Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Enzyme inhibitors
Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:07AM

I have Rita Romano's book... Dining in the Raw, and she explains enzyme inhibitors. Enzyme inhibitors existing in ungerminated seeds, nutts, grains, and legumes. She makes a reference to a Dr. Howell. After looking up more of this guy I found that he even says things like raw eggs, raw potatoes have enzyme inhibitors... because they are seeds. He was interviewed by this actual website.

Now it is said that it is better to cook these foods, which will remove the enzyme inhibitors, rather than to eat them raw. Or remove the enzyme inhibitors by germination. The reason being that when animals are fed large amounts of enzyme inhibitors, over time they face serious amounts of physical degeneration. Which included gastro-intestinal problems, enlarged pancreas, excretion of large amounts of enzymes, and an overall condition of poor health. And that if the pancreas stops secreting enzymes, this will lead to death.

I am going to guess... that coconuts also have enzyme inhibitors... and that the milk does too. But I am not 100% sure. I tried to google it, but nothing really good came up. I would also think that the green ones arent healthy aswell for this reason... or have something else in them... to protect the seed.

Now alot of this makes sence to me, because i have heard that alot of people that go raw... have over the years become sickly. I imagine part of thier problem is that they have been eating large amounts of foods with enzyme inhibitors.

I am kinda curious about this topic though... so those of you who have been raw for years... I am sure you have encountered this subject before. What is your take on it? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enzyme inhibitors
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:17AM

the latest info i've gleaned (from one of the sciencey types on this site actually though i can't recall who it was) is that the enzyme inhibitors on foods don't have an impact on our digestion. the reason to soak seeds, nuts and grains is to start the germination process which often increases nutrient quantity, as well as softening the food by adding water to it which makes it easier to digest.

seems reasonable to me. some of those books are pretty outdated.

Date: April 20, 2008 01:12AM

Curious... I am definitly interested

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:43AM

I recall reading something a long time ago about it not being a good idea to drink the soak water from seeds as it is full of enzyme inhibitors. When I read that I thought about the "rejuvalac" that Ann Wigmore made from the soak water of wheat berries. Does anyone know if its a good or bad idea to drink seed soak water ?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:51AM

I always drink date soaking water because it's yummy... mmm, water from soaking gojis, too.

Dunno about nuts. It wouldn't appeal to me. =\

Date: April 20, 2008 02:19AM

hipocrates doesn't recommend rejuvelac anymore, tests indicate just as much bad bacteria as good in that brew. i wouldn't drink the soak water of anything i was sprouting, dates, raisins and sundried tomato soak water is totally fine.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 20, 2008 02:22AM

I never soak my seeds or nuts. I prefer to eat them without sprouting.

I doubt that the enzyme inhibitors are a cause for feeling poorly. This may have more to do with dietary choices. What does your typical daily menu look like, including amounts of the foods you eat?

Date: April 20, 2008 03:00AM

I dont plan on eatin a whole ton of nuts. Maybe around 2 ounces every day, or other day probably with salad. I just want some variety in my food, and to eat what I crave. That is all.

I talked to a Master Herbalist... he said just to chew them really well, and not combine with fruits. I am going to trust my instincts and eat the ones I like. I dont really like walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or almonds.... they are bitter. But I do like peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, and brazil nuts.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 20, 2008 03:12AM

The rejuvelac is a byproduct of soaking already sprouted wheat berries. I have given this to my father and he said it made him feel better. It has probiotics in it to aid digestion. I would not po po this soley based on what the hippicraties institute says after all isnt that the same place that took over ann wigmores ideas?. Rejuvelac is an old style process kind of like making mead and similar to making beer. I think there is still some merit in the rejuvelac. I think it still may be a good aid for the new raw fooders because in the beginning the digestive juices arre not as active and the rejuvelac is helpfull.

Date: April 20, 2008 03:57AM

omg, this ridiculous wigmore/hippocrates arguement again? geez. it's all hearsay, just so you know. nothing terrible happened there and it has zero to do with this topic anyhow.

rejuvelac has been studied and analysed in a lab and shown to contain many unhealthy forms of bacteria along with the good. for someone with health issues to consume it is not advisable, someone with great digestive health might not have any problem dealing with it but taking in quantities of bad bacteria is a strain on even a healthy system.

there are far better sources of good bacteria, if it's a ferment that you are after there are much better choices for that as well. rejuvelac is off the list for me. beet kvass is pretty stellar IMO.

Date: April 20, 2008 04:48AM

I dont really think much of pro-biotics. Thats just my opinion.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 20, 2008 05:12AM

wow! It seems I have struck a nerve with you coco, I was only responding to something ez rider stated about rejuvelac . Do you have to attack me?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: April 20, 2008 07:26AM

I don't know anything about enzyme inhibitors but I have seen that sprouted rice has more protein than "grain" rice. Sprouted rice is considered a complete protein where as "grain" rice is not.

Date: April 20, 2008 07:30AM

interesting.... how is it to eat sprouted rice? is it easy and chewy?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 20, 2008 05:01PM

I don't think you need to worry about complete protein any more. the thinking on that has changed.

Bryan I'm glad to hear that you don't soak your nuts and seeds. I too prefer them as they come - infact I really don't like them soaked, but I was a little concerned that i might be doing something 'wrong'. ha ha yes I know, no food police etc

Date: April 20, 2008 07:09PM

pampam that's not an attack on you, it's simply a statement about the veracity of what you wrote. the hippocrates institute was not stolen from ann wigmore. that's an old story that gets tossed around here and there and does way more harm than good and that is a shame. please take care what gossip you use to support your arguements.

and yes, flipperjan you are correct. the "complete protein" thing was disproved many years ago, so long as you take in sufficient amino acids your body can build the specific proteins it needs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables