Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bottled water VS water filter
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:43AM

I buy water in either those gallon jugs or the big ones. is that really bad for the environment? I always have a hand held plastic water bottle to carry with me, and then i just refill it, and i throw it out after a couple days and get a new one.

what do you think the best water is that you can purchase in large quantities?

someone once told me arrowhead is bad water, but i forget why.

is a water filter way better?

thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bottled water VS water filter
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 22, 2008 09:29AM

Do not waste your money, if you are raw, you already have the best water in fruit and vegetables, if you need water, use tap water, it is better than botteld water, it undergoes more testing.
The best approach is to filter your tap water.
[www.statesman.com]
[www.bottledwaterblues.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2008 09:37AM by madinah.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:47AM

Bad for the environment? A bit. Still, it's worse if you eat any cooked foods. And worse if you drive a car. It's bad if you use electricity.....well....you get the point. I'm sure it would be well to keep these things in perspective....and make changes that YOU determine will have the greatest impact.

On the water side: I usually only drink water when fasting, and then I use the water from the machine at Walgreens that filters municipal tap water using reverse osmosis (which seems to be the standard for purity) along with charcoal and UV. I put it in empty gallon wine jugs and store in the refrigerator. That is certainly very clean water....with a minimum of environmental impact.

-Power to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 22, 2008 10:50AM

Here's a good link:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:11PM

One cannot neglect the environmental impact of all of these plastic water bottles, the energy required for the production and transportation. It will be ok if it was necessary as in driving a car but it is not necessary to drink bottled water and it is not even healthy.

Posted by: mameyluver ()
Date: April 22, 2008 02:55PM

David, why do you only drink water when fasting and not other times, like after a rigorous workout?

xoxo,
Lita

[paintedrenderings.blogspot.com]

Date: April 22, 2008 05:23PM

Oh hey Lita! I hope everything's cool with you. My diet is fruit...so....it's like practically ALL water! Ha! ha! Sheesh....I'm in the loo like twice a night as it is!

Anyway...heh..heh...yeah. I will drink distilled or purified water while fasting. I don't even really do it while working out or competing (like on a run).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:39PM

I have always liked the refreshing taste of clean water and when I went all raw the clean water tasted better then ever and more refreshing then ever. I find that it cleanses my palette between foods and starts my day with a fresh taste everyday. This fall as the weather got colder I found myself missing my cup of warm tea which I had stopped drinking when I went all raw along with everything else in my diet that was not raw and one day instead of having my morning cup of room temperature water I warmed it up as if it was a cup of tea. Well I liked it and as I continued having it, it grew on me and I found that it tastes even better then the warm tea did. The warm water is refreshing and clears my mouth out like re-booting does for my puter. I probably don't need the water as about 90% of the foods I eat are high water content foods (the exceptions are bananas, avocados, and seeds) but I do appreciate the warmness of a cup of clean (distilled) water very much during the cooler months of the year kinda like I appreciate clean ice water on a hot summer day. I find that many times I prefer to have a cup of clean water instead of food and my appreciation and consumption of clean water allows me to easily await a return of hunger signal between eating mono meals. Clean water works for me in a way that nothing else does. It satisfies without calories. :=)

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 01:25AM

Long time I ago, I had an acquaintance who worked for his county's water department. This guy spent his whole career testing water... well water, tap water, county water sources, etc. He told me many stories of how disgusting many wells were and how disgusting the bottlers of water were and how conscientious his county's water department was. Now, sure, if you filter your own water (whatever the original source) that's the best. But I trust tap water more than commercial bottled water. Water bottling is totally unregulated. There are no mandated tests for that stuff.

I'll probably buy a water filter for my home tap at some point.

A friend of mine who works as a biological scientist told me that those Brita and Brita-like filter things work just as well as most installed filters if you keep up on changing the filters in a timely manner.

I drink water when I am thirsty.

My .02 and then some.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:16AM

There is an old well where I live supplying water to my house. My dog won't even drink it after 3 sediment and charcoal block filters so neither do I. So I started getting home delivery of the 5 gallon jugs of spring water. The price kept rising so buying gallon jugs at the supermarket about 20 at a time depending on what was on sale was much cheaper. Then once a month I recycled a pickup truck load worth of plastic. It dawned on me what a waste of plastic so I bought a water distiller that distills my well water. Sure it's biologically dead water but it's sweeter and softer tasting than most bottle waters I've tasted. The cost of electricity to "brew" a gallon is a fraction of what the cost is at the store. I remember municipal water from years back. It wasn't so bad.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 23, 2008 06:03AM

my parents have one of those sink water filter thingies. do you think those work okay? do they ever go bad?

thank you so much for your informative responses.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 23, 2008 08:27AM

Lita, you're very cute!

On topic, I get my water where David does, at those 25cent fillup places. I drink about a gallon a day though, I'm skeptical about any benefits of not drinking at all but to each their own, time will tell.

And yes, bottled water is terrible for the environment.

[www.sfgate.com]

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a good link:
>
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> -David Z. Mason

I'm confused, you posted a link to seedless fruit.

Date: April 23, 2008 11:40AM

Ha! ha! Another post cross posted. I apologize.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 23, 2008 07:00PM

No need to apologize, I don't think anyone was offended. winking smiley

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:02PM

This post inspired me so much. I don't drink that much water either. Only if I actually eat salty dish, I feel the need ti drink any water. But the article is so interesting, I forwarded the links to my girlfriends.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:49PM

I wouldn't and don't now drink anything from tap or municipal water source. I went back to distilled for now. I plan on getting my own distiller soon, and I do take a multi-mineral tablet for now. I think maybe a change between a good source of spring water and distilled is good..it's really a shame but imo there is not good water source apparently and if there are some (must be sources in some places worldwide) I would keep it secret if I knew about them and they weren't commercialized.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: April 24, 2008 12:48AM

You really should not drink out of plastic at all due to the bisphenol leeching into the water [www.ourstolenfuture.org]. I only try to drink distilled water, because i know the tap water is full of toxic stuff. At the bottom of the barrel of my water distiller there is always rainbow colored chemical/mineral sediments. But sometimes when your gotta drink tap you gotta drink tap when nothing else is available. Try to avoid plastic containers and use a glass container, and try to buy a good quality distiller if you can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 12:50AM by superjuicer.

Date: April 24, 2008 01:24AM

Posted by: superjuicer (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2008 05:48PM

At the bottom of the barrel of my water distiller there is always rainbow colored chemical/mineral sediments.

At the bottom of my distiller is a white chalk like substance. I wonder what that is ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 01:25AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 24, 2008 01:53AM

pssst... find out what happens to farmers after drinking well water thier whole life... then you will find out if inorganic minerals are good for you...

- just stirring the pot smiling smiley

Posted by: jairama ()
Date: April 24, 2008 05:38AM

wow, water, what a broad topic.

First off, pure water is h20 which is nothing but water. That is distilled mechanically or naturally (rain water). Seeing there is probably no place left on earth except for maybe hawaii that can provide you with pure naturally distilled rain water, most are left to distill their own.

If i were you, i would start off - do what one poster said and collect glass wine or applejuice jugs, (drop the plastic) and fill up at your local 25cent fill up. (Get yourself a SIGG or a mason jar for your personal travel water)that will get you 98% clean water. (there is some question about the teflon element that RO systems use and what might be added to the water by it)At this point you could take it a bit further and leave your jugs out in the sun and moonlight to further help the water forget the nasties it once contained. you can draw pictures or words and have them laminated and place your water on them. I draw yantras and place my water on them. You can prill your water, salt your water, pray your water, stir your water, you can pretty much will your water to be all it can be for you. Or just trust that your vibration is high enough to transform all that it consumes to become life giving nectar

Agora yoga anyone?

Date: April 24, 2008 07:18AM

Context Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pssst... find out what happens to farmers after
> drinking well water thier whole life... then you
> will find out if inorganic minerals are good for
> you...
>
>
> - just stirring the pot smiling smiley

Ok, you've piqued my interest. What "happens to them"?

Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 24, 2008 01:21PM

The inorganic minerals build up in the body, and harden/clog it.

[www.road-to-health.com]

Date: April 24, 2008 01:31PM

Posted by: Context (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2008 06:21AM

The inorganic minerals build up in the body, and harden/clog it.

Every time I clean out the boiling chamber in my water distiller I look at the junk that was in the water and I am glad its not going into my body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables