Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

06 blog of Storm
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 01, 2008 11:32PM

Have any of you seen 2006 Storm's writings on the topic of cravings? I found that very interesting, what he is describing happening to him after a long term raw vegan diet.

Really respect the man, the garden family is a great inspiration. Here is an excerpt, rest can be found here: [www.rawveganforever.com]
Storm's Web Log - Raw Vegan Forever
Blogdate 12/18/06

The Downside of the Raw Vegan Diet

I'm now about two weeks away from entering into my 58th journey around the sun. I have been doing the Raw Vegan Diet since 1972 and this is the first time that I am reaching what I would consider a crisis with the diet.

As we go deeper into the movement I'm starting to come into contact with long term raw vegans I always knew they must have existed. I read everything that I can find on the subject. One of the main inspirations for me was the work of Dr. Norman Walker who was also the longest lived raw vegan that I know of. Even though he had one cooked meal a day usually consisting of some form of rice dish; for me he is still a type of mentor, because he was the first to drive home the scientific principles of my current approach to the raw vegan diet.

But now after over thirty years I find myself besieged on all sides by intolerable food and drug cravings. I'm experiencing a level of agony that I never experienced up until now. When I first started I never experienced what is commonly known as detox. It did take a certain amount of discipline to change life long eating habits. But right from the start I was so excited by the incredible results until I was just swept away by the momentum of the discovery of a new frontier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 06 blog of Storm
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 02, 2008 01:41AM

I haven't gone to read more, but just this small portion is kind of disturbing isn't it? I wonder if it has something to do with a mid-life crisis sort to speak..or finding yourself thinking of your mortality? Deprivation maybe?

Ok, just got back from reading that entire entry. Yes, the energy created from the raw food diet..very clean, and very energizing..can be very disturbing. As a young mother I used to say, I am gong to bed now so I can quit working! I look forward to my bed and warm covers even nowsmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2008 01:50AM by Prism.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 02, 2008 01:48AM

Maybe Storm hasn't been listening to the body's signals for sleep closely enough and is basically sleep deprived ?

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: April 02, 2008 02:10AM

sounds like more of a spiritual crisis to me, more than a food or energy crisis.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 02, 2008 08:51AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe Storm hasn't been listening to the body's
> signals for sleep closely enough and is basically
> sleep deprived ?

That's what I thought too. Exhaustion can be a funny thing. Sometimes it makes you feel euphoric and/or hypersensitive.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 02, 2008 05:34PM

I've been thinking about this and maybe the high energy levels available eating raw foods and especially a diet high in fruit could provide enough energy that if a person were the hyper active type and just kept moving all the time the body's sleep signals could get confusing and hard to read. Have you ever been tired and got up and did something and were no longer tired ? What if a hyper person on raw foods rarely if ever slowed down ? The sleep signals could be muffled and the person could go "Sleepless in Rawland" for extended periods of time. Science has told us that the body needs sleep so maybe that could result in a crisis. A very hyper person on a high energy raw diet could even think they don't have to sleep anymore. Thanks for posting the link to the thought provoking article. One last thought - I think sleep is very relaxing and grounding and for most raw food eaters like myself it balances everything out so that "Sleepless in Rawland" dosn't happen and people can relax and unwind at the end of their day and put the day to rest in a normal way.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 02, 2008 05:49PM

I just thought he had too much time to think on his hands.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 03, 2008 02:50PM

I love the garden diet family, I think they're great.
I know I may get blasted for this but please nobody hate me for this. Im going to say exactly what I think;

I think he needs to eat some meat (and I dont even like meat, never have). I belive its unnatural to never consume animal foods. The human animal truly isnt vegan.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 03, 2008 02:55PM

Just wondering:
But would would meat actually give him that he doesn't get from his current diet??

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 03, 2008 03:14PM

WorkoutMan Wrote:
The human animal
> truly isnt vegan.

really? sources?

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: April 03, 2008 03:30PM

I can relate to this blog from him. It's similar to the reason that I have fallen off the raw wagon in the past. Even after working a 14-15 hour day I would come home and have too much energy. I would be able to gear down. Eventually I would have some sort of cooked snack and get all lethargic.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 03, 2008 04:13PM

gorillawar Wrote:
> I can relate to this blog from him. It's similar
> to the reason that I have fallen off the raw wagon
> in the past. Even after working a 14-15 hour day I
> would come home and have too much energy. I would
> be able to gear down. Eventually I would have some
> sort of cooked snack and get all lethargic.

I hope that one day I have this much energy. Once Im able to workout 6 hours a day then I'll be happy.

Utopian Life- I'll answer this later/soon when I get some time its a long story. Actually I'll start a new thread to explain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 04:15PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 03, 2008 08:34PM

I sometimes want to do cartwheels at work. =D

I read this entry a while back and was fascinated by it. Interesting it's brought up now--and I have to mention it again--that killer book, Left in the Dark. One of its hypotheses is that the damaged left hemisphere of the brain requires more sleep than the right. If a raw/comparibly primate diet heals this damage to any extent (which the book suggests it does, and explains in great detail how damage is initially done by the opposite)--it makes sense that long-term raw vegans might need less sleep.

Even Tonya Zavasta makes repeated mention of raw foodies needing less sleep over time. She said something like, "Sleep is the hospital recovery room--the less you beat yourself up, the less time you have to spend there." My body clock already aligned itself with the sun (and I was hopeless before, I could sleep 4AM-4PM).

The real test of time will be the raw children. How do they sleep? What is their energy like? How do they tend to naturally mature, all biological processes considered?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables