Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

High fruit and diabetes
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: April 22, 2008 04:49PM

Hi,

I recently posted about frequent urination crisis resulting in dry mouth and dehydration on high fruit.

Someone pointed out the possibility of diabetes. I'm 21 years old and this scares me because I never thought I could have such a problem. I hope eating raw food didn't cause such a problem while it's supposed to help.

Anyways, considering the possibility of diabetes, what should I be careful about now? Is it primordial that I see a doctor about this urination thing? I don't like seeing them and otherwise I have a good health. Also, I don't want him just telling me I shouldn't eat raw.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High fruit and diabetes
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 22, 2008 04:58PM

My doctor didn't tell me that I shouldn't eat raw - infact he said if It works for me then he's quite happy with it.

If the urination crises hasn't eased then I would see a doctor. After all you don't have anything to lose - you can always ignore what they say if you choose. I would be a little careful about trying to guess about what may be wrong with you because you could be barking up completely the wrong tree.

good luck with what ever you decide to do

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 22, 2008 05:19PM

I've been eating all fruit for years...and my blood sugar tested at 50 a few weeks ago. My suggestion is to start regularly testing your blood sugar and/or see your health care professional if you are concerned. Most communities offer some form of free diabetes testing. Keep track of your numbers over 30 days and see if they are trending up or down.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 22, 2008 09:39PM

If your new to raw it could just be your body adjusting. Try eating more vegetables and add some brown rice to slow down. The brown rice helped me.
Just a thought.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:23PM

Eating a lot of fat is actually worse than eating fruit for diabetes--it has something to do with the production of leptin.

I do not have anyone close to me with diabetes, so my brain did not properly log all of the details. Can someone here add to this? =)

Date: April 22, 2008 10:42PM

Well I hope it's just my body adjusting because I don't want new diseases appearing because I'm eating raw food.

I've been raw since January and I will surely up my greens consumption.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:52PM

Like phantom I have also heard that fats are a problem for diabetics. I have heard that fats, and especially the fats that are tampered with as opposed to natural fats, cause blockages in the cells insulin receptors and interfere with the normal function of the body.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:18AM

sebzzz,

If you are feeling healthy, odds are your body is just getting used to eating high volumes of raw foods. Over time, your need to urinate will decrease as you decrease your meals in the day. I have 2 meals a day, and I typically need to urinate within an hour of eating (though I may do so a few times in the hour), and after that, I don't have the need again until I eat the next meal.

When I first started raw, I was eating 5 or more meals a day, and I typically needed to urinate a few times after eating each meal. This means I could be going to the bathroom 10 to 15 times a day (instead of the 4-6 times nowadays).

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: April 23, 2008 07:02AM

If you have diabetes, you would have experienced the symptoms before eating raw. Just because you went raw and started eating a lot of fruit, then started urinating, I don't think means that you suddenly have the disease.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 23, 2008 02:00PM

Interesting, those are my findings exactly Bryan - if that helps at all :O)

Date: April 23, 2008 07:41PM

I think if a person is grazing frequently on high water content foods and also drinking water then they will urinate frequently and it will be more of a what goes in must come out situation rather then a symptom of diabetes or anything else except normal flow.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: April 23, 2008 10:41PM

The what goes in must come out is logic but it's not that when what goes out is more than what goes in and you're thirsty as hell and have a dry mouth.

However, I'm putting faith in the fact that it might just be my body adjusting.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 11:00PM

I asked my doctor last time this exact queston. I eat lot of fruits and I told her wll I get diabetes if i keep doing that. My blood sugar was normal before raw. My doctor assured me that fruit does not cause diabetes - her exact words were "twinkies and potato chips do". after I went raw and have been high raw for a year now, I had another physical last month and the blood sugar was lower than previous time. My cholesterol is just 130 and she said thats perfect also. So have no worries.

For your particular problem, I think that your body is adjusting to all the "pure" water that you are getting in veggies and fruits. I still think though, may be you should see a doctor to be sure. just my opinion.

Take care
A Iyer

Date: April 23, 2008 11:55PM

Posted by: sebzzz (IP Logged)
Date: April 23, 2008 03:41PM

and you're thirsty as hell and have a dry mouth.

Being thirsty and having a dry mouth when eating high water content foods and drinking plenty of water is the opposite of my experiences. It sounds like you should get checked out as anuiyer7 suggests.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:51AM

Hi Sebzz,

I have the same problem as you. When I eat a high portion of my diet raw, I am CONSTANTLY in the bathroom. Like, at least once an hour, but more often every half-hour. I DO have a glucometer (blood testing machine) and my blood sugar is in the normal range... although prior to eating more raw my blood sugar was in the pre-diabetic and diabetic range. There's no way to really tell unless you can get a doctor to perscribe you a glucometer, though.

Many new cases of diabetes are asymptomatic or don't follow the usual course of symptoms... so test just in case. But yes, as the doc says it's not fruit that causes diabetes, it's chips and twinkies!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: April 24, 2008 05:58PM

I really hope all this nightmare is just a big detox.

Now it seems that I get this dry mouth at random times even when I don't eat fruit and I'm still losing weight and at 129 Lbs and 6' tall this is not really good.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 24, 2008 09:23PM

Sebzzz, why worry? All you'd be doing is consulting with a medical dr. MDs aren't going to hold a gun to your head to do something you don't want to do.

Ask them to run the tests as if it was a yearly physical. At the very least they'd do a blood test to see if everything was normal.

If everything is totally normal, it still wouldn't be a loss. You'd have a record of where you are now. Down the road you might feel the need to get tested again and by comparing the results of now and then you'd have an idea of what the diet has done to help you or not.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:50PM

Frequent urination, rapid weight loss, constantly thirsty, are all very good reasons to see a doctor. It definitely won't hurt.

Date: April 25, 2008 01:13AM

The things is, all this seems to come out now that I'm raw. There must be something wrong somewhere. This way of eating is not supposed to leave anyone behind.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 25, 2008 06:05AM

Maybe, whatever it is, was going to manifest itself and the timing just happened when you became raw but was not triggered by being raw.

Regardless, you have to find out what you are dealing with first and then you can take a proactive approach. Eating raw might be the way treat it.

How long have you been raw and how long have you been losing weight?

Date: April 25, 2008 02:11PM

I've been raw for almost 4 months now and I think I've been loosing weight slowly since the beginning. I was 138 Lbs and now 128 Lbs.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: May 18, 2008 01:28PM

On the topic of diabetes, there is plenty of evidence that whole fruits actually help to avoid these kinds of problems, for example:

Citrus Compound May Be Key To Diabetes Breakthrough

POSTED: 8:53 am EDT May 17, 2008
UPDATED: 9:09 am EDT May 17, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Citrus crops like grapefruits and grapes contain a compound that could help the diets of diabetes patients and even prevent it, according to Central Florida scientists.

The report featured Central Floridian Linda Hambelton, who takes 69 pills a day to treat her diabetes.

Hambelton has had three strokes, three heart attacks and 22 eye operations after suffering temporary blindness. She had a pancreas transplant and a kidney transplant.

"I wouldn't say I have good days anymore, I would say I have better days," Hambelton said.

But, there may be hope for diabetes patients via citrus crops.

Two scientists discovered a compound called emulin while researching the weight loss properties of grapefruit. The compound is found in the peels of tropical fruits.

"This product mimics the activity of insulin," A&M Metabolics researcher Joseph Ahrens said.

The idea is to extract the compound from the peel of the fruit, filter and purify it to make a tasteless substance that acts as a sugar buffer when added to foods, Local 6 reporter Cooper reported.

Studies in Type-2 diabetic rats show great results.

Rats fed the equivalent of a brownie with emulin showed a drop in glucose by as much as 27 percent.

"The control groups that were in the non-treatment group expired," scientist Daryl Thompson said.

"The rats died?" Local 6's Steven Cooper said.

"The rats died," Thompson said.

Emulin works by reducing the amount of carbohydrates absorbed after meals and the amount of glucose manufactured by the liver. It also speeds the removal of excess sugar from the bloodstream.

From [www.local6.com]

As for your other concerns, as well as consulting with a doctor, you could make sure that you are receiving adequate amounts of calories and nutrients from free websites such as [www.fitday.com]

Cheers,
J

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 18, 2008 02:37PM

Check your blood sugar that takes 2 seconds, then go from there

Post what you are eating so that the experienced guys here can help you out. But certainly see a doctor AS WELL.

Posted by: orangeflame ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:48AM

if you are vehemently oppossed to seeing a western medical doctor..or would like a second opinion if s/he tells you to stop eating raw, you could consider a naturopathic doctor or natural practitioner.

if you have regular access to a computer (i am assuming you do as you are on the message boards) you could research online to find a reputable one in your area.

don't get yourself worried in the meantime..i'm sure that you will be FINE.

good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables