Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are canned raw foods really raw?
Posted by: sandyRaw ()
Date: April 14, 2008 10:54AM

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask you a question:I'm about to order raw tahini and raw almond butter,but I hesitate because I feel like, as these foods are canned,they aren't raw anymore...(because of pasteurization and so on...).
What to think about that?
I hope you'll reply,because I'm confused... :-(
Thank you for your help!

Have an excellent RawDay!

sandy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are canned raw foods really raw?
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:48PM

I asked the same question, definitely not raw - they are heated (and probably have sulfites added) to stay in the can for years and years. At least with canned veggies - I really don't know anything about the raw tahinis/butters though. Anything canned IMO should be avoided if possible (unless you have no other way to get it in a glass jar), just for the fact that the food is packaged in alluminum (sp?).

Date: April 14, 2008 01:07PM

Hi veggiefreak,

Thank you very much for your answer.
In fact,I'm very bad in english,I would like to say"glass jar"!!!Sorry! :-(
Is it the same with glass jar?I didn't understand what did you say about glass jar...

Thanx a lot!

sandy

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:41PM

Well, I think that if it says "raw" it is - and I would be okay eating it from a jar, as opposed to a can. I don't think they can pasturize it and then call it "raw." (Although "they" get away with lots of crazy things when it comes to labeling!"winking smiley That is just my opinion though, someone else can tell you for sure.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:44PM

Opinion:

-Don't get hung up on the word 'raw'. Think: "Fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables". This will ensure a very high quality diet (in my opinion). If you ARE going to eat lesser quality food - that's still ok.....just do it very consciously.....and deciseively....and accept the consequences.

-Remember that there are no raw food police. This is just a question of YOUR goals....and what helps you to reach YOUR chosen raw food lifetime percentage. My idea of the 'wrong' thing is very simple: anything which does NOT help you to do that....or brings you down.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: be beautiful ()
Date: April 14, 2008 04:17PM

So many things that claim to be raw aren't! But really, while eating 100% raw is ideal, most advocates do admit that a high-raw diet may be just as beneficial. And tahini is really good -- and really good for you! If I were you I would get the tahini, but first I'd look at your local health food store, since they have it at mine. And as for the nut butters, if you have a blender you can grind your own! Yum! If not, again, try a health food store.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:18PM

Make your own if you want nut butter

Dont eat anything in a jar or package..only from the ground..with soil and bugs!!

simple!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:37PM

Yes, I do believe the ones labeled as "raw" are really raw if jarred (NOT canned). I get raw sauerkraut sometimes and raw almond butter (now, if you get this, make sure it's not from pasteurized almonds if you want - you can get it online, just google it) and raw tahini. I would trust all except the almonds at this point as long as they say "raw." You can contact the companies regarding their practices as well.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: April 14, 2008 06:23PM

First of all I'd like to thank you very much all of you for your answers!

I think that I'll do my tahini and my almond butter myself!Thank you very much to help me to take a decision...I was lost!
It's ok if I soak the sesam and the almonds and then put them in my blender with water?

But what about olive oil for example,or tamari or nori it's the same reasoning...So I should stop eating them too!
And as I'm juice fasting it would be a good idea to stop eating them and go on a 100% raw food diet,what do you think?
It sounds great and exciting...
So you never use dressing (for example made with olive oil + lemon juice and tamari),except mashed avocado or lemon juice or fresh herbs?You cut the veggies in a plate and eat them like that?Is that's right?Or are there other methods?

I'm waiting for your replies with impatience!!!

Thanx again!

sandy

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 14, 2008 06:35PM

Posted by: sandyRaw (IP Logged)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:54AM

I hesitate because I feel like, as these foods are canned,they aren't raw anymore...(because of pasteurization and so on...).
What to think about that?

I appreciate your concern that the foods that you eat are truly raw as I also want my foods to be raw and so do the other people on this forum because they "get it" that cooking and processing destroys nutrients in foods and robs the foods of their magic to nourish and heal. The way I insure that the foods are as raw as possible is that I like to get them fresh from the farmer, market' or forage and peel, skin, crack, slice, chop, or otherwise open them from their natural packaging. Even this is not a for sure guarantee. Look at the Almond and other nuts for examples of non-raw foods that could be ingested thinking they were indeed raw foods. I like to eat sproutable seeds rather then nuts so that I know they are raw. The law isn't clear on labeling what is truly raw and what is not so its "buyer beware" in labeling. Good luck.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 14, 2008 08:13PM

There ARE no regulations with labeling, sadly.

Two words to illustrate my point: "Pepsi Raw."

I've read other places tahini is a bit difficult to guarantee. You're best off contacting the supplier, or looking for the kind that says "unroasted" (though is it pasteurized?).

It's a little more work, but you could soak your own sesame seeds and grind them yourself. =)

Date: April 15, 2008 10:50AM

Thank you very much for your repplies!

It's so cool to meet people that eat like me,who understand me!
For the first time I don't have to justify myself and explain the reasons why I 've chosen eating this way!

Thanks again to be here!! :-)

Have a nice RawDay!!!

sandy

Posted by: javacado ()
Date: April 16, 2008 11:18PM

Sandy,

It's cool to hear someone so excited about raw food! I am new to raw for the most part and I have heard such negativity from everyone I know. It's unbelievable, because I thought people would all surely agree that eating fruits and veggies is undeniabley better raw than cooked, processed, etc. People think I'm a freak for the most part. I don't really care that they do, I just would like to eat what I want and not have people raise an eyebrow and make some snarky comment about it!

Java (Jennie)

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: April 17, 2008 06:01PM

Nothing bottled or canned, or even in glass jars is raw unless you made it a few hours ago.

Sauerkraut is maybe raw-rotten.

Raw is non frozen as well, and non pasteurized, undehydrated, etc

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 17, 2008 07:00PM

that's an awesome photo, suvine!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables