Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soil!
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 04, 2008 12:02PM

If I went into my garden and ate a spoonful of soil, would there be any B12 in that soil? If so, what would be the harmful effects of eating the soil in contrast with the benefit of natural B12 as opposed to synethtic? (Cyanocobalamin)

I'm not about to start eating my garden for breakfast, just asking out of curiosity smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soil!
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 04, 2008 12:21PM

This is definitely a YOUR call situation. You COULD have your soil tested for various items...including b-12......I imagine....depending on how expensive the test! Ha! ha! In any event, many kids eat dirt every day...I'd wager.....and live to tell the tail. I wouldn't count on eating soil as part of your regular eating regime. If you are VERY concerned you can grow your own produce and don't wash it....or take a b-12 supplement. I prefer to do the former.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 04, 2008 12:31PM

LOL, yeah I would love to do a test but being kinda poor, that isn't going to happen until I get rich :-) I don't mind the taste of dirt- it tastes more like food than fast food does!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:36PM

well, you can "test" it with your body but i don't recommend it. after my sister had a bout with a particularly aggressive intestinal parasite (she is still recovering from the creature And the treatment 2 years later, very VERY unpleasant!) i am careful to wash everything well. there are parasites in soil that can be really harmful to humans. take care.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 04, 2008 03:14PM

There are two kinds of B12 supplements. I think I read that the cyano... kind isn't as good as the meth... kind. I can't recall the exact words for them.

I would think if we found soil with B12 in it, it would be from soil collected in undisturbed areas (like in wooded areas). I'm hoping that one day we'll be able to replenish the natural balance of soil so that our foods can be as healthy as they were intended to be for us.

I'd rather make mud pies and admire their beauty than to eat the actual dirt. However, I know there are people who order special dirt to eat, because it's supposed to be health for them. There's a book written about eating dirt, too, but I don't know what it's called.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 04, 2008 03:25PM

You could grow veggies like carrots and pick and just knock the dirt off and eat but only if you have great soil and use organic gardening practices. I wouldn't eat soil at a teaspoon at a time..just too much! You can buy dirt to eat I believe..hahaha..they really have some you can eat, can't recall where I saw it at..online someplace.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:28AM

interesting. Well, I fertilized my salmonberry bushes with 'centrum' tablets, green tea, and herbal tea bags this winter. Do you think there is any b12 in the berries that are starting to form? (from the b12 in the tablets)

I would note that the bush has WAY more flowers this year than last. Probably 3 times more. It could be the special supplemental fertilizer, or the extra wet winter, i don't know. I can hardly wait to have some berries!

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:46AM

Please don't eat soil. It's full of bacteria, parasites, worms, and all sorts of things.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:46PM

I would rather take a supplement, then eat dirt that a supplement had been put in a long time ago. Women with pica (cravings for non-food items) will sometimes from the bacteria in the dirt they eat--it's not safe. I don't wash my produce well (well, out of laziness more than anything else), but a handful of dirt is another story. Not human food!

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 06, 2008 05:01PM

I would drink rejuvelac before I ate dirt. You can safely grow your own B12 and lot's of other beneficial bacteria by letting wheatberries sit around in several changes of water for a few days.

I start drinking the water after the first day. Don't drink right from the container that the wheatberries are in or you will contaminate it with bad bacteria - pour it off into a glass first. If it tastes really bad, it is bad, so throw it out. Some recipes call for blending the berries, but I don't think that is necessary.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:19AM

I pick wild greens everyday and don't wash them. I've been doing this for 5 years and haven't got ill. I wouldn't eat a spoonful of soil, but I will eat the very small amounts which are on the leaves.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables