Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Those cukes used for pickling.
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 13, 2008 11:45PM

You know those smaller cucumbers sold for pickling? Are they good raw? Does anyone know if they are: 1) tasty, 2) nutritious, and 3) good for juicing? LOL

Anyone have experience with those? I was at the flea market today and bought tons of mangos, pineapples, coconuts, apples, jicama, cantelope, and strawberries. I was tempted to get those small cucumbers to try them out and I got distracted and forgot about them. They didn't appear to be waxed. That's why I was interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Those cukes used for pickling.
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 13, 2008 11:50PM

I love them!! I am not sure about nutritional values, but they taste great.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:19AM

I've only had them once. One of our local farms had them at the farmer's market. They aren't a common crop for my area, nor the kind of produce the regular grocery stores carry. I thought they were really good, but not so wonderful that I'd pay twice regular cucumber prices.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2008 02:40AM

they are my favourite cucumber, i like them best of all the kinds out there.
they're probably very close in nutritional value to other cukes but this seems like a very tiny thing to even be concerned about.

Posted by: hemp0la ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:14PM

They're wonderful! Especially nice if you don't eat cucumber all that often and just want one little one as a snack instead of a 2-ft long one.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 14, 2008 03:23PM

Yes, and if you're not always buying organic, from a farm stand, or growing your own the pickle sized cukes never have been dipped in wax or oil. You don't have to peal the skins off.

Posted by: Stormyone66 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 06:29PM

I like them, and my youngest son loves them as they are kid sized. smiling smiley

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: April 15, 2008 09:13PM

My theory is that they are nutrient richer as they have more skind per weight compared to a large one...but that may be wrong.
Anyways, I bought 20 pounds the other day for my juice feast. I love'em cause they don't seem to eb waxed as you say and also they fit right into the feeder of my blender hehehe...no cutting needed!

Date: April 19, 2008 10:23PM

Went to the flea market today and bought those pickling cucumbers. They are soooo soooo good. And yes, no wax! I just finised eating some sliced and sprinkled with fresh squeezed lemon juice. I can see this is going to be an addiction. smiling smiley

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:04PM

we bought a bunch from the farmers market and they are pickling in a big jar right now. We used a recipe for pickling in "raw Family". I never thought of pickling without vinegar. It is our first time pickling anything. We love pickles so i hope they turn out good.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:09PM

Please please please please please can you share a recipe for pickling without vinegar?!

I've been very tempted for pickles from time to time. I haven't caved... yet. It would be nice to be able to satisfy that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:34PM

i have a jar of fermented pickles in the fridge right now and man, are they Ever good! i prefer them without vinegar, fermented is way better.
there is a pickling/fermenting jar at the health food store by my mom's, i should pick it up.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:28AM

Omg those little cucumbers are my favorite food! Man I love those things.

They were (still are) a staple of my parents' garden. Yum! My beloved childhood kitty cat also shared my passion for cucumbers - he went craaazy for them, it was so funny. He liked the seeded middle parts the best so my mom used to scoop out the insides and give it to him, then give us the leftover hollowed out cucumber. hehe.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 23, 2008 04:09AM

How funny, a kitty that likes cucumber.

Our pickles turned out so yummy, the best pickles I have ever had. I am so excited. We also pickled green beans, carrots and grape leaves. The grape leaves grow wild on our property.

Date: April 23, 2008 04:54AM

Those cucumbers are good marinated in lemon juice and sprinkled with "pico de gallo" or "rooster's beak" seasoning. Basically, "pico de gallo" is a seasoning made with chilli powder and salt. Probably easy to make raw by grounding sun dried peppers and sea salt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables