Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

This anti-raw article
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2008 01:50AM

Before I give my 2 cents, I was wondering what you ladies & gents feel about this article? Im sure a lot of you have already read it. (Warning: long read, and it will feel like a direct attack on you):

[www.beyondveg.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2008 01:50AM by ellejay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This anti-raw article
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 06, 2008 01:55AM

It's against eating a raw/vegan diet. I read it previously.

I'm not against anything. If you feel better eating small or large portions of animal proteins, rocks, or diet Coke, go for it.

I'm all for everyone doing what is healthiest for them.

I don't advocate extrapolating personal experience and applying it to everyone.

I advocate knowledge, compassion, and self-awareness.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 06, 2008 04:48AM

Tom Billings was discussed in a post called Tom Billings dietary failures.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 06, 2008 05:19PM

Tom is still mostly raw, last I heard.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:09PM

It looks like he's very upset/hurt. There's really no information in the article though.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:24PM

yeah i read it

a while ago

one guy's opinion

i just thought " hmmm.. that's interesting... but i'm still going raw, anyways.. hope he feels better with his own path"

i never felt attacked in the least

that is preposterous to think that he is attacking me

just cuz HE felt attacked

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 07, 2008 01:46PM

Yeah, I didn't really see it as an attack either. More like a cry for help actually.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 07, 2008 03:49PM

IMO I think its important to learn and to do that it helps to have an open mind and ask questions and listen to what people have to say. Then make up your own mind about the subject matter consistent with the quest for truth.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 07, 2008 08:07PM

i remember reading that in the first weeks of going raw, and i thought "hmmm, so its possible this diet is not sustainable for the long term. interesting. i'll check it out for myself and see."

that's still the way i feel. i'm checking it out for myself. if there ever came a day when i experienced dis-ease or my teeth started falling out of my head, and i thought my diet was the cause, i would drop raw foods like a brick! i'm not attached to it being anything, i only know my experience of it right now. which is amazing btw. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 11, 2008 04:31AM

Ellejay,

I have read quite a bit from that webpage, and I specifically looked for something like that even before it was ever discussed here or on other boards. I didn't take it as a personal attack at all. I percieved it as someone pointing out the limitations of having a particular set of dietary ideals. I don't think its an attack because the author compared a number of ideal diets and the psychology behind them, not selecting out anything particular.

There are limitations of knowledge, how can one completely see all sides? I think its great to compare notes between this page and the other and decide for yourself what makes sense. I think the author does make some interesting observations, I have made some of my own.

I have noticed a number of people with particular dietary fixations, for one reason or another. These fixations were not always based on dietary ideals for health, but a number were. I found these people to be unhealthy physically and emotionally. I do believe you can be very healthy with an ideal diet, but I would really re-evaluate things if you start having problems healthwise, or socially.

Without mentioning the particular dietary ideals, I can mention some of the symptoms. What do you think about these observations?

*someone who basically eats only two items, and a daily multiple vitamin, but has severe thyroid problems,(with medication) severe acne, and severely overweight. She avoids a large number of foods because they are "gross"...

*Someone who eats only 3 items, plus mega vitamins...has been hospitalized every year for an ulcer for 6 years in a row, has had severe anemia, and eventually developed cancer. To top it off he routinely and vocally criticized people for their food choices, based on his dietary ideals.

*someone who avoids one class of food, but seems to have a slightly more balanced food itake otherwise...but is constantly cold, wears a hat and coat indoors, and sits with a heating pad on her lap. She says she has eaten this way for the last 20 years, and sees no sense in changing now, and otherwise feels she is fine.

*someone who eats a 'variety' of very unhealthy food (from my point of view) but feels that everything will kill you, so why not enjoy life? This person weights about 600lbs, I kid you not. He thinks that some people are naturally larger, and people should have more compassion and understanding for his condition. I believe that many people do. But people who comment on improving his lifestyle only translate to hurtful and unnecessary criticisms, when in fact they are concerned for his health. He says that he isn't going to diet ever, because he has tried and they don't work.

Well, that is my rant...I think I am going to rap it up now. Some people have a lot of crap around their eating habits. I must admit that I am one of them. I scored a perfect score on the orthorexia test. My biggest problem is that I think about food way too much. Its literally consuming me. But I have been receiving a wake up call. I actually get nautious when I start to think about dietary ideals, and particular dietary terms. Don't get carried away with this stuff in the wrong way! Don't criticize people or offer dietary advice when you sense that they aren't interested. Realize that there are limitations of knowledge, and that your particular dietary ideal is a perspective, and no more and no less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables