or 4 fresh oranges. Power and success to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 01, 2008 09:30PM

what about grapes? edgar cayce commonly recommended apples only and grapes only for healing regimens.

i noticed mangoes are coming back into season, at least here in hawaii. that would be fun!

dreaming here: if it were me i would start with day 1 all coconut water...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 02, 2008 02:24AM

^Coconut water mono/fast/whatever was the YUMMIEST and most wonderful cleanse I did! (Got to do it again for longer...)

Date: April 02, 2008 02:28AM

Thanks for all of the comments, so far!

Okay, I have a six definites for my nine days:

bananas
oranges
pineapple
apples
grapes
celery

That leaves three more fruits and/or veggies to choose. I would like to do a cantaloupe day, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find any at the food co op next week. I might want to do a romaine lettuce day, but I'm not positive. Right now I'm thinking after so many days of fruits, I might crave something nonsweet. Ooh!!! Just typing that made me realize I can add cucumbers to my list!

cucumbers

Now I'm wondering if I'd like a day of tomatoes, or not. I'm thinking I don't want to use salt on this nine days of mono eating, otherwise I'd definitely add tomatoes. I guess I need to still think about the last two foods to add.

I'm going to be starting at dinner time on Sunday, so the next day breakfast and lunch would be the same item I ate for dinner the prior evening. This will give me a bit of variety during the day, yet still be 24 hours with only one item (if that makes sense).

Any other suggestions for the final two items I can add to my list? I wish I lived in a warmer climate where there are more items available. I would love a berry day. They are hard to get fresh here in Pittsburgh--they usually have mold on them and they are too old/icky. Frozen berries probably isn't a good idea, either.

Thanks for all of the help and support!

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 02, 2008 02:33AM

Hi Phantom,

I actually consumed large amounts of young coconuts during my transition and entire first year raw. I like to joke that I had a love affair with coconuts, but the passion has now faded away. I still love them, I'm just not so crazy about them anymore. ;-)

When I'd pick up my case at the food co op every week, I'd actually experience a thrill of excitement throughout my entire body just by looking at the box of them. I'm not kidding, either. I was totally in love with coconuts in the beginning of going raw. I was sad when the feeling went away.

I wonder if I'd like just a plain lemon water day. I really love lemons a lot, but I don't think I'd want to eat them like I do oranges. :-P

Thanks for the response. :-)

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: April 02, 2008 03:12AM

why not do 9 days of bananas...i did 12 days about a year ago and felt wonderful...

i blended them with water in the mornings and just ate them in the afternoons...

it was great...mono eating celery or cucumbers will give you a tenth of the calories that sweet fruit will give you....just something to consider...

Date: April 02, 2008 03:16AM

hey GA, i was thinking you could do it in "rainbow order":

red: apples
red day 2: red grapes
orange: oranges
yellow: bananas
yellow day 2: pineapples
green: celery
green day 2: green grapes
green day 3: cucumbers
blue/indigo/violet: purple grapes

that's 9 days!

Date: April 02, 2008 06:38PM

maui_butterfly,

Thanks so much! What a lovely idea to eat the foods by color! I'm going to do that--but I still want to find two more fruits or veggies to take the place of two of the grape days. I don't think I'd be fond of eating so many grapes (I'm not a huge fan of them).

Thanks!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 02, 2008 06:41PM

meinleben Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why not do 9 days of bananas...i did 12 days about
> a year ago and felt wonderful...
> mono eating celery or cucumbers
> will give you a tenth of the calories that sweet
> fruit will give you....just something to
> consider...

Someday I might do a longer time with a solo fruit or veggie, but for now I want the variety to make it easier for me. Congrats on doing it for 12 days!

As for not getting enough calories on some of the days, I'm not too concerned with that. This is only going to be for nine days and I'm not at my ideal weight, yet, anyway. Thanks for pointing that out, however, since I didn't even think about it.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 02, 2008 07:00PM

Carsick: Just my own experience. I was 5' 8", 210 lbs, high-blood pressure, drinker, smoker, etc. Changing my diet gradually to vegetarian...then vegan...then mostly raw...then all-raw over the course of a couple of years....and then the many years of eating 99% conventional produce after that. That entire process yielded excellent results and a complete turn-around in health....at least in my own case/experience (Now 145 lbs, and in excellent health).

-If you can afford organic, I certainly encourage you to eat it and support the industry.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 03, 2008 02:53AM

Well, I think I'm going to take the list that maui_butterfly created:

red: apples
red day 2: red grapes
orange: oranges
yellow: bananas
yellow day 2: pineapples
green: celery
green day 2: green grapes
green day 3: cucumbers
blue/indigo/violet: purple grapes

when I go shopping on Saturday at the food co-op. I'll see what I can substitute for two of the grape days (since I only want grapes for one day) while I'm there. I'm hoping there are some nice cantaloupes available!

I'll most likely be posting updates about eating mono for the nine days in my blog (www.purejeevan.com/blog), but I can paste the text here if anyone is interested in how it's going. I'm wondering if nine days is enough to experience a big difference in how I feel without eating nuts and oil.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations, everyone!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 03, 2008 05:26AM

oh yes, please keep us posted!

(i'm trying to think of more things in the blue/indigo/violet range. what about purple cabbage?)

Date: April 03, 2008 12:49PM

LOL

maui_butterfly, purple cabbage is lovely and I do enjoy eating it, but I can't imagine doing 24 hours mono cabbage. :-P I'm just not that brave.

Okay, I'll be sure to post comments about the nine days here. :-)

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 03, 2008 02:08PM

based on this thread i've decided to mono eat for about 7 days...

today: bananas
friday: oranges
saturday: pineapple
sunday: grapes
monday: baby carrots
tuesday: apples
wednesday: kiwis
thursday: cucumber

let's swap notes on how things go gypsy ardor!!!!

Date: April 03, 2008 04:10PM

Yay!! When are you starting, nadiarafi? I'm starting this Sunday evening. I look forward to reading your updates here!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 03, 2008 09:23PM

just started today with bananas...it's going good so far...i feel a little over energized...could have something to do with a whole lot of potassium. tomorrow is orange day...wooohoo

Date: April 03, 2008 10:18PM

That's great, Nadiarafi!! I'm looking forward to starting it.

How many bananas have you eaten, so far?

Date: April 04, 2008 02:51PM

i ate 9 bananas yesterday, was a little worried about all the potassium but it was ok. today is oranges and it's 11 and i've eaten 3 so far (two florida tangerines and one cali navel). i'm thinking of doing a separate grapefruit day also!

Date: April 04, 2008 02:52PM

also, i live in brooklyn...where do you live? if you don't mind my asking that is

Date: April 04, 2008 03:05PM

How have you been feeling with it, so far, Nadiarafi?

I'll be eating more than nine bananas, I think. I can eat seven in one sitting just for breakfast on normal days. :-P I don't think there would be a potassium problem, or else someone would have cautioned us. Others have done mono meals on bananas for 12 days, and more!

How long have you been raw? It's fun to be doing this when someone else is trying it, as well. I'm looking forward to Sunday evening.

I don't mind you asking. I live in Pittsburgh, for now. I'm headed to a sunnier climate before the end of the year (that's my goal, anyway). You live pretty close to where I am right now! I've organized a raw food spiritual retreat for the end of May at an ashram here in Pennsylvania. If you feel like getting away for a few days, check it out: [www.purejeevan.com] I'll be serving all organic raw food meals during the retreat. :-)

I'd love to hear how you are feeling on the mono meals. Do you feel any different?

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 04, 2008 04:15PM

well today has been pretty normal. i brought 7 oranges to work and wish i had brought about 20 more. im going to run home during my lunch break and stock up on some more.

yesterday, i felt mildly clogged but not in a gross way, say the way i used to when i would power down two plates of mozzerella sticks or wings at a bar. weirdly enough, i felt mostly clogged in my chest as though i hadn't managed to swallow all my bananas into my stomach...sounds kind of weird right. but i was fine. got a little crankier towards the end of the day because i was craving something with a texture that wasn't mushy. i slept pretty well but had a very intense dream (i don't think that had anything to do with the mono banana eating)

today has been alright so far (its a little past noon) and i'm on orange # 6. i feel lighter and pretty energized. my eyelids feel a little heavy, other than that i'm good.

i'm excited for you to start too, i wish we could have done it together but i needs to include the weekend because next weekend i have to go away and while eating raw will be possible, eating mono probably won't.

the ashram sounds awesome...

Date: April 04, 2008 04:16PM

oh and i posted earlier about how my gums are alittle more delicate but i don't think that has to do with the mono eating

Date: April 05, 2008 03:26PM

nadiarafi, are you still mono mealing? I'd like to hear more about how it's going for you, if so! :-) I start tomorrow evening and I'm looking forward to it!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 06, 2008 12:26AM

I just got back from shopping. I found super fresh, sweet-smelling, organic strawberries!! Yay!! So, that's how I'm going to start my mono mealing. There weren't any melons, so I wasn't able to get any of those, yet.

This is what I picked up, so far, for my nine days:

strawberries (oh, they smell so great!!! I can't wait!)
oranges
pineapples
bananas
celery
cucumbers (these were super expensive--OUCH!)

I'm probably not going to be able to stick to the rainbow idea, as much as I love the idea!! I'll follow it as closely as I can. It all depends on what looks the ripest on each day, as well as what I feel like eating, I think. We'll see how it goes. When I saw the strawberries I about leaped for joy, but I settled for a semi-quiet squeal of delight! LOL

Lots of love to all of you!

Wendi
XOXO

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables