Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

question for raw mommies
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: April 25, 2008 02:42PM

I need some meal ideas for my 2yr old. Fruit and oats is not a problem,but Im stuck on lunch/dinner ideas. What do/did you feed your toddlers?

Haida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for raw mommies
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 03:00PM

there are many ideas if you do a search. Seeds and avocado are good because they need fat.

Date: April 25, 2008 05:23PM

Thanks rost0037,
seeds and avocados are also easy, sunflower, hemp, and flax seeds are a part of our daily diet. She (my 2yr old) eats avocado about every other day, or every day when we get some good ones (good avocados are not easy to find in northeast USA). Dried fruit, fresh fruit, nuts, those are easy to feed her (she eats it), smoothies are the only way I have found to give her greens. And she loves onions, dulse and olives. Sometimes I feel like I should give her more. I thought perhaps someone out there might have some other ideas, especially for dinner.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 25, 2008 07:12PM

yesterday i made some snacky cracker things for my little, he is 7 but would have eaten them when he was 2 i think. i used a regular whole grain cracker with a slice of cucumber, some sunflower seed pate and a halved cherry tomato on top. you could omit the cracker or use a dehydrated version or just use the cucumber slice. the seed pate is good in celery sticks too or as a dip with any veggie. it works in a nori roll instead of rice and sometimes i make a wrap with a baby romaine leaf and fill it with chopped veggies and seed pate.
zucchini "pasta" is awesome too, if you don't have a spiral slicer just make long strips with a veggie peeler and top with a pesto sauce or sundried tomato sauce, add in marinated veggies if you like.
marinated veggies on their own are good too, you can get broccoli and cauliflower pretty soft.
cauliflower makes a terrific "mashed potato", there are recipes out there for gravy too made of macadamia nuts and/or other things.
i think a seed pate or cauliflower pate would be fun in mushroom caps with the mushrooms fresh or marinated for flavour.

oh great, now i'm hungry!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 25, 2008 07:27PM

Coco... Will you make me lunch? =D

Date: April 25, 2008 08:53PM

anytime. we're going to visit TO sometime in the next couple of months, i'll meet you at toronto sprouts for a raw sandwich smiling smiley
can't promise i'll go sun bathing with ya though, still too chilly for me to be bikini-ing i'm afraid!

Posted by: sprouter ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:06AM

sometimes i give my kiddies mangoes for dinner, they love mama for that one!

Posted by: rwillow76 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 06:31AM

Throw several (5 or 6) roma tomatoes in the food processor along with 1/4 onion, several garlic cloves, a little water, parsley, oregano, and basil and a little sea salt. Process for a couple minutes. Then add mushrooms, bellpepper and process a little more. Add a couple dates if you want a sweeter taste. Then add a handful or so of walnuts or pecans. Process. You know have a mess of what I think resembles raw spaghetti sauce stuff. Yummo. Adjust seasonings as needed. Now fill lettuce wraps with this stuff along with avacados, olives, raw cheese (or not), and whatever else you want. My fave food in the world is speghetti so when I have a craving for cooked skettie, I make this stuff. It really hits the spot. Of course I just skip the lettuce part and just eat it out of the bowl. Who wants to wash an extra dish, right?

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:26AM

green smoothies.

Date: April 29, 2008 02:58PM

mmm rwillow, that sounds great!
Thank you all for your great ideas.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 29, 2008 04:17PM

Popcorn can be loaded with so much good stuff that you want your kids to eat that's it's usefull even if it isn't raw. I load it with coconut oil, and brewers yeast, and seaweed in powder form. Popcorn also helped me get over my pasta habit, I would load it up with pasta sauce.

My kids eat nori with mustard or tomato sauce on it, You spread one nori lightly with the condiment put another nori on top and then cut it into bite-sized peices with a scissors. Two of my kids love this stuff, and bounce around the kitchen while I'm making it yelling "seaweed red" and "seaweed yellow", the other kid won't touch it.

One of my kids survives on frozen bananas, just peel, freeze and serve by wrapping a paper towel around one end. This is more for older kids with bigger mouths, my todler doesn't eat it this way.

It took me a long time to get them to eat seeds, the solution was to mix equal parts of coconut oil and agave nectar, add carob powder and then ground up nuts (or hemp powder) until its the right consistancy. I think the right consistancy would be, harder than pancake dough but a little softer than cookie dough. Dump it on a peice of wax paper and fold the paper over and spread the mixture out between the paper, then cool it in the fridge. The coconut oil will harden the mixture and then you can break off peices or cut it with a pizza cutter. We call this "chocolate nuts".

They also eat a lot of frozen berries, like blueberries and rasperries. It's very easy to make this for them, just dump the frozen berries out of the bag you bought them in, into a bowl. It's a little messy though. I used to give this to them in their bath (before the soap was used) because they would need a bath anyway after they ate it. Now that they are older, they eat it everywhere in the house.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:05PM

okay,
i'm only 85% raw a lot of the time- so my kiddo gets soaked rice ground and made into pancakes and pizza dough- with pureed tomatoes and veggies on the dough to simulate pizza (daddy gave it to him.) but he doesn't notice if it's cold and the tomatoes aren't cooked. he loves salads and eats dinner out of my salad bowl. almonds, sunflower seeds and all.

smoothies are always a hit, and he loves all nuts. so almonds and dates are a favorite snack, and travel well.

really, he eats whatever i'm eating, i just make enough for three (breastfeeding) and well all sit down and chow for a while.

peace-

Date: April 30, 2008 04:13PM

ok mamaC, explain what you are doing with that rice, that sounds pretty interesting!

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 30, 2008 06:20PM

My 2 year old grand daughter simply loves anything fermented; pickles and sauerkrauts.
She doesn't care for it if the sauerkraut is very spicy like kimchi but just sour doesn't faze her a bit.

We were having some trouble getting my grandson to eat just before he turned 2. What we did was take him to the zoo and point out to him what, his favorites, the monkeys were eating. Monkey boys like to climb on monkey bars and eat monkey food. At the time he didn't realize he'd never grow a tail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables