Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is Avocado as unique fat source enough?
Posted by: sandyRaw ()
Date: April 15, 2008 11:16AM

Hi RawFriends!

Finally,I decided not to eat nuts because I find them too concentrated.
So my only fat source is avocado,is it ok?
I've read that avocados contain all the essential fatty acids.Is it correct?
Maybe if I find some young coconuts,it would be another source,but it won't be regular...
I want also to order raw black olives,the peruvian ones that are sundried,unsalted...What do you think about this product?Is it really raw?Have you ever ordered and tasted them?Do have we to soak them before eating them??

The web sites that propose them are:
[www.detoxyourworld.com]
[www.rawguru.com]
[www.naturalzing.com]

I hope you could help me...

Have a very nice RawDay!

sandy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Avocado as unique fat source enough?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 15, 2008 11:51AM

Well, even (other) fruit has fat in it. I assume you mean the only concentrated fat source?

I wouldn't use avocados as the only source, personally. I would also add in (not daily) Brazil nuts (esp. good for selenium), hempseeds, flaxseeds, and some extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 11:53AM by Utopian Life.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 15, 2008 12:49PM

I like to get my daily oils from the foods I eat including an avocado or two (usually one), A young coconut blended using juice & pulp, and some seeds (usually flax and/or sunflower). I used to buy Hemp seeds oil from the HFS in a bottle but recently stopped buying it as it didn't feel raw to me even though they went to great lengths to preserve it. If its not raw I don't want it. I also eat any seeds that come with the foods I eat like the seeds in the tangerines, apples, bell peppers, etc and they may have oils in them.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 15, 2008 02:10PM

The raw Peruvian olives are EXTREMELY bitter. Whoa!!! I was shocked when I bought them. Last night, I cut three up into smaller pieces (they are huge!), and soaked them overnight. I've soaked them for shorter periods of time, and it seemed to help a little, so overnight soaking should be the ticket.

As for fat sources, variety is always better. Sometimes you might want to throw a handful of seeds into a smoothie, rather than eat an avocado--especially flax, to counterbalance omegas. Coconuts also have saturated fats (but in some mythic chain structure that is good for you), so, again, I would say variety--without eating too much fat--is good. It's even good to vary nuts, if you eat them, for mineral content.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 15, 2008 02:24PM

My experience: I have eaten nothing but avocados...and the occasional coconut for well over 2 years...and my fat profiles (just got the bloodwork back) are perfectly normal....with the exception of a low 'bad cholesterol'.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 15, 2008 08:45PM

Hi everyRawbody!

Thank you very much to all of you!

David,what do you tell me make me happy and excited!
It's exactly what I would like to do! :-)

Utopian life,EZ rider and phantom:when you talk about seeds do you mean,I suppose,sprouted seeds?
I understand what do you say:that is better to have several fat sources,but:
I won't use oil anymore(after my juice fast),because they aren't really raw,I think,like you EZ rider!
I don't like sprouted seeds very much...I eat them seldom.
However,Ez rider,I think it's a good idea to eat fruit seeds!

And what about fruitarians,they don't eat any sprouted seeds or oils or soaked nuts,and they're very well?What do you think about them?

For me fruitarism is the goal to achieve...

phantom,tell me about your olives,what taste they have after having soaked them all night?

Bye and thanx again!!!

sandy

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 15, 2008 08:59PM

Avocado only is fine, besides you get a fat intake from most foods to a degree anyhow. In addition, as the months, years go by, things will change for you. View the big picture rather than the day by day I need this or that train of thought.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 15, 2008 09:52PM

I don't know why you think oils aren't raw. I have found many cold-pressed ones.

I also don't know why you would not eat seeds by themselves, such as sunflower, pumpkin. I use hempseeds usually to coat my truffles that I make with dates and cacao.

Also fruitarians eat foods that don't kill the plants, so the general definition can include some nuts and even vegetables. If a fruitarian decides to eat only fruit, that's their choice, but that's not what the general meaning is of the term.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 09:57PM by Utopian Life.

Date: April 15, 2008 09:54PM

Haha, I just ate them for lunch. They were still slightly bitter, but they got VERY big and were very tasty. I was full (comfortably, not stuffed) after three olives.

I don't know if they'd have to soak longer if I didn't chop them up.

Yum!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:03AM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My experience: I have eaten nothing but
> avocados...and the occasional coconut for well
> over 2 years...and my fat profiles (just got the
> bloodwork back) are perfectly normal....with the
> exception of a low 'bad cholesterol'.
>
> -David Z. Mason

They didn't test your plasma DHA, which is usually very low in vegans
unless they deliberately intake o6yawning smiley3 ratios of 4:1 or lower or supplement
with algae-derived supps. (DHA testing is not part of the standard
panel.)O

For this reason, I think it is unwise to rely on avocado alone
or even avocado + coconut as sole concentrated fat sources.

Flax/hemp/walnut help. So do lots of leafy greens.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:25AM

I would limit myself to avocado only. Every food brings something different, another way to view this is to look at animals in the wild, they feed from multiple sources on a daily basis.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 16, 2008 12:35AM

Yah, madinah, but wild fruits have much better o6yawning smiley3 ratios, so I consider this to be a moot point.

Some of us deliberately take in good o3 sources these days, even though it does seem artificial (personally, I would not choose flax if it weren't a good o3 source) because there are so very few of them left in our toxic food society.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: April 16, 2008 04:35PM

Raw olives..taste FOUL!! Dont waste your cash

I hardly ever eat avo.. sometimes.. but fruit/veg/hemp seeds suits me fine smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2008 02:17AM

Raw olives are DELICIOUS.

Just soak them a bit, and you will roll around the floor while singing hymns of joy in the native olive tongue.

Otherwise, dried, they are quite bitter. But soaked... the flavor rocks any organic non-raw olives you'll find anywhere else. (Trust me, I've eaten them all.)

I just wish I could grow a giant olive tree in the middle of my bedroom... and then lie in bed and eat them! XD

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 17, 2008 02:31AM

Posted by: phantom (IP Logged)
Date: April 16, 2008 07:17PM

Raw olives are DELICIOUS.
Just soak them a bit

About how long do you soak them ?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 17, 2008 02:33PM

I loved the raw, unsalted olives plain and unsoaked (though mine were juicy anyway)--so soaking is maybe "to taste". I guess I like bitter smiling smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 18, 2008 03:54AM

sandyRaw,

I agree with David and others that avocados as the only concentrated fat source would be fine. Most fruits are 3% to 5% fat as a percentage of calories, and greens can be 10+% fat, so you will be getting some fat even if you don't eat a concentrated fat.

Also, if you have a craving for nuts and seeds, do indulge them if it feels good to you.

Date: April 26, 2008 08:25AM

Hello everyRAWbody,

First of all,I would like to thank you every one of you for your answers!
Thank to you I don't feel alone and I feel well-supported!
I didn't reply sooner because I was thinking...
Like I told in another post,I think seriously of living on juices.
Also I hesitate to add smoothies to my new style of life in order to integrate avos or olives,as it's impossible juice them but I'm afraid that I wouldn't feel as better as now,drinking only juices and no fiber at all...
Perhaps If I add a little quantity of blended avo in my veggies juices it would be ok...?
I don't know,I have to think about it!
Any idea is welcome!!! :-)

Have a raw nice day!!

sandy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables