Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tonsils
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2008 05:21PM

hey all, i am wondering about these little sentinels. i had mine taken out after many, many years of infections but i would like to avoid this for the little ones. what can you tell me about this mighty tonsil? got any good info about how exactly they function, how they get infected, how to keep them healthy? foods to include and avoid will be the first place i start in case either of them ever gets tonsilitis, herbs too for healing i suppose.
i lost my appendix at age 11, i wonder about keeping that little buddy in shape too.

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tonsils
Date: April 22, 2008 06:35PM

I am 44 and have mine still,and never had any problem with them.
Needing to find lots of wood to knock on anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2008 06:36PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 22, 2008 07:20PM

Here's the wiki link:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-I had mine taken out when I was 12. I would say that if the youngster is eating healthy...and the tonsils do not block the airway....I think removing them is extreme and probably unnecessary.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 22, 2008 08:07PM

i agree, i kept mine until i was 15, well past the age when problems usually clear up. they were practically rotten though, i couldn't take it any more.

i sort of wish they had left a little of them behind, maybe they might have regrown later on. i hear about that happening, it's freaky cool.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:43PM

I felt kind of violated after having my two wisdom teeth out, especially if I knew what I know now--but it was the price I paid to learn about raw. :O

I do still have my tonsils. It feels weird when you lose something.

I always wonder how my cat felt about being declawed...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 22, 2008 11:07PM

I still haven't forgiven my Mother for having my Tonsils taken out before I knew better. They grew back and she had them out a second time. Grrr......WY
P.S. I forgive you Mom.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 23, 2008 01:31AM

I wish I had mine out many, many years before I had them out. I don't miss them.

Date: April 23, 2008 01:46AM

yeah Lee, i kinda felt like that too. mine were so horribly infected over and over again, totally puss filled and sore, they tasted and smelled bad. like i said, they were rotten. my mom took me to a homeopath who suggested that they would clear up by the time i hit 13 but two years later, still disgusting. i really had to have mine out. and my appendix they caught just in time too, they told me later it was the size of a banana when they got it out. nice. reminds me of that simpsons episode where dr hibbard performs an emergency appendectomy with his pocket knife and throws it far away just before it explodes like a bomb. heh.

i had to have all 4 wisdom teeth out too, they were beyond excrutiating. i couldn't open or close my mouth completely, i slept with an ice pack as a pillow for a few days until i just gave in and went for an extraction. thankfully i didn't have any swelling after or need any painkillers, the only disappointment there was that they tossed my teeth out even though i had asked them to save them for me. the nurse was a real c. u. next tuesday about it all too.

well, still don't know much about why or how they get inflamed but i'm just going to keep up the healthy mommying and hope for the best. both of the little darlings have runny noses right now but they are hardly ever sick and this is super mild anyhow.

thanks all!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 23, 2008 04:07AM

The Tonsils, and Appendix, both serve useful purposes. The Tonsils act as Filters, and the Appendix secretes fluid to aid digestion. We don't need them to survive, but we survive better with them......WY

Date: April 23, 2008 04:48PM

yeah, that's what i think too. i wonder what was going on with my body that they both got sick? we were pretty darn healthy vegetarian growing up but appendix at 11 and tonsils all my life up to age 15 so... something out of whack. that's what i'd like to know about to avoid in the kidlets.

Date: April 25, 2008 03:40AM

Still have mine as well. 28 here.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: April 25, 2008 10:25AM

"The Tonsils, and Appendix, both serve useful purposes. The Tonsils act as Filters, and the Appendix secretes fluid to aid digestion. We don't need them to survive, but we survive better with them......WY"

Never heard of the appendix secreting anything. I have heard of it possibly being part of the lymphatic system. It has rich blood supply but it's not really glandular.

Posted by: Dada ()
Date: April 28, 2008 11:05PM

They took mine out when I was 3. I still remember the day. Now I have 3 kids and one of them has HUGE tonsils and is more sensitive/prone to infections. and I think that the bigger naturally they are the more sensitive they'll be. My other kid has normal size tonsils and she is not that prone to infections. My third kid on the other hand seems to be born without tonsils at all?
So, Coco I am fighting the same battle. Usually, I use salty water (give it to my daughter) to rinse/gargle the troat and/or sage tea to do the same 3x day if possible. Keep them clean as much as possible is the trick. Of course, you have to fight the virus at the same time as colds and flues are the one that cause the infection. I combine homeopathy as well and sometimes use raw honey as it coats the troat nicely and works excellent for caughs especially before bed, but do not drink/let drink anything at least 10-15 min so honey can work.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 30, 2008 02:58AM

You might try spritzing on some 3% hydrogen peroxide onto the tonsil itself. I also heard that someone would paint their kids tonsils with a bit of Lugol's Iodine which took the infection away. I know what Iodine did for my cousin and she had staph that they just could not get rid of and it would keep returning..they have had 100% success with the over the counter Iodine. If I were to use any Iodine that goes inside my kids body though I would use the Lugol's either the 2% or the 5% because it only contains the Iodine and purified water.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 30, 2008 02:22PM

cool prism, thanks for the info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables