Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food for Sensitive Teeth
Posted by: nik ()
Date: April 08, 2008 07:45PM

My teeth are really sensitive right now. I can't get them fixed for a little while longer but I suspect they are sensitive because of cavities. The sensitivity is on and off, but sometimes it is very painful when eating.

What are foods that I should stick to and foods that I should avoid? Obviously besides for how the food effects my teeth I also still need to eat a diet that is filling enough and nutritionally balanced. So I can't just cut out all fruits and nuts completely and live off of spinach and kale. I'd like some advise though. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food for Sensitive Teeth
Posted by: hemp0la ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:11PM

I would say avoid citrus fruits completely, and try to limit other fruits that are acidic to the mouth like apples, pears, etc.

I think berries would be safe, as long as they're not too cold.

I can't think of any veggies to avoid.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 08, 2008 09:09PM

I have real bad teeth I can't chew on one side because the molors are so badly rotten and the other side is bad because the lower molor has a bad spot. I discovered oil pulling really helps with tooth pain. I take cold pressed sunflower or seasame oil and swoosh it in my mouth in the morning before I eat anything. I would swoosh the oil for about 20 minutes and rinse and brush teeth after. I swoosh also when I have tooth pain. The oil will get in to the areas and pull out debri that is in the cavities, when the debri is cleared out you will have less pain in the teeth.
As for what I eat, well I have green smoothies and perhaps a salad in the evening. I don't think we need as many nuts so I don't eat to many of those. I have noticed that eating raw foods really helps so I would encourage you to keep that up. When I eat cooked foods my gums start showing sighns of infection and when I eat raw foods they show sighns of healing. Another food that is good for teeth is the wheat grass juice. I would take a shot of that and swoosh it for as long as I can and they take some of the pulp and place it on the tooth that hurts it draws the pain away. I went on a water fast for 11 days and that helped to. Hope this was healpfull for you
love
Pam

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 09:11PM

Try drinking wheatgrass juice - it worked like magic for Phantom in another thread a couple weeks ago.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:33AM

I was just about to pull out the green hat and start dancing again!

Even if you have other problems that need to be worked on, wheatgrass will clean and strengthen your mouth in EVERY way. Get a shot of the fresh stuff, swish it around your mouth for as long as you can possibly stand, and do it 2-3 times/day. It is indispensable to dental health if you are having problems. It really brought on a miracle cure with the problems I was having at the time (which were very sudden and scary).

You can also chew cloves for pain. They're mildly disinfectant and will really numb the afflicted area (I'm not sure if you can swallow them?).

A warm saltwater rinse after brushing or any time there is bleeding is VERY good (even normal doctors recommended that trick when I had my wisdom teeth out).

Pineapple = pain.

And avoid any added sugars like the devil. When I was having trouble, sweeter fruits like grapes were simple to eat (I always at least rinsed my mouth after). I also found cutting up my fruit into smaller pieces (for the ones that weren't too sour/stinging) made eating fruit easier. Smoothies would work. Don't cut it out completely--you need calories--just find the ones that your mouth is still happy to have.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:56AM

I like this Thread. When I eat Fruit or drink Fruit Juice, I can 'feel' my two Crowns. When I drink Wheatgrass Juice (I just had 3 ounces) or drink Green Smoothies, I can't.....nuff said.....WY

Posted by: nik ()
Date: April 09, 2008 02:59AM

Thanks for the advice and tips. I've tried oil pulling before for a couple weeks and didn't notice anything from it, not even whiter teeth like everyone claims. Maybe I'll try it again. I was just reading about it a little bit ago though and read that it was causing a lot of people to have even more sensitive teeth after doing it for a while, which scared me off from it. It made me think that perhaps the effect of whiter teeth that some people were noticing was because it somehow would start to remove layers of the enamel like lemon juice and other acids do. I don't know why else it would cause people to have whiter teeth, as it doesn't bleach.

Oranges and tangerines happen to be some of my favorite fruits and I don't notice any sensitivity from them. I only notice sensitivity to lemon or lime juice or grapefruit. Especially if the oranges are ripe and sweet they are not that acidic, although perhaps I should stop eating them anyways. I get more sensitive to high sugar foods like bananas or before on cooked foods with anything with sugar in it like chocolate or something. Are apples and pears really acid? Would that make tomatoes a definite no? What about strawberries? Acid fruits are my favorite fruits, maybe that's the problem. I'm wondering if I can eat any dried fruits at all? I stay away from dates, and don't really eat raisins or high sugar dried fruits. Although I love goji berries and dried golden berries and mulberries.

Nuts sometimes hurt too like cashews or almonds. I wonder if the lemon juice is only in small amounts in a recipe if it would be ok. Like lemon in water or in tea or in a hummus or something. If I put too much on my salad it hurts, but I don't know what else to put on my salad for flavor. It is boring with just oil and salt, it needs something tangy.

What is the best way to grow wheatgrass? Do they need sunlight? I have a wheatgrass juicer - but I don't have a green thumb - at all!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 09, 2008 09:36AM

Posted by: nik (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2008 07:59PM

It made me think that perhaps the effect of whiter teeth that some people were noticing was because it somehow would start to remove layers of the enamel like lemon juice and other acids do. I don't know why else it would cause people to have whiter teeth, as it doesn't bleach.

That could be or possibly the mechanical action of the swishing could be scrubbing or cleaning the teeth ?

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:41PM

I can see how the wheat grass juice would be healing to the mouth. However, won't it cause severe staining of the teeth over time, even with brushing a lot?

Lots of love,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables