Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone stop using shampoo?
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:13PM

I was reading that some experianced raw vegans stop using shampoo and eventually their hair isn't greasy anymore. Has anyone here tried this? Im thinking of trying this in the future because my goal is to eventually only use mechanical hygiene (insted of chemical ie; shampoo, toothpaste, deodourant)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone stop using shampoo?
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:39PM

No shampoo here. I'm a male with just near waist long hair and it has been the best thing for it I feel.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 24, 2008 11:49PM

Yes. About 8 years ago. I just use a cloth and water.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:04AM

Yeah, I've not used shampoo for about 7 years, I gave up soap about the same time, and I finally gave up toothpaste a couple of months ago. (I'm brushing my teeth with a mixture of green clay and wheatgrass powder with a few drops of peppermint and tea tree essential oils.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:26AM

thats so awesome! only a cloth and water... I love it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:10AM

cool rob, i want to try that tooth powder, that sounds awesome!

i'll never give up shampoo and conditioner, never. i use a very natural version, my super curly hair insists on some detangelation and that's fine with me forever. unless i lose my extreme aversion to dreads (ain't gonna happen). ha ha.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:30AM

no shampoo-
ocean water

marigold/rosemary infusion

sunshine

peace-

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2008 02:50AM

I was terrified to start doing this... But I tried it anyway!

The first few weeks, I found every two or every three days my hair started looking thick and greasy. Rinsing with a tiny bit of baking soda solved this problem.

Then, suddenly, it just stopped looking greasy. Within a month. I've only been raw a little over four months.

I constantly had the boyfriend smelling me. There was/is no odd smell.

I also had a dandruff explosion for a day or two a couple of weeks in--and then everything stabilized.

I also do a cool water rinse, it seems to give more body.

People have also reported various positive effects of using apple cider vinegar (beware of smelling like a salad), lemon juice, and coconut oil, depending on your hair situation. Baking soda will cut the grease for sure.

I save SO much money now. My hair, which had been frizzy my whole life--isn't frizzy anymore!! It was the STUPID chemicals ruining my hair!!

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:23PM

I've only tried it for a short period of time. I do use a line of raw vegan products on my hair, though. I guess that's the next best thing... smiling smiley

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:39PM

I use soap for my hair, but only once a month or further in between. I just use Dr. Bronners Peppermint oap diluted 50/50. I need to keep oil in my hair. I actually add almond/coconut oil and herbs to my hair. I wash my hair with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner occasionally.
I have only been raw for 6 days and I am African so there is a big difference. I just wanted to contribute to the thread. smiling smiley

Posted by: Walkern ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:14PM

I do not use shampoo, soap or toothpaste. Don't need them

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:30PM

For you guys not using toothpaste, does that include no toothbrush? I have been using baking soda and sea salt to clean my teeth for about 8 months now, Ive been trying to think up a toothbrush replacement. 2 weeks ago I started using a licorice stick, works, I hope it doesnt turn my teeth yellow.

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 25, 2008 07:27PM

I've been wanting to do the "no poo" for a few months. I think I'll start on Monday. In the meantime, I've been using Dr. Bronners Castile Soap but it's so expensive.

Anyone else want to start a "no poo" hair regimen beginning this Monday? Maybe if we start it together we can give each other support during those "bad hair" days.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2008 07:34PM

What's "no poo," exactly? (No natural B12 supplementation for hair...? tongue sticking out smiley)

I just run my toothbrush under warm water, and I find rinsing several times during a brushing session does the trick. I rinse whenever it stops feeling like fresh water doing good stuff.

I have soap made from only edible ingredients. Would anyone care to elaborate more about ditching the soap, if you have? It's the only thing I still use.

...and coconut oil as a body moisturizer. Yummy smell!

Date: April 25, 2008 07:41PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's "no poo," exactly?
>
No poo means no shampoo or any other hair care products.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 08:36PM

I use baby soap in my hair, but I think I will stop and just rinse hair in plain water. I want to try this...

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 25, 2008 09:59PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would anyone care to elaborate more about ditching
> the soap, if you have?

I just use a flannel (face cloth) to rub my body down while under the shower. Been cleaning myself this way for 6 years and no-one has complained of any smell!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:36PM

I use baking soda and water on my hair. My hair is to my derriere. I don't use toothpaste but I do floss and use a toothbrush to brush my teeth, tongue, and roof. I don't use soap on my face but I still use a Ayurvedic soap on the rest of my body however, I'm not 100% raw yet. I think I could give up the soap if I wanted to. I think it would be better if I were 100% raw vegan before doing it. I don't use any perfumes, colognes, deodorants, antiperspirants, hairspray, make-up, etc. I might try using some make-up again if I could find some that were affordable and good for my skin.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 25, 2008 11:49PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
>Been cleaning myself
> this way for 6 years and no-one has complained of
> any smell!

I somehow do not think this would work so well in a hot humid climate such as Florida.

I get disgusted with my hair if I go 3 days without shampoo.

3 days without soap, I can do in winter, But not in summer.

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: April 26, 2008 12:57AM

I live in south Florida.

I've used only baking soda mixed with water as shampoo for about 3 years now. I use a diluted apple cider vinegar (the cheep stuff at the grocery, not the expensive stuff with the mother of vinegar) as a rinse after washing my hair. No, not smelling like a salad! Hahaha! Just rinse well, and there is no smell. My very long hair is shiny and clean and free of stinky perfumes. I love this baking soda stuff!

Supposedly the ancient Egyptians used something like it for their washing/hygiene needs. I forgot the word they used for it, but they found it naturally in dried lake beds.

Soap? Nope! Not even Pope on a Rope soap!!

Baking soda rubbed between my hands makes my soap. Skin feels so soft and clean afterwards. I also use a loofah to clean myself; good for the lymphatic system or so I heard.

Toothpaste? What a waste! The glycerine supposedly will prevent your teeth from regenerating. I use...you guessed it! Baking soda mixed with a little hydrogen peroxide to brush my teeth. This is an OLD remedy suggested by periodontists back in the day for bleeding gums. It also removes plaque quickly, makes your breath smell nice and is NOT abrasive to teeth. My dentist thinks this alone is responsible for my 180 degree turnaround in plaque buildup. My plaque problem uas HORRIBLE but now, hardly any. Yes, I floss nightly, too. And I rinse with hydrogen peroxide after brushing to kill bacteria.

Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar also make good counter cleaners.

Have fun experimenting!

Date: April 26, 2008 01:17AM

I took a shower today and did not use shampoo. I spent a lot of time rinsing my hair under the water. My hair looks good today. I can't wait to see what it will look like 10 days from now.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 26, 2008 06:15AM

I use water and a plastic scalp scrubber and comb. My hair is curly and used to be really dry, i used to use Black hair care products on it, tons of gel, mousse, pommade, leave-in conditioner, hot oil treatments, etc. so i understand the dry frizz thing.

I use some shampoo every few months or so if my hair gets a lot of smell in it like from working around fires/smoke all day or once recently after visiting my family and being immersed in greasy meat smell for days!

It turns out that shampoo removes natural oils in the hair then we use conditioner to add some back in. You can just skip these extra 2 steps and leave it as it is. When I first did this my head itched a lot for a while but eventually that passed once things normalized. For the most part water seems to work just fine.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: April 26, 2008 11:43AM

Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide. I used it straight as a mouthwash and it bleached many of my taste buds off.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2008 12:43PM

baking soda daily will erode your enamel, any good dentist will tell you this.
peroxide should never be used by anyone with metal fillings, it oxidizes them and that is very, very bad for you. and NEVER use it straight, you MUST dilute it.
there is toothsoap out there without glycerin that is supposed to be the best thing. as a person with soft teeth i can't get away with using nothing or even using a "natural" toothpaste, i develop cavities very quickly (even eating a mineral rich, low sugar diet). perhaps this will change over time, i'm keeping an eye on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 12:43PM by coco.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 26, 2008 12:44PM

Arugula: I've lived in South/Central Florida most of my life. I think everyone is different, but I certainly remain fresh and clean smelling with just well water and a wash-cloth. You know? I think there IS a high state of internal/external cleanliness out there...for those who want it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:10PM

The more basic, simple or pure the diet is, the easier it is to go without the shampoo and soaps when you get down to it.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:47PM

I use morrocco international hairproducts. They are raw vegan, all natural, organic. Smell incredibly yummy. FOund them through a post on this list.

I use their sea shampoo as a face wash, it helps my acne.
They are non foaming.
[www.morroccomethod.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2008 03:49PM by cocoa_nibs.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:47PM

Wow thanks for all the great replies! I havent used toothpaste for 2 months, just a toothbrush and floss.

Im still uncertain if this is possible, but eventually Id like for my fillings to fall out and my cavities to regenerate and heal?? Does anyone have opinions on if this is posible?

roxeli - I'll go "no poo" with you.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 26, 2008 03:50PM

I use 1 teaspoon of Dr Bronners and my urine for my shampoo and my hair is great.I have a very fine and oily hair and the urine keeps it very shinny and clean.
For my teeth I use peppermint oil .

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:30PM

Book suggestion:

Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
by Ramiel Nagel

[www.amazon.com]

Cavities CAN be healed with nutrition. What the author suggests is quite anti-vegetarian, so, as with many things, you gotta keep what's useful and disgard the rest.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables